• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best raspberry pi dac

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Has anyone here had a go with the new Audiophonics Evo Sabre DAC/streamer, fitted with an RPi4? Looks like a great bit of kit on paper, but I am yet to hear serious feedback from owners:

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/netw...nced-streamer-for-raspberry-pi-4-p-14639.html

Thanks,
Rich
Still can't help on this one I'm afraid. I keep an eye out for all things RPi related and no feedback as yet. I can't see any inherent problems in the kit. An Rpi4 is an RPi4 and the DAC has been tested and works well. It all comes down to what you're after (looks-wise in particular). It does look good and Audiophonics have a good reputation (I bought my Topping D50s from them and no complaints here).

It looks like it might be down to you. To paraphrase the Prince of Denmark: "To buy or not to buy, that is the question". Keep us posted!

Richdw

Still can't help on this one I'm afraid. I keep an eye out for all things RPi related and no feedback as yet. I can't see any inherent problems in the kit. An Rpi4 is an RPi4 and the DAC has been tested and works well. It all comes down to what you're after (looks-wise in particular). It does look good and Audiophonics have a good reputation (I bought my Topping D50s from them and no complaints here).

It looks like it might be down to you. To paraphrase the Prince of Denmark: "To buy or not to buy, that is the question". Keep us posted!

Haha, what are the chances.... it's literally just been tested:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nics-evo-sabre-balanced-rpi-dac-review.15982/

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

vrobec

Had a few and the best i2s Rpi DAC for me is the Allo Piano 2.1 with Kali reclocker on Rpi3. This combo I still have in my setup.
For Rpi4 I'm using Topping E30. Wonderful, quality and cheap DAC.

mike963

I am using a DAC2 Pro and it works really welll with moode audio and drives my sennheiser hd600 with ease - sounds really great using Rp4 and no amp
Two minor comments/issues
The standard set up for moode was set as software volume control but there was a constant low level buzz that was not effected by changing the volume setting

The buzz disappeared after switching to hardware volume but the overall responsiveness to changes from the software I use as control point (bubble Upnp) has lessened but not to a point where it is not possible to use - just slow to react

Secondly when I change over headphones - I have to force a reboot otherwise nothing plays

Might try volumio as alternative and will do a fuller comparison with my other dac at some point

Previously using LG v40 phone as that has an excellent built in dac but was slightly underpowered for the hd600

Mike

Parrymike

Given that the Hidizs s8 (Sonata hd pro) measures so well and costs so little, is there any reason not to choose it over a more expensive desktop DAC assuming I'm only interested in using the pi as the single source? I'm not interested in having a display or any other features. Would being limited to software volume control be an issue?

Silver1omo

Given that the Hidizs s8 (Sonata hd pro) measures so well and costs so little, is there any reason not to choose it over a more expensive desktop DAC assuming I'm only interested in using the pi as the single source? I'm not interested in having a display or any other features. Would being limited to software volume control be an issue?
Main limit would be power.
That said, I'm using a s8 in my desk. It works well.

seth_kong

I would like to share my experience with UNDERclocked Raspberry Pi 4 model B (RPi4B).

My setup is Audirvana (MacBook Pro 15", mid 2015) => wifi-stream (UPnP) => RPi4B (with Geekworm Raspberry Pi 4 Case) => HiFiBerry DAC+ DSP => Optical cable (Audioquest Forest) => Fostex HP-A4BL.

First, I had a problem that moOde 7.0.0 did not respond after using it for about 2 hours, and I also heard hiss noise between tracks. I thought it was because moOde 7.0.0 was just recently released at the time of writing. It might not stable. Then, I switched to HifiberryOS as Hifiberry recommended, but the problem still existed. At the time, I was playing with overclocking another RPi4B, so I thought about underclocking this RPi4B. I followed Archimago's MUSINGS: Raspberry Pi 3 B+ CRAAP Settings and raspberrypi.org's Overclocking options in config.txt

Here is my tweek in config.txt on moOde 7.0.0.
over_voltage=-4
arm_freq=1000
gpu_freq=250
max_usb_current=0

My system now runs smoothly overnight without any crashes/hangs. The CPU temperature is 44 - 47°C (watch -n 1 vcgencmd measure_clock arm). I still hear hiss noise between tracks but at a lower level. You may follow my tweek. If your system crashes/hangs, you can increase each parameter a little. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Reactions: m8o

threni

Major Contributor
I would like to share my experience with UNDERclocked Raspberry Pi 4 model B (RPi4B).

My setup is Audirvana (MacBook Pro 15", mid 2015) => wifi-stream (UPnP) => RPi4B (with Geekworm Raspberry Pi 4 Case) => HiFiBerry DAC+ DSP => Optical cable (Audioquest Forest) => Fostex HP-A4BL.

First, I had a problem that moOde 7.0.0 did not respond after using it for about 2 hours, and I also heard hiss noise between tracks. I thought it was because moOde 7.0.0 was just recently released at the time of writing. It might not stable. Then, I switched to HifiberryOS as Hifiberry recommended, but the problem still existed. At the time, I was playing with overclocking another RPi4B, so I thought about underclocking this RPi4B. I followed Archimago's MUSINGS: Raspberry Pi 3 B+ CRAAP Settings and raspberrypi.org's Overclocking options in config.txt

Here is my tweek in config.txt on moOde 7.0.0.
over_voltage=-4
arm_freq=1000
gpu_freq=250
max_usb_current=0

My system now runs smoothly overnight without any crashes/hangs. The CPU temperature is 44 - 47°C (watch -n 1 vcgencmd measure_clock arm). I still hear hiss noise between tracks but at a lower level. You may follow my tweek. If your system crashes/hangs, you can increase each parameter a little. Enjoy!

I tried underclocking my pi 4 but could never tell any difference in cpu speed or temperature - similar temperature to you although I have a small fan nearby cooling the pi and amp. I'm using a Topping E30 as the DAC (USB straight out of the pi) with no hiss, so you're probably getting that from the DAC (personally I'd not put up with any hiss, especially when perfect DACs cost peanuts these days). I can't imagine either the temperature of the voltage having any audible effect on hiss.

Last edited:

jeanmi

Mike693 has written :
"The standard set up for moode was set as software volume control but there was a constant low level buzz that was not effected by changing the volume setting

The buzz disappeared after switching to hardware volume but the overall responsiveness to changes from the software I use as control point (bubble Upnp) has lessened but not to a point where it is not possible to use - just slow to react."

The listened buzz can be related to the problem of low filtering of the AC power, that can be solved by adding a ferrite around the ac cable.

I am using a raspberry 3B+ with wifi DAC II pro and volumio as software volume and library control.
If it helps...

seth_kong

Thank you for your advice. Really appreciate!

I found that actually the moOde (even updated to 7.0.1) and HifiberryOS (20201213-pi4) were the problems. They cannot handle hi bit rate files (I test with Daft Punk - Random Access Memories - 24 bit, 88.2 kHz). After switching to RoPiee XL (20201212-ropieeexl-ose_rpi234-stable) and Volumio (2.861-2020-12-22-pi), I do not observe any crashes/hangs. I guess that it is because of the DSP control implemented in moOde and HifiberryOS. However, the buzz/hiss is still audible but very tiny, not irritating.

I don't think my AC system is the problem. I use Pangea AC power cable + Weiduga power filter + 4 x iFi iPurifier AC to feed my system. My AC should be clean enough, and I have never heard any buzz/hiss from my tube amp (Dark Voice) and THX789 (I would not count this one).

I think the CPU speed and temperature before and after underclocking are similar because the workload from audio software is so not intensive. Previously, I thought it was because of the dirty DC from the official RPi4 adapter, so I tried to lower the speed and voltage to CPU. I am buying iFi iPower X 5V to try. I will update the result again.

snip3r77

I see several positive comments for Allo Boss, I think it is a good option. In addition he would recommend a hat with the Saber chip like the ones made by Audiophonics.
I am currently using a Calyx DAC 24/192 with Saber 9018 chip with a great sound result, the 9038 chip seems to have more details but this will depend on the rest of the system you are using.

Hi, does the RPI recognizes the calyx? Thanks

hastings

IMO a RPI 4 is overkill for streaming and a DAC. I'm using a RPI 1 B+ 700 mHz. The average CPU usage is about 30% during streaming. Only during switching radio stations the CPU usage tops to 90%. Temperature is 36-37 Celsius. Note that I'm using raspotify (Spotify Connect) and the Android app Raspicast. Raspicast is using the omxplayer library on Raspbian. All lightweight.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Please be aware that the iFi iPower X 5V delivers 2.5A and that the RPI 4 requires 3A. Not enough power can result in distortion.
The recommended power supply current it 3A, but that's allowing for current to supply other devices. In many cases a 2.5A supply is more than enough.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/power/README.md
IMO a RPI 4 is overkill for streaming and a DAC. I'm using a RPI 1 B+ 700 mHz. The average CPU usage is about 30% during streaming. Only during switching radio stations the CPU usage tops to 90%. Temperature is 36-37 Celsius. Note that I'm using raspotify (Spotify Connect) and the Android app Raspicast. Raspicast is using the omxplayer library on Raspbian. All lightweight.
It is overkill, but the cost saving for the lower models (except the Zero which has other limitations) aren't that great, and the 4 sidesteps the potential pop/click issue with USB audio and certain software combinations on the lower models. If you know the lower models won't be a problem in your use case then you can save a little money and power, but for most people the 4 is the safest and most versatile choice.

Top Bottom