• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best tower speakers with a good center channel for 4-5k maximum?

Ciobi69

Hello everyone ,i have to buy a good pair of towers with an appropriate center channel, i prefer to take the towers first and the center after ,as i am studying what to take without listening i did check on the forum and other forum,my use of the system will be 70/30 about (movie then music) my needs are good soundstage, good dynamic and a balanced speaker , as i read and read, i can only choose the arendal 1723 towers with their center, or maybe maybe the kef r series, but i don't know of the can match the dynamic of the arendal and their center channel is smaller,could you suggest me some options?there are a lot of good speakers for this range but i am pretty confused.. And thanks again for the help!

warthor

Sweetchaos put together a great ranking system, by cost. Your best bet would be the Revel F208 (and matching center), which can be purchased for lower than retail. Or the KEF R7.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If 70% of your listening time is movies, the centre channel should be given priority, at it carries the dialogue.

You can mix and match speakers, but it can be difficult given how much the directivity changes even within the same brand. Keep in mind that EQ aka room correction software aka DSP cannot fix problems with the radiation pattern of a speaker.

You can get recertified KEF R7 + R2C for $4900 total, they still have a 5 year warranty that way.

blestin

KEF R7 + R3 for center channel, Revel F208 + R3 center, Philharmonic BMR Tower + KEF R3 for center is what I would recommend.

Jdunk54nl

KEF R7 + R3 for center channel, Revel F208 + R3 center, Philharmonic BMR Tower + KEF R3 for center is what I would recommend.
Or philharmonic bmr towers + bmr "bookshelf" for center. Should be ~$5000 shipped to you

Last edited:
If 70% of your listening time is movies, the centre channel should be given priority, at it carries the dialogue.

You can mix and match speakers, but it can be difficult given how much the directivity changes even within the same brand. Keep in mind that EQ aka room correction software aka DSP cannot fix problems with the radiation pattern of a speaker.

You can get recertified KEF R7 + R2C for $4900 total, they still have a 5 year warranty that way.
I think you should just get a moderate priced home theater set-up for watching the mediocre entertainment business on tv and get some good towers, two channel amplifier for when you really want to hear music like it should be heard.

alex-z

I think you should just get a moderate priced home theater set-up for watching the mediocre entertainment business on tv and get some good towers, two channel amplifier for when you really want to hear music like it should be heard.

That makes no sense. Good speakers work well for both uses, and modern day AV receivers are capable of excellent audio performance. Good luck even finding a 2 channel amp with a high-pass filter for doing proper subwoofer integration.

Real expensive towers
I was just giving my opinion of having two different systems. One for the tv and other just for music. I was gonna buy a brand new Maxima which i didn’t need, changed my mind and bought a used Krell ksa300s recapped along with krc3 preamp, Marantz SA-10 ordered pair of Magico A5s brand new plus a Stax srm700s electrostatic amp to partner with Audeze crbn headphones to keep me from watching CNN, MSNBC etc which was causing a lot of anger that I just want to drown out.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Read Amir's reviews on center channels. the best solution is three of the same speakers if your setup allows for a tower or bookshelf in the middle. If not get a good coaxial design like the KEF center. Else they are not worth it. The typical Mid-tweeter-mid design is flawed and creates a very narrow center dispersion which means there will only be one seat with your "head in a vice," to get accurate frequency response.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why? So you can feel an occasional earthquake or volcano in one of those crappy disaster movies.
You said that a subwoofer was not required. I simply said you do if you want content below what most good towers can do. Do you really think the only time you get 20hz content is in earthquake or volcano/disaster movies? If so, you are misinformed. Most tower speakers will put out very limited SPL even at 30hz and when they do often times distortion can become an issue. A very high percentage of movies has content down to and even below 20hz. If you want to experience it as it was intended you need to be able to play this content. It is surprising the amount of music that has these low frequencies in as well. What you are saying it sounds is that you don’t care about those lower frequencies (which is fine) but your comment about them only being in earthquake, volcano, or other crappy disaster movies is just rather uninformed.

You said that a subwoofer was not required. I simply said you do if you want content below what most good towers can do. Do you really think the only time you get 20hz content is in earthquake or volcano/disaster movies? If so, you are misinformed. Most tower speakers will put out very limited SPL even at 30hz and when they do often times distortion can become an issue. A very high percentage of movies has content down to and even below 20hz. If you want to experience it as it was intended you need to be able to play this content. It is surprising the amount of music that has these low frequencies in as well. What you are saying it sounds is that you don’t care about those lower frequencies (which is fine) but your comment about them only being in earthquake, volcano, or other crappy disaster movies is just rather uninformed.
You didn’t read i take when I was telling someone else about having good towers for music and separate home theater system for tv. I wasn’t giving advice about his tv setup and i realize that was his question.

OP
C

Ciobi69

Just to clarify i am from Europe, i already have a good subwoofer and i use Dirac i Will look into the passive speakers recommendation guide for USA but i don't have certain brands thanks,i will try to read all the messages too

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
I was just giving my opinion of having two different systems. One for the tv and other just for music. I was gonna buy a brand new Maxima which i didn’t need, changed my mind and bought a used Krell ksa300s recapped along with krc3 preamp, Marantz SA-10 ordered pair of Magico A5s brand new plus a Stax srm700s electrostatic amp to partner with Audeze crbn headphones to keep me from watching CNN, MSNBC etc which was causing a lot of anger that I just want to drown out.
Quit watching 24 hrs news cycle. Not healthy.

Top Bottom