• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BK Electronic subwoofer - any experience?

Foxenfurter

I am thinking of buying a BK Electronics subwoofer. BK are a UK based manufacturer, which is a plus for me and seem to be a respected brand, and the on-paper price performance looks great. I am probably going to get a 10 inch one to complement my main speakers, and I would like the smallest sub I can get away with.

The main Speakers in room response is -6 db approx at 35 Hz and -3db at 40 hz. and the room is 5.5 m * 4.5m with 3.2 m ceilings, the lounge is semi-open plan with an adjacent room 4m * 4m and also 3.2m high ceiling. To keep domestic harmony I am likely to place the sub in a corner behind the right speaker.

I will be applying room correction through DSP and the three other corners of the room have furniture placed in them (hopefully ameliorating bass standing waves somewhat)

Given this I would like some views on whether
  • I would benefit from such a sub.
  • placement in a corner like this going to cause more problems then it solves
  • a downward or forward firing sub would be better.
Thanks in advance for any observations.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What are your satellite speakers? The sub should be a match regarding max SPL.

OP
F

Foxenfurter

NB this is for music not HT, so I amonly using front speakers and they are an Opera SP3 a very limited run and I don't have the spec sheet. they have 2 6.5 inch scan-speak drivers from memory one is mid-bass and the other is a bass driver. I can easily get 100 db at listening position, and haven't tested louder than this

diablo

Forum Donor
When I set up my first cinema system in 2010 I bought a BK XXLS400 FF sub. Placement options were limited and it had a pronounced single-note boom until I got a DSpeaker Antimode box to flatten the response. It then worked very well, until last year when the amp died. The solid box is now a hall seat with shoe storage. :D Replaced with SVS2000pro in my new cinema room.

Also bought a Double Gem when I moved to my present house in 2018 - to go behind the TV. That also worked well (now with MiniDSP correction) until it developed an intermittent hum. I bought a new plate amp from BK and it is now working well again.

Maybe I've been unlucky but I've found out since that I could probably have sent the amps of both to BK for repair at moderate cost.

From what you say about your present set-up I think a small sub will enhance your system. My lounge tower speakers have reasonably good bass and go quite deep, but the sub helps if I want more than just 'flat' bass.

FF or DF? Depends on your floor. Shouldn't actually sound much different.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
I’ve been using a BK Gemini II for just over a year in a room just a bit smaller than yours.

I’m very pleased with the result, using DSP (Dirac).

I’ve tried it in various positions and can’t hear any difference, maybe thanks to Dirac.

I always thought of the Gemini II as a cheap introduction to using a subwoofer. Recently, I decided to buy an SVS SB-1000 at a good discount, as I wanted to try a larger FF sealed unit.

So far, I can’t decide which one I prefer!

Sashoir

Forum Donor
I have two of their Gemini II which are much more than I need, output-wise (but I listen to music *much* more softly than it seems most people do on here).

In a ~4.5×5×3.5m room (well, the floor boards are over a void) they do very well for my musical tastes. The build quality seems pretty sturdy, too; my loudspeakers used to be on wall brackets until one failed, and one of my sub-woofers took a direct hit from a Kef R3 from about 5' unscathed.

I didn't think very highly of their logistics company, though.

Last edited:

XpanD

Forum Donor
When I set up my first cinema system in 2010 I bought a BK XXLS400 FF sub. Placement options were limited and it had a pronounced single-note boom until I got a DSpeaker Antimode box to flatten the response. It then worked very well, until last year when the amp died. The solid box is now a hall seat with shoe storage. :D Replaced with SVS2000pro in my new cinema room.

Also bought a Double Gem when I moved to my present house in 2018 - to go behind the TV. That also worked well (now with MiniDSP correction) until it developed an intermittent hum. I bought a new plate amp from BK and it is now working well again.

Maybe I've been unlucky but I've found out since that I could probably have sent the amps of both to BK for repair at moderate cost.

From what you say about your present set-up I think a small sub will enhance your system. My lounge tower speakers have reasonably good bass and go quite deep, but the sub helps if I want more than just 'flat' bass.

FF or DF? Depends on your floor. Shouldn't actually sound much different.
Can echo the sentiment on the XXLS400 here, excellent sub. I got mine at the end of 2010, and it's still going strong. Plenty of output as well, sitting in the corner of a room with roughly similar volume -- it'll happily knock things off of shelves and make the walls make terrifying noises, and I'm only at ~60% gain.

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Double Gem looks like a good compact support, but to be sure it would be great if you download REW and use Room Sim to check how it shall work with your exact placement.
I don't think that any other subwoofer solution will have less floor space and will be cheaper that this, including delivery.

D

Deleted member 54137

I've had an xxls400 for years. It's still working and is currently giving a little extra bass in the kitchen. I also have a pair of Double Gems sitting under a pair of Elac DBR62s. I run them via a minidsp 2x4 HD. Having 2 does even the bass out a bit (but I do have an almost square room).

Top Bottom