• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best raspberry pi dac

threni

Major Contributor
IMO a RPI 4 is overkill for streaming and a DAC. I'm using a RPI 1 B+ 700 mHz. The average CPU usage is about 30% during streaming. Only during switching radio stations the CPU usage tops to 90%. Temperature is 36-37 Celsius. Note that I'm using raspotify (Spotify Connect) and the Android app Raspicast. Raspicast is using the omxplayer library on Raspbian. All lightweight.

Pi 1? Luxury! I'm using a Pi Zero W on one system, averaging about 33%, 60 megs of ram, 40 odd degrees. mpd controlled by m.a.l.p.

michman66

I did search on this subject and did not find exactly what I need. I downloaded Volumio and used it. I started reading more yesterday and see many use Moode Audio and the consensus is it does sound better. I am not a Roon subscriber. There is also PiCore Player, DietPi, Max2 play. So far I am having much trouble working through setting up either Moode, PiCore, or Max2Play. Before I keep trouble shooting and spending more hours on this, ( I am good on a PC, but this area of stuff is always kinda ' Twisty" for me).

I'd like to get something that is easy and sounds good. Part 2. Is it possible to have more than 1 program on the micro SD card? Any time I try to add another program, Windows says I must format the card yada yada, Well we know if I do, it will erase what is on it. Would I have to have separate cards for each piece of software?

I know these are newbie questions, any direction would be very appreciated. My goal is to replace the laptop ( USB ) and use the Raspberry 3+ with the Allo signature 1.

Thank you,
Otto

0bs3rv3r

I'd like to get something that is easy and sounds good. Part 2. Is it possible to have more than 1 program on the micro SD card? Any time I try to add another program, Windows says I must format the card yada yada, Well we know if I do, it will erase what is on it. Would I have to have separate cards for each piece of software?

OK, it's a concept thing. The micro SD card is the equivalent of your PCs hard disk drive. You aren't adding programs to it, you are adding complete operating systems with pre-installed sets of programs. Adding multiple operating systems is possible but harder, and you can't run them at the same time anyway.

Maybe just let us help you get something like moOde working. It really isn't that complicated once you settle in to it.

rkbates

Forum Donor
I did search on this subject and did not find exactly what I need. I downloaded Volumio and used it. I started reading more yesterday and see many use Moode Audio and the consensus is it does sound better. I am not a Roon subscriber. There is also PiCore Player, DietPi, Max2 play. So far I am having much trouble working through setting up either Moode, PiCore, or Max2Play. Before I keep trouble shooting and spending more hours on this, ( I am good on a PC, but this area of stuff is always kinda ' Twisty" for me).

I know these are newbie questions, any direction would be very appreciated. My goal is to replace the laptop ( USB ) and use the Raspberry 3+ with the Allo signature 1.

Thank you,
Otto
I use Moode Audio on one system and Volumio on another. You can never have too many Pi's. I can assure you both sound the same - they both use mpd as the underlying player as far as I can see, just a matter of the functions and interface that suit you best. Both have their quirks, but so far have been stable and hassle free

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Thank you,
Otto

I recommend buying a bunch of microsd cards and loading each new system on it's own card and then you can just swap them out without losing settings in minutes. Here is a 10 pack of 8gb microSD cards for $37.28 on Amazon.
https://smile.amazon.com/10-PACK-Sa...5&sprefix=micro+sd+card+multip,aps,237&sr=8-5

michman66

I use Moode Audio on one system and Volumio on another. You can never have too many Pi's. I can assure you both sound the same - they both use mpd as the underlying player as far as I can see, just a matter of the functions and interface that suit you best. Both have their quirks, but so far have been stable and hassle free

I see. I did get Volumio to work first time. I was using either a browser on my desktop or headless on my android phone. When I read some posts elsewhere saying Moode sounding better, I went seeking the prize. You feel they sound the same. I'm not sure until I research further does Moode have more plug in's free options than free Volumio?

I know there is a premium Volumio version that can be bought. Maybe I should stop fussing on players and just use what is working now. Lol. Still you know the hobby; keep messing with it.

michman66

OK, it's a concept thing. The micro SD card is the equivalent of your PCs hard disk drive. You aren't adding programs to it, you are adding complete operating systems with pre-installed sets of programs. Adding multiple operating systems is possible but harder, and you can't run them at the same time anyway.

Maybe just let us help you get something like moOde working. It really isn't that complicated once you settle in to it.

Thank you for clearing the sd card function. I just got delivered a 64Gb Samsung Evo micro SD card. I guess 32 is more than enough? So if I do want different players they will each need their own card.

I did get Volumio to work. I guess I got messed up when I read elsewhere that they felt Moode sounds better.

First thing I could not do is 'see' the moode desktop. With volumio the ip address worked the first time.

Another question, which format should be used with these cards? There are 2 or 3 choices ExFat and the others. Without researching this yet, I guess I need to know which one to use with these players.

Another question, I'm connecting my Pi 3+ and Allo Signature One with ethernet cable. I use Jriver with my SSD connected to my laptop etc. When I connected the SSD to the Pi using Volumio I saw Jriver software also in there. Not sure how that is happening, since Jriver and Volumio are both software players.

rkbates

Forum Donor
I see. I did get Volumio to work first time. I was using either a browser on my desktop or headless on my android phone. When I read some posts elsewhere saying Moode sounding better, I went seeking the prize. You feel they sound the same. I'm not sure until I research further does Moode have more plug in's free options than free Volumio?

I know there is a premium Volumio version that can be bought. Maybe I should stop fussing on players and just use what is working now. Lol. Still you know the hobby; keep messing with it.
Playing with Pi's is part of the fun - just keep an image or spare card with your working system on it and evaluate as many other systems as you like. SD cards have a habit of dying so I always back them up - "USB Image Tool" works well. Not sure about plug ins - all I use is Spotify for streaming and a Plex server for storage and both Moode and Volumio accommodate them ok

rkbates

Forum Donor
Thank you for clearing the sd card function. I just got delivered a 64Gb Samsung Evo micro SD card. I guess 32 is more than enough? So if I do want different players they will each need their own card.

I did get Volumio to work. I guess I got messed up when I read elsewhere that they felt Moode sounds better.

First thing I could not do is 'see' the moode desktop. With volumio the ip address worked the first time.

Another question, which format should be used with these cards? There are 2 or 3 choices ExFat and the others. Without researching this yet, I guess I need to know which one to use with these players.

Another question, I'm connecting my Pi 3+ and Allo Signature One with ethernet cable. I use Jriver with my SSD connected to my laptop etc. When I connected the SSD to the Pi using Volumio I saw Jriver software also in there. Not sure how that is happening, since Jriver and Volumio are both software players.
Each player will need it's own card - don't worry about formatting it since when you load a Moode or Volumio image on to it everything is replaced by the image. 32 GB is heaps, unless you are storing your music files on it. http://moode/index.php should get you to the Moode player (unless you have changed it's name). Not sure about JRiver - maybe it is appearing to Volumio as a UPnP server or something ie you are not seeing the software, just the music that JRiver sees

michman66

I'm using the Allo USBridge Signature Raspberry Pi with a Topping D50s DAC, this is about 500$ together. Not a super cheap solution but I believe that it comes close or even outperforms much more expensive all in one Steamers.

Even though your post is over a year, I just read it, and I also have a D50s and I bought an Allo Digi signature. I'm struggling with software decisions. I was successful with Volumio, now I'd like to try other players. I'm not having any luck with PiCorePlayer, or Moode Audio, Max2Play. Frustrating.

cryptout

Even though your post is over a year, I just read it, and I also have a D50s and I bought an Allo Digi signature. I'm struggling with software decisions. I was successful with Volumio, now I'd like to try other players. I'm not having any luck with PiCorePlayer, or Moode Audio, Max2Play. Frustrating.
I still use moode. They have a very helpful forum if you have any issues.

cryptout

Just as a note, now in 2021 I don't think the Allo DS brings much to the table. A Pi4 with a nice case will perform just as good for less money. The Topping D50s can handle any usb "interference' and really does not need a special usb port to perform.

cryptout

Are you in the camp that feels Moode sounds better? Is there a plugin for Amazon HD and Spotify? Thx
The sound quality is subjective. I tried Volumio first but could not get it to play for longer than one hour without the occasional click or pop. I cannot live with that. Moved to moode and I can now play for hours without a single dropout, click or pop.
Also I like the community:
http://moodeaudio.org/forum

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Moode has been the most stable and performant for me with the right feature set I've tried Runeaudio and rasplex previously. Rasplex is nice if you also want a great UI on your TV and want to play movies and such. It's more of a full multimedia player than just an audio player.

EastConcept

Even though your post is over a year, I just read it, and I also have a D50s and I bought an Allo Digi signature.

Hi. Just wondering how you have found the Allo Digione Signature compared to using USB for you D50s?

I have a RP3b with an Arcam irDAC-ii. Currently using the USB input but wondering if I could improve things further with an Allo Digione.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi. Just wondering how you have found the Allo Digione Signature compared to using USB for you D50s?

I have a RP3b with an Arcam irDAC-ii. Currently using the USB input but wondering if I could improve things further with an Allo Digione.
If USB functions for you without stuttering or clicks/pops then there is no benefit to a HAT like the digione. The USB issue is a functional one, it works or it doesn't. It doesn't affect sound quality with a properly built DAC.

EastConcept

If USB functions for you without stuttering or clicks/pops then there is no benefit to a HAT like the digione. The USB issue is a functional one, it works or it doesn't. It doesn't affect sound quality with a properly built DAC.

Thanks. I've read of issues regarding the RPi3b USB input but after reading more about it on here the problems appear to be due to software issues rather than the common theory of the usb port being shared with the ethernet connection. I've never had any stuttering/popping/clicking running my Arcam DAC through it with piCorePlayer. I've been concerned the USB input on the RPi3b may be dirty somehow so I was wondering if an Allo Digione might be a good idea but it appears not.

Top Bottom