• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best value streamer with no DAC

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
OK thanks I do have spotify premium..
BTW, I was thinking along having a DAC and AMP hat for RPI4 but some suggested that the AMP HAT is not as good. And since AMP needs to be separate perhaps , DAC and AMP should be separate too OR we should get a DAC + AMP combo like SA300 or something, what do you think? I prefer PI+DAC+AMP HATS because it's AIO LOL.
The amp is the weak link when it comes to RPi HATS. I can't really comment on the SA300, as I have no need for a power amp in my set up. Sorry.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
OK thanks I do have spotify premium..
BTW, I was thinking along having a DAC and AMP hat for RPI4 but some suggested that the AMP HAT is not as good. And since AMP needs to be separate perhaps , DAC and AMP should be separate too OR we should get a DAC + AMP combo like SA300 or something, what do you think? I prefer PI+DAC+AMP HATS because it's AIO LOL.
It depends on your priorities. So far as I know we don't have measurements for any of the hat amps, but the datasheet specs for the chips they use aren't great. On the other hand they're probably not dissimilar to the amps in some of the cheaper active speakers that get a recommendation, so if you're after a compact one-box solution they might be a good option. Similarly the hat DACs generally do badly next to something like the D10s, but beat streamers like the Node 2i.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
If just for Spotify Connect, simplest is one of the LinkPlay devices. There are many, but a couple of them from reputable companies include the AudioEngine B-Fi and the Audio Pro Link 1. A larger list using an Amazon search includes names like Nexum, Acemax, August, KEiiD, Taimu, etc, but they all use the LinkPlay A31 module, which does Airplay, DLNA/UPnP and Spotify Connect. They also all use basically the same app, based on LinkPlay's, which supports Qobuz, Tidal, and several others, including Amazon on some versions.

snip3r77

Another side project..so I want to replace my current SMS200 streamer.. it's pretty laggy.
What's the chance that the RPI4 will be able to recognize my USB DAC.

snip3r77

If I were to obtain a 16gb( can't find 8gb ) , would it be sufficient?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Having tried and listen to a number of raspberry Pi solutions they were all very poor, too much noise, poor dynamics, non existent sound stage. Went with Microrendu and Audirvana, excellent solution.
If you look around you'll see a thread with my correspondence with smallgreencomputer about the Rendu. They dodged sending measurements, which I can only surmise means that they can't back up their claims. Certainly the tests here indicate that there is NO difference, not just no AUDIBLE difference in the signal, and certainly no lower noise floor as claimed. Have a look around here and let the scales fall from your ears.

RPG

Forum Donor
If you look around you'll see a thread with my correspondence with smallgreencomputer about the Rendu. They dodged sending measurements, which I can only surmise means that they can't back up their claims. Certainly the tests here indicate that there is NO difference, not just no AUDIBLE difference in the signal, and certainly no lower noise floor as claimed. Have a look around here and let the scales fall from your ears.

Subjectively, having gone, a few months ago (had a microRendu first, then an ultraRendu), to a RPI4 B running Squeezelite as my player a few months ago, there is, indeed, no discernable difference.

Music is still (and here, it is measurably) bit perfect to the dac, and sounds as awesome as ever!

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
If I were to obtain a 16gb( can't find 8gb ) , would it be sufficient?
I assume this is about microSD for Pi4? So long as you're above minimum size for the software you've chosen you should be fine - all the ones I've tried will either give you the option to use any leftover space, or do it automatically the first time you start it up. 16GB shouldn't be a problem.

rytmicznie

Hello
I am asking for advice.
What do you recommend the best streamer for tidal and flac files.
It will be connected to the vinatage amplifier. The best sound possible.
I think to buy a khadas board tone. Do You know something better in this same money. Can be in raspberry pi.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you all.
I require a streamer with a USB-out in order to access the MQA USB-in of my Topping DA90 DAC. Also, I am not technical enough to build a streamer from scratch, like many had kindly suggested was the no-nonsense approach.
That said, I'm more a candidate for a streamer without a DAC, thats bascically Plug & Play, with MQA USB out. Ideally one with a good power supply. Hopefully within ~US$500 range..

the Bluesound Node 2i is MQA (cough) capable and it has a passthrough feature to send the bit-perfect (until MQA intervenes) date to the DAC of choice but not sure if it can only be sent via USB or could be sent via other methods.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Hello
I am asking for advice.
What do you recommend the best streamer for tidal and flac files.
It will be connected to the vinatage amplifier. The best sound possible.
I think to buy a khadas board tone. Do You know something better in this same money. Can be in raspberry pi.
Unless you plan to use some of the diy-friendly features the state of the art for dacs at that level has moved on a bit from the Tone Board. Have a look at the D10s, the E30 and perhaps a few others. Most of the 'usual suspect' Pi images at least claim to support Tidal - I've not tried it myself. I'd go for a Pi 4 and the Argon40 case with a USB DAC since I'm happy messing around with the Pi software if necessary (though that's me trying to make it do something it's not built to, not because you have to). If you prefer something manufacturer supported then something like the Bluesound feeding an E30 seems a fair option. Someone will probably mention the Chromecast Audio - again digital out feeding an E30 or similar. I've not used Bluesound or Chromecast - not sure how they do on things like gapless.

somy

the Bluesound Node 2i is MQA (cough) capable and it has a passthrough feature to send the bit-perfect (until MQA intervenes) date to the DAC of choice but not sure if it can only be sent via USB or could be sent via other methods.
Can Node 2i send mqa digitally to downstream DAC which then decide mqa (like smsl m500)?

I'm late to this conversation, but I really like this Andover Songbird streamer for under $150. It has a digital output (not USB) that I run to one of my DACs. I'm not saying it's own internal DAC is bad or anything, I just want to use my own DAC. Or if you have an integrated amp or something with a DAC you like, this would be good too. It has native support for all the usual suspects and has its own WiFi and an ethernet port for hard wiring to a network. A bunch of these devices including Naim use the same basic app if you want to use an app on a phone or tablet. If you don't need a little screen or whatever other features, this is really good.

mash

Can Node 2i send mqa digitally to downstream DAC which then decide mqa (like smsl m500)?

The challenge is that the Node 2i does not have an USB stream out and most MQA DACs only support MQA over USB. Some of the newer ones can support MQA over CoAx but you will want to check. As an example, there was a thread over on the BlueSound board that indicated that the Node2i could pass MQA to a Gustard X16 over the CoAx digital out conneciton.

Paulz

I'm late to this conversation, but I really like this Andover Songbird streamer for under $150. It has a digital output (not USB) that I run to one of my DACs. I'm not saying it's own internal DAC is bad or anything, I just want to use my own DAC. Or if you have an integrated amp or something with a DAC you like, this would be good too. It has native support for all the usual suspects and has its own WiFi and an ethernet port for hard wiring to a network. A bunch of these devices including Naim use the same basic app if you want to use an app on a phone or tablet. If you don't need a little screen or whatever other features, this is really good.

Just FYI to everyone, I recently asked Andover Audio about bypassing the internal DAC with the optical output. FWIW, this was their response:
"The Optical Output still uses the internal DAC, but the signal will be all digital to your external DAC."

Can't say I know how to interpret this, especially one dac outputting to another dac. From what little I know the Songbird's internal dac has pretty low S/N ratio (80db) and channel separation, which are about all the relevant data I've found about it.

I'd love to hear some splaining here!!

Just FYI to everyone, I recently asked Andover Audio about bypassing the internal DAC with the optical output. FWIW, this was their response:
"The Optical Output still uses the internal DAC, but the signal will be all digital to your external DAC."

Can't say I know how to interpret this, especially one dac outputting to another dac. From what little I know the Songbird's internal dac has pretty low S/N ratio (80db) and channel separation, which are about all the relevant data I've found about it.

I'd love to hear some splaining here!!
interesting, would like to know more, I wonder if they mean if a signal is not already 16 bit they will convert it to 16 bit with the internal DAC before outputting digital? the measurements for it include its analog performance so outputting to an external DAC bypasses their analog stage hopefully - if not, would be strange if they convert to analog and then back by an ADC before outputting digital

Paulz

interesting, would like to know more, I wonder if they mean if a signal is not already 16 bit they will convert it to 16 bit with the internal DAC before outputting digital? the measurements for it include its analog performance so outputting to an external DAC bypasses their analog stage hopefully - if not, would be strange if they convert to analog and then back by an ADC before outputting digital
I'd really like to know what they mean too. I really like my Topping D30! Hopefully they could clarify but not sure what ask them. (I studied Poltical Science and Philosophy in grad school so I'm out of my comfort zone!)

Top Bottom