• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best tower speakers with a good center channel for 4-5k maximum?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But in my case if i don't care about that and i am in the center position they should be optimal right?
No partner, children or even friends? :p That's a little bit concerning.

optimal is a big word, as the sound reflected from the side walls will be different in tonality (we're very sensitive to horizontal reflections) but definitely less problematic.

but why buy a compromised design to begin with?

OP
C

Ciobi69

No partner, children or even friends? :p That's a little bit concerning.

optimal is a big word, as the sound reflected from the side walls will be different in tonality (we're very sensitive to horizontal reflections) but definitely less problematic.

but why buy a compromised design to begin with?
Yes i got some friends but they almost don't have soundbars, ahah i don't know if you get it..the reason I prefer the arendal because they have their matching center for example the 1723 series have their huge center with 8 inch woofers,but i have to inform myself better,i like huge soundstage and dynamics, they Are bot point of arendal and kef , but volume wise arendal should perform better,it's a tough choice!

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes i got some friends but they almost don't have soundbars, ahah i don't know if you get it..the reason I prefer the arendal because they have their matching center for example the 1723 series have their huge center with 8 inch woofers,but i have to inform myself better,i like huge soundstage and dynamics, they Are bot point of arendal and kef , but volume wise arendal should perform better,it's a tough choice!
the differences between the two in terms of dynamics will (theoretically) only be noticeable past 100dBSPL if they're crossed with a subwoofer.

That's like not even 1% of the time, more like 0.1% of the time. The off-axis tonality design issue with the Arendals will be there 100% of the time.

OP
C

Ciobi69

the differences between the two in terms of dynamics will (theoretically) only be noticeable past 100dBSPL if they're crossed with a subwoofer.

That's like not even 1% of the time, more like 0.1% of the time. The off-axis tonality design issue with the Arendals will be there 100% of the time.
Good point

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good point
I forgot to mention something, my comments are only valid when the center speaker is placed horizontally, however, if you place it vertically like you would with the L/R like a bookshelf, the Arendals would be the superior choice.

OP
C

Ciobi69

I forgot to mention something, my comments are only valid when the center speaker is placed horizontally, however, if you place it vertically like you would with the L/R like a bookshelf, the Arendals would be the superior choice.
Not my case sadly horizontal 100% i got a tv, i read that either that vertically is good but i can't..

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not my case sadly horizontal 100% i got a tv, i read that either that vertically is good but i can't..

This is a very common constraint, and unfortunately it's also what makes good center speakers so hard to build (or so I'm told). To that end, I would never buy a center for which there aren't independent measurements. I haven't seen any for the Arendal center, have you found any? I know Arendal posts a few, and so far the independent verifications on other units have been within a reasonable margin, but centers are just so hit or miss...

Because of the horizontal constraint, you're looking at a studio monitor, coaxial or $$$ like C426be. $5k is a hearty budget, though, and since you have Dirac you could even do something like 3x LS50 Meta crossed at 120Hz + another sub. I do think Kef is, overall, your best option. Simple, proven, within budget, easy on the eyes.

As an owner of most of the R-series, if I had to do it again I'd just get all used/b-stock R3's and better subs + full Dirac suite. But, a lot of that is because I know it's only a matter of time before I sell to try out something else and it's a lot harder to sell/ship towers. I guess I have commitment issues :)

OP
C

Ciobi69

This is a very common constraint, and unfortunately it's also what makes good center speakers so hard to build (or so I'm told). To that end, I would never buy a center for which there aren't independent measurements. I haven't seen any for the Arendal center, have you found any? I know Arendal posts a few, and so far the independent verifications on other units have been within a reasonable margin, but centers are just so hit or miss...

Because of the horizontal constraint, you're looking at a studio monitor, coaxial or $$$ like C426be. $5k is a hearty budget, though, and since you have Dirac you could even do something like 3x LS50 Meta crossed at 120Hz + another sub. I do think Kef is, overall, your best option. Simple, proven, within budget, easy on the eyes.

As an owner of most of the R-series, if I had to do it again I'd just get all used/b-stock R3's and better subs + full Dirac suite. But, a lot of that is because I know it's only a matter of time before I sell to try out something else and it's a lot harder to sell/ship towers. I guess I have commitment issues :)
I read only online and a friend he had it they are good center as i read,but it's based on people opinion,you know how it works lol, i might like the idea of the R3 paired with subs , i think ls50 metas are awesome but the little driver at high volume might suffer ,the R3 are more suited for my use imho,hehe it's a drug i want to try everything kef as i read here are a warranty their coaxial driver is a work of art in technology and beat a lot of competitors for a lot less,it's a perfectly valid road!

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
For me the R series plus subwoofers its a very good deal
Also because its a coaxial its very easy to EQ to taste, very good image from Kefs
My dream its pair up my kef R7s but cross them at 80hz using minidsp and adding 2 subs, but i need a bigger room for that lol

Hydrav

I see a lot of people are recommending the KEF R7s, but I don't think anybody has even measured them yet. The R5s were about on par with the R3s, so you'd think the R7s would be better. But without measurements, how do you even know if they're worth the price increase...

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Just to clarify i am from Europe, i already have a good subwoofer and i use Dirac i Will look into the passive speakers recommendation guide for USA but i don't have certain brands thanks,i will try to read all the messages too
Focal aria 948.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I see a lot of people are recommending the KEF R7s, but I don't think anybody has even measured them yet. The R5s were about on par with the R3s, so you'd think the R7s would be better. But without measurements, how do you even know if they're worth the price increase...
The R7 use the same uniq+shadow flare as R3, the R5 is the only speaker with the smaller shadow flare.
Basically the R7 its the R3 but with more bass and extention
Port tunning from R3 its tunning to 40hz
The R7 have 2 ports, at 40hz and 31hz.
Also a bit less distortion between 20hz-200hz.

images

Last edited:
OP
C

Ciobi69

The R7 use the same uniq+shadow flare as R3, the R5 is the only speaker with the smaller shadow flare.
Basically the R7 its the R3 but with more bass and extention
Port tunning from R3 its tunning to 40hz
The R7 have 2 ports, at 40hz and 31hz.
Also a bit less distortion between 20hz-200hz.

images

good to know i didnt know that the r5 had the smaller shadow flare thanks
!!

OP
C

Ciobi69

i have found a pair of r11 at 3k euros what do you think?

OP
C

Ciobi69

It`s tuned a little on the dark/warm side, if you don't mind that it should be great. You can also EQ it flat ofcourse.

Spin%2B-%2BKEF%2BR11%2B%25282018%2529.png
yes i dont mind really, i hope to get a better discount

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
It`s tuned a little on the dark/warm side, if you don't mind that it should be great. You can also EQ it flat ofcourse.

Spin%2B-%2BKEF%2BR11%2B%25282018%2529.png
Yep, my R7s for me is not anywhere near dark, but is more in the warm/smooth side rather than the bright/cold sound.

But yeah, because it's a coaxial you can EQ them to flat easily with a mic.

OP
C

Ciobi69

Yep, my R7s for me is not anywhere near dark, but is more in the warm/smooth side rather than the bright/cold sound.

But yeah, because it's a coaxial you can EQ them to flat easily with a mic.
sounds good!, how do you like yours? how they perform in dynamics and soundstage?

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
sounds good!, how do you like yours? how they perform in dynamics and soundstage?
The soundstage it's not the typical big and diffuse, it's more realistic in the way that the height, wide and depth give the sensation of being equal.
It's kind of a bit narrow too, it's not super wide.

I liked a lot more the dynamics from the R series towers instead vs R3/R300.., also the soundstage seems to be a bit bigger

But if you wanna a lot of dynamics you can always add 2x subs, subs are going to reproduce deeper bass than these mid size floorstanding.

In my small room the In-room EQ + KEF R7s are fine, but in a normal place i'll add 2 subs and cross them at 60-80hz.

Top Bottom