• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Billie Eilish

dfuller

Major Contributor
Short: Nope.

Long: The way that mixes like these are done, they're usually assembled from multiple mono sources panned around the stereo field. Generally the most important things are panned center (lead vocal, bass, kick, snare/claps, any sort of lead instrument melody).

Last edited:

MCH

Major Contributor
Not my copy of when we all fall asleep... but it is true that some songs might seem mono

jcarys

I haven't listened to the new album yet, but the last one certainly sounded like it was recorded on a MacBook in the bedroom.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I haven't listened to the new album yet, but the last one certainly sounded like it was recorded on a MacBook in the bedroom.
That, it is. Her brother does all that in a bedroom....

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The way that mixes like these are done, they're usually assembled from multiple mono sources panned around the stereo field. Generally the most important things are panned center (lead vocal, bass, kick, snare/claps, any sort of lead instrument melody).

Yeah, that's standard practice and I'm sure that's exactly how Billie is recorded - as a mono vocal panned 50-50 L & R. But I prefer to record lead vocals in stereo, even if the mikes are just inches apart in the booth, because - and this might be just my ears and brain - I find that if you're monitoring (or playing back at home) on a system capable of ultra-precise phantom images, a purely mono vocal might sound fine, but it seems to have no physical dimension, which I find weirdly disconcerting.

MCH

Major Contributor
That (the kids' bedroom made superhit) sounds like the typical nice story, but seems there was a bit more to it (from wikipedia):

Screenshot_20210804-235118_Chrome.jpg

dfuller

Major Contributor
Yeah, that's standard practice and I'm sure that's exactly how Billie is recorded - as a mono vocal panned 50-50 L & R. But I prefer to record lead vocals in stereo, even if the mikes are just inches apart in the booth, because - and this might be just my ears and brain - I find that if you're monitoring (or playing back at home) on a system capable of ultra-precise phantom images, a purely mono vocal might sound fine, but it seems to have no physical dimension, which I find weirdly disconcerting.
It's a mono source panned center, plus layers of vocals panned to the sides.

BillH

Forum Donor
It's a mono source panned center, plus layers of vocals panned to the sides.
Would you please take the time to explain “panned center or to the side”
I have a technical background but not in recording.

To me panned is rotated…

Thanks

dfuller

Major Contributor
Would you please take the time to explain “panned center or to the side”
I have a technical background but not in recording.

To me panned is rotated…

Thanks
You can think of it as rotation in the stereo field left to right.

Volume in a stereo recording is dictated by two things: Level (up and down) and pan (left and right). You can sort of think of pan as a zero-sum volume control for both channels, with equal being panned center. Add to right, take away from left.

Records like Billie's have dozens of tracks, with many of them being vocals. Vocals are usually recorded with one microphone, so they're considered a mono source. You can pan a mono source around a stereo mix.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I am impressed with the bass on the vinyl mastering. It is louder than any other record that doesn't track badly that I can think of. Also better than the other two records of her music I have.
What I was told by a cutting engineer that you basically have a 3-way tradeoff between low end, level, and side length. How many disks is it, 1? 2? If it's just one it must be printed relatively low in level.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Wow didn't know she had a new album out. I'll be listening to that tonight :). Bad Guy is probably my favorite album of the past few years.
It's very, very good - and quite a bit more diverse.

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am impressed with the bass on the vinyl mastering. It is louder than any other record that doesn't track badly that I can think of. Also better than the other two records of her music I have.

Funny. It's the bass on the last CD that makes an otherwise nifty album unplayable and unlistenable for me.

tonyo123

I like the music as it is maturing toward a more jazzy sound. However, I still like her EP and first album better, but, have listened to 'Happier then Ever' only a few times - still very good. What she and her brother are doing with the close mike is very good. However, what bothers me about this album is that when the music picks up there is compression with very audible clipping, especially in the bass. This is very visible in a waveform plot. The average DR value is 5. Very disappointing. Is it too much to wish that they would release a compressed version for portables and an unmastered version for home listening? Yes, guess it is or they and others would do it. Maybe the vinyl is better mastered, usually it is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom