• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Using Tidal Connect on a raspberry pi without Volumio

Geertidow

Dear fellow forum members,

I'd like to use Tidal Connect on my raspberry pi's. However, I strongly dislike repeated payments. Therefore, I don't want to wish Volumio.
A lifetime fee would be no issue, but that is not possible at the moment.

Anyone know of a free or one-time payment way to get Tidal Connect on a RP4?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Last edited:
Reactions: MCH
OP
G

Geertidow

I thoughr it did not support tidal connect, only tidal through lms. Key is using the native function.

Edit: I had picoreplayer and never discovered tidal connect on it. Furthermore spotify connect stopped working properly recently.

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Apart from Volumio the only way I've seen to use Tidal Connect on a Pi is using a binary someone ripped from another player's firmware image, not something I'd recommend. LMS through mysqueezebox.com uses the old Tidal connection style, not Tidal Connect.

mice

kadajawi

Working flawless is... not something I'd say. Initially it worked well with Moode, but newer versions broke it. Especially with the DAC hat I use. In the end I needed to get help by a linux wizard to get it to run properly, and it's still not entirely flawless. Also, Tidal can (and does) at any point break compatibility with newer versions of the Tidal app. In that case you'll need to acquire and replace a certain file on the Pi.

I believe Tidal charges for the priviledge of offering Tidal Connect, thus there won't be a free option.

To be honest... get a Wiim mini. It's pretty affordable and just works. A Pi with a decent DAC hat and case etc. will cost a similar amount and give you a ton of grey hair.

OP
G

Geertidow

Working flawless is... not something I'd say. Initially it worked well with Moode, but newer versions broke it. Especially with the DAC hat I use. In the end I needed to get help by a linux wizard to get it to run properly, and it's still not entirely flawless. Also, Tidal can (and does) at any point break compatibility with newer versions of the Tidal app. In that case you'll need to acquire and replace a certain file on the Pi.

I believe Tidal charges for the priviledge of offering Tidal Connect, thus there won't be a free option.

To be honest... get a Wiim mini. It's pretty affordable and just works. A Pi with a decent DAC hat and case etc. will cost a similar amount and give you a ton of grey hair.
In the NL there are lots of 2nd hand Bluesound Node's. I bought one and will scrub off the sticky layer (white version). Approximately the same price as a Wiim mini.
As much as I'd love to keep Moode, Tidal connect is important to mee. From what I read, flawless is not the right word for HifiBerry and Tidal Connect.
I listen to a lot of music so I really like it when it just works.

EDIT: and I'm just not the kind of guy for a paid subscription.

mice

Working flawless is... not something I'd say.
Hmm... maybe you're having trouble installing and configuring it correctly? Because I can confirm once again - here and now it works for me without any problems! (RPi 3 and Digi+ Pro with System Software 20230404)

WiiM idea seems good. But are you sure it's not "messing" with your network in a way you wouldn't want? It's so damn cheap...
And when it comes to Pi and HiFi BerryOS - I know what I have!

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
WiiM idea seems good. But are you sure it's not "messing" with your network in a way you wouldn't want? It's so damn cheap...
But you don't know what's in the binaries taken from iFi's firmware.

OP
G

Geertidow

Hmm... maybe you're having trouble installing and configuring it correctly? Because I can confirm once again - here and now it works for me without any problems! (RPi 3 and Digi+ Pro with System Software 20230404)

Can you use HifiBerry with a NAS (SMB)?

mice

Attachments

• NAS.jpg
    NAS.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 133

Nutul

You guys are using the 64bit onto the 64bit OS, right? Or the other way around, still good.
Just do not mix the two...

OP
G

Geertidow

Ah, HifiBerry without a HAT is not working, do this solution is not working for me.
I reaaaaally liked picoreplayer until it started messing up spotify (play pause problems).

OP
G

Geertidow

I have starter a trial of Roon and I have to admit. It's kind of perfect so far.
The value proposition is maybe better then I thought.

Top Bottom