• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best value streamer with no DAC

Sorinsro

If rasberry is using spotify connect i think that you can't use gapless function. This is the reason i'm still searching for other solutions.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If rasberry is using spotify connect i think that you can't use gapless function. This is the reason i'm still searching for other solutions.
Quite correct. When using Spotify Connect on an RPi it will only load one track at a time from your Spotify playlist on to your RPi playlist, which means that gapless playback doesn't work. I use Qobuz and that loads the entire playlist on to the RPi, thus allowing gapless playback.

navin

Second of all, since you're very determined to use I2S over HDMI then the Pi2AES is perfect for you. I'm also not sure why would you need a reclocker in your case.

Awesome idea. Took me a while (I am old) to read and assimilate the threads and PDF below.
Dummies Guide to Pi2AES! Throw away your PC or laptop. | Super Best Audio Friends
A tale of 3 digital transports (shootout with Unison USB and AES) | Super Best Audio Friends
CMA102 Motherboard (pi2design.com)

From what I understand Pi2AES is a strictly a PCM device. The limitation of the 24.576Mhz and 22.792Mhz clocks means only streams up to 176k/192k will be supported. For (DSD 512) 352k/384k support one would need a 45/49Mhz clock. Similarly to support (DSD 1024) 705/768k support one would need 90/98Mhz clocks.

Silver1omo

Quite correct. When using Spotify Connect on an RPi it will only load one track at a time from your Spotify playlist on to your RPi playlist, which means that gapless playback doesn't work. I use Qobuz and that loads the entire playlist on to the RPi, thus allowing gapless playback.

if you use LMS you can install the Spotty plugin and you load tracks, albums with no issue.

MrHifiTunes

it's not a streamer without DAC but for 99 USD....topping D10/Rpi where topping cleans the noisy USB from the Rpi.

3125b

Major Contributor
"This video is brought to you by Audioquest"
Well, that's your sign of quality right there ... argh.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@3125b This is no Audioquest product involved or mentioned in this review. So I don't get your point

I got to understand @3125b 's meaning:

1608927353602.png

I invite you to click on your own link at what 0 - 8 seconds and listen to the off-voice saying : "This video is brought to you by Audioquest" ... so ?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So the point is that Audioquest prefer the topping above their own products?

No. The point is the Darko slot is sponsored by Audioquest, notorious for what many describe as "snake oil" products. Especially of the cable / power accessory types. This may cause some to think Darko is something of a shill and his opinion on any product is coloured by that view.

MrHifiTunes

No. The point is the Darko slot is sponsored by Audioquest, notorious for what many describe as "snake oil" products. Especially of the cable / power accessory types. This may cause some to think Darko is something of a shill and his opinion on any product is coloured by that view.
Thanks for the explanation. All reviews I consider coloured. After all this hobby is about music enjoyment which is a personal thing. So i take every review with 2 grains of salt.

Pavel

No tests. Only subjective impressions. A lot of RPi owners are switching to BeagleBone without regret.
BeagleBone consumes significantly less than RPi - less than 300mA. This is good for the sound.
I am using BeagleBone to output audio over I2S. This is its main advantage. It can play native DSD512 without problem. USB playback is also good.

Try it! Pure firmware is free and actively supported by me.

Last edited:

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No tests. Only subjective impressions. A lot of RPi owners are switching to BeaglrBone without regret.
BeagleBone consumes significantly less than RPi - less than 300mA. This is good for the sound.
I am using BeagleBone to output audio over I2S. This is its main advantage. It can play native DSD512 without problem. USB playback is also good.

Try it! Pure firmware is free and actively supported by me.
+1
Interesting alternative indeed.
Relatively very few threads here.
If you master it, you are welcome to initiate a thread of your own.

ezra_s

Forum Donor
Top Bottom