• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Blown Tweeters - Polk R700

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSmith

Master Contributor
But looking at the pictures
Yeah it may have helped the whole thread if the OP posted the pics to start with... clearly physical damage, so I'm surprised Polk were happy to replace them under warranty assuming they didn't arrive in such a state.

JSmith

D

Deleted member 48726

Yeah it may have helped the whole thread if the OP posted the pics to start with... clearly physical damage, so I'm surprised Polk were happy to replace them under warranty assuming they didn't arrive in such a state.

JSmith
Really? You guys can tell from a picture and without seeing the voicecoil? -Impressive.

I've seen synthetic materials expand and crimp from temperature and settling in a different state than original. Think of crimping tube for cables.

croseiv

Really? You guys can tell from a picture and without seeing the voicecoil? -Impressive.

I've seen synthetic materials expand and crimp from temperature and settling in a different state than original. Think of crimping tube for cables.
I suppose if the tweeter sucked in somehow and fused at the coil, you might get that appearance. However, tweeters don't move that deep at the coil. Looks pressed in. Maybe the three-year-old toddler was having a go at tweeter presses.

OP
hoppy IPA

hoppy IPA

JSmith
lay out how it's so clear that it's physical damage for the laymen here since its so obvious to you.

@Prana Ferox @MAB @MaxwellsEq @croseiv @JSmith @AdamG247 - I've already stated my home is child free & there is no chance of anything "poking" the tweeters. Insightful feedback is welcome if you have any.

Last edited:
OP
hoppy IPA

hoppy IPA

I suppose if the tweeter sucked in somehow and fused at the coil, you might get that appearance. However, tweeters don't move that deep at the coil. Looks pressed in. Maybe the three-year-old toddler was having a go at tweeter presses.

Looks like pressed in tweets, Not "blown". But physically damaged.

you made an account today to make these posts:facepalm:

croseiv

you made an account today to make these posts:facepalm:
I created my account to discuss Yamaha amplifiers. I don't like beer, especially hoppy beer. Most "blown" tweeters show no external signs of having "blown".

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
lay out how it's so clear that it's physical damage for the laymen here since its so obvious to you.
Everyone here is just trying to help and making comments based on the pictures provided, plus I didn't speculate on how physical damage actually happened. :)

I'm sure you appreciate much of the time when tweeters are damaged in that way, it is has usually been pushed in.

I provided a detailed article on tweeters being overdriven and how tweeters can fry, however you never answered these questions posted by others actually;
That's strange.Deformation means A LOT of power.
Levels of playback?Listening distance?
Did they get shipped to you like this?
So have you been hammering the speakers very loudly for long periods at high volume at all, i.e. excessive power?

Anyway, all is well... Polk gladly sent you new tweeters and you have repaired them, happy days.

JSmith

Beave

Major Contributor
This looks like traumatic damage to me - and by traumatic I mean either a) poked, or b) some abrupt very high level signal lower in frequency got through to them*

*Like some kind of amp popping when turning on with volume at really high level

This is not some kind of longer term high volume burnout of the voicecoil due to sustained loud volumes.

So I'd be worried that either the amp is going to do it again and/or that the crossover isn't sufficiently filtering out lower frequency signals.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Two possible causes
1) Running sine sweeps at high spl
2) tweeter construction being with open/vented back chamber, high pressure changes from the woofer. Perhaps also because of excessive room eq of response dips

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor

@Prana Ferox @MAB @MaxwellsEq @croseiv @JSmith @AdamG247 - I've already stated my home is child free & there is no chance of anything "poking" the tweeters. Insightful feedback is welcome if you have any.
Don't mind us, we're all interested in how this could happen and speculating.

In a studio I worked in, a certain main monitor used to burn through tweeters almost weekly due to sustained high volume levels. I don't recall any having physical deformation, though.

Perhaps this is a "black swan" - 99% of deformation is related to shipping, falling over, finger poking etc. but this is the 1% where some alternative phenomenon is happening.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Don't mind us, we're all interested in how this could happen and speculating.

In a studio I worked in, a certain main monitor used to burn through tweeters almost weekly due to sustained high volume levels. I don't recall any having physical deformation, though.

Perhaps this is a "black swan" - 99% of deformation is related to shipping, falling over, finger poking etc. but this is the 1% where some alternative phenomenon is happening.
The strange thing about it is that both tweeters ended up the same way.
It's like something sucked them,not pushed.

Maybe the voice coil stuck in the magnet so air from the rest of the drivers did the rest?
It's certainly odd.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
The strange thing about it is that both tweeters ended up the same way.
It's like something sucked them,not pushed.

Maybe the voice coil stuck in the magnet so air from the rest of the drivers did the rest?
It's certainly odd.
You are right, they do look sucked in! Perhaps a very powerful DC charge could do this?

Sokel

Master Contributor
You are right, they do look sucked in! Perhaps a very powerful DC charge could do this?
It can be seen on this pic where the surround is even more sucked than the dome,to the point it has merged with the frame:

1691138406273.png

I wouldn't play anything on them before checking everything on the chain,it takes a lot of fault for this to happen.

MAB

Major Contributor
:rolleyes::facepalm:lay out how it's so clear that it's physical damage for the laymen here since its so obvious to you.

You totally didn’t read what I posted.
I never mentioned a kid.
Totally visible from your pictures that the tweeters got pushed in. I sold hifi for years, it happens and your tweeters are pushed in. Why don’t you look at the pictures you posted? Or your tweeters?:facepalm: I asked if they got shipped to you that way. I also asked if you set the speakers down on their faces. I’m now guessing you did something like that. So maybe you’re the ‘kid’ that you are getting worked up about!

Well, you got Polk to replace under warranty the tweeters that you damaged. Good job!:rolleyes: Perhaps just be a bit more careful. I’m not sure you gonna get more replacements! Or help.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom