• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best small subwoofers with near-20Hz performance?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
No it's the XLS200. It doesn't perform as I expected from website and I guess I'll have to sell it. They say it does 17Hz at -6 and I haven't gotten anything of the sort. I get almost nothing useful below 28Hz, lesson learned. I should say that that's measured at seating position, not trying to say BK is scammy or anything, just that I assumed too much. I haven't measured it near-field but I can say the KRK 10S performed MUCH better at listening position.
They state that for in room performance. If you want 20 hz and compact you are looking at a 12" sealed subwoofer.

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The XLS200 will go low if 1) the room is small enough or 2) with the crossover set to the lowest point

wou1.png

LearningToSmile

Thanks for the tip, I hadn't heard of those. Do you know how to see the prices?
I have also never heard of them, though googling around there seems to be a lot of their older models on the second hand market.

Anyway, the one place I found with their current offerings in stock online is audio affair. Subwoofers seem to start at £549.00, but they command a hefty premium for the white/black gloss finishes(from £200 up to as high as £400).

Also browsing that website Anthony Gallo TR-3D caught my eye, though I'm not sure it would fit your criteria - it's small and it's certainly not a box, but I doubt it would fit your scandinavian decor. It does however interest me - does anyone here know something about the brand at least, if not that model specifically?

Dogan

However, I also live in a small flat with a modern scandinavian decor that really doesn’t accommodate huge black boxes.

I'm using a B&W PV1D in a large room and SPL has never been an issue since my daughter doesn't let me to play loud music. It sure isn't a box. However, it might be a bit expensive like most scandinavian furnitures :)

pv1d.jpg

I also love the invisible cables that come with it.

Willem

Major Contributor
I use one as well to supplement my Quad 2805 speakers and I am very happy, because of the contemporary looks but also because of the sound quality and the precise settings that are possible. I use it with a DSpeaker Antimode 8033 and that improved the sound quite a bit. My only regret is the price. For the same money I could have bought three SVS SB1000s. I have now discovered that multiple subs are better, but multiplying these B&Ws is expensive.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Devialet needs to make a subwoofer.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@radio3
How about REL ?
Personally, I wasn't so fond of those, but they are fairly small and made in UK if my memory is correct.

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Devialet needs to make a subwoofer
More subwoofer than Phantom gold/premier?
All the 6 planes of box will be equipped with flat square diffusers and in case of malfunction it will blow whole apartment like gas explosion, I think.
Devialet Phantom gold, as far as I remember, sounded like subwoofer, accidentally augmented with Kef LS50 ...

HooStat

All the 6 planes of box will be equipped with flat square diffusers and in case of malfunction it will blow whole apartment like gas explosion, I think.
Devialet Phantom gold, as far as I remember, sounded like subwoofer, accidentally augmented with Kef LS50 ...
I wonder if you could use 1 or 2 of them just as subwoofers with a cross-over limiting to a certain frequency range. It would be an interesting experiment, and they would be very easy to place.

win

@radio3
How about REL ?
Personally, I wasn't so fond of those, but they are fairly small and made in UK if my memory is correct.

I was just looking at RELs lineup yesterday. For the price, they don't really seem to have the same specs as SVS subs. In addition, they have really gaudy branding all over them. Lastly, they pitch audiophool nonsense like speaker level inputs being better. Seems like (tacky) form over function.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I'm using a B&W PV1D in a large room and SPL has never been an issue since my daughter doesn't let me to play loud music. It sure isn't a box. However, it might be a bit expensive like most scandinavian furnitures :)

View attachment 79854

I also love the invisible cables that come with it.
I have seen some measurements of one of these subwoofers years ago. They were pretty dreadful compared to SVS and the likes. Very high distortion and low SPL. Small 10" woofers just can't do 20hz comfortably.

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
I think the REL subs are some of the best looking in the market other than B&W (if a sub can ever look good), but like the B&W subs they are expensive for what they do.

Last edited:

FeddyLost

would be an interesting experiment, and they would be very easy to place
Not cheap experiment.
I think even PV1D is better as bang for buck.
Don't even mention any other sub vendor.

OP
R

radio3

I don’t know, after getting a little burned with the admittedly mis-chosen BK, I want to be sure that what I get really solidly does around 20-23 Hz. There are a million subs out there that do 30 Hz but that bottom half octave makes all the difference in the world in terms of presence and impact. I guess I'm starting to lean toward SVS 2000 Pros. They're larger than I want but at least I know they've really got the extension. Sure wish someone made a small sub with deep extension instead of SPLs. Everything seems to produce way more SPL than I need at 40 Hz and then distort like hell as soon as you go below 30.

Last edited:
OP
R

radio3

@radio3, what is your budget and max dimensions for each sub?

Budget is the least amount possible to do 22 Hz at reference levels in Medium Large room. I could spend 2 or 3 Gs but would prefer to avoid the upper end of that if at all possible. I guess my upper limit on size is that of SVS 2000 Pro, or about 14.5 inch cube. The ideal would be 13 inch cubes. 3 Subwoofers subtly distributed around room.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Yes. Something with 8-10" drivers. They could probably get that down to 10hz.

FeddyLost

at reference levels in Medium Large room
That's interesting.
How much exactly?
Audioholics consider this as 115 db SPL peak in 3000 cu.ft. room.
It's a lot. Even for 3 pcs of small subs.
Maybe JL Audio E110 will be capable of this.

Top Bottom