• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex Nilai + Freya plus or...

Someone on this forum steered met from considering the Heaven Eleven Billy Amp or other "coloured" amp like the reissue of the pure class A Musical Fidelity A1 to choosing a Shiit Freya plus and a separate power amp so I can choose / find out if and when I like tube distortion / coloration.

But looking at the Schiit at €1099 and couple it with a Hypex Nilai stereo kit with 2 x 250W at €1599 total investment is €2700

And I still have to buy a STREAMER / DAC

How would this compare to buying a all in one integrated like the Hegel H190 which includes streaming and DAC? Or other options for a slightly warm amp?

Thanks

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Someone on this forum steered met from considering the Heaven Eleven Billy Amp or other "coloured" amp like the reissue of the pure class A Musical Fidelity A1 to choosing a Shiit Freya plus and a separate power amp so I can choose / find out if and when I like tube distortion / coloration.

But looking at the Schiit at €1099 and couple it with a Hypex Nilai stereo kit with 2 x 250W at €1599 total investment is €2700

And I still have to buy a STREAMER / DAC

How would this compare to buying a all in one integrated like the Hegel H190 which includes streaming and DAC? Or other options for a slightly warm amp?

Thanks
Why not get a DAC and hook it up directly to the power amps or why do you need the Schiit?

Before getting the Hegel rather go for an AVR eg Denon X4800 or 6800. All in one box: streamer, dac, dsp and even poweramp, but you can hook up separate power amps like the above for more power. Is reviewed here and certainly better than the Schiit and the Hegel for less money. (Even if you don’t hook up a TV). You can use the DSP to tame your room modes plus adjust to any „warmth“ you desire.

Last edited:
OP
J
That is an idea and i could look to more full sounding dac, but I would also like to connect a turntable (i have a phonostage) plus some way of connecting to my tv. (Bluetooth or HMDI)

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
Review of the Nilai:

This is a review of the H95, not the H190, but it may give some insight into the Hegel sound:

Top Bottom