• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best No oversampling dac to buy??

KehaDNb

I currently use a starting point systems dac 3 , you can look it up online, but I want to know a better option that runs also balanced …

Thanks in advance

ThatGuyYouKnow

I've come to learn that no NOS is the best NOS, unless you're going all fast and furious with your car.

If it's a must, the Schiit Bifrost 2 is a competent option.

OP
K

KehaDNb

I've come to learn that no NOS is the best NOS, unless you're going all fast and furious with your car.

If it's a must, the Schiit Bifrost 2 is a competent option.
No I prefer nos that’s why I asked

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
No I prefer nos that’s why I asked
What is it you prefer about non-oversampling DACs? These days they seem to be pretty rare.

staticV3

Master Contributor
the best NOS DAC currently on the market is the Holo Audio May afaik:
MayDashboard.jpeg

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
OP
K

KehaDNb

To expensive, up to 1000 Euro im in , other wise I’m out

RandomEar

the best NOS DAC currently on the market is the Holo Audio May afaik:
View attachment 279446
While I agree that this is most likely the best NOS option, it still sucks in NOS-mode (by design):
index.php

That's around 3 dB down by 15 kHz, 5 dB by 20 kHz [source / review].

@KehaDNb If you really like NOS DACs, I suspect that this is the reason. Get any other competent oversampling DAC, dial in that frequency response by reducing treble by ~3 dB at 15 kHz and then compare it to your current setup. Preferably volume-matched and blind. Tell us about your results.

OP
K

KehaDNb

While I agree that this is most likely the best NOS option, it still sucks in NOS-mode (by design):
index.php

That's around 3 dB down by 15 kHz, 5 dB by 20 kHz [source / review].

@KehaDNb If you really like NOS DACs, I suspect that this is the reason. Get any other competent oversampling DAC, dial in that frequency response by reducing treble by ~3 dB at 15 kHz and then compare it to your current setup. Preferably volume-matched and blind. Tell us about your results.
What do u you want??

OP
K

KehaDNb

Trying to help you find a suitable DAC and pointing out general problems with NOS designs you should be aware of to help you make an informed decision.
Yea but I prefer nos , period

gvl

Major Contributor
Yea but I prefer nos , period

This is not a good forum to get recommendations on a NOS DAC. But Holo Audio or Sonnet is probably what you want to be looking at if you have disposable income.

OP
K

KehaDNb

This is not a good forum to get recommendations on a NOS DAC. But Holo Audio or Sonnet is probably what you want to be looking at if you have disposable income.
No too much money hmmm the people are weird in here

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Get any other competent oversampling DAC, dial in that frequency response by reducing treble by ~3 dB at 15 kHz and then compare it to your current setup. Preferably volume-matched and blind. Tell us about your results.
Not entirely, the roll-off is sample time dependent. so one moment the amplitude of say 15kHz would have no roll-off and a ms later it could be down -5dB where it would always have been 0dB in a properly filtered DAC.
But... on average (what one sees in FR sweeps) there is a roll-off.
That effect only happens with 44.1 and 48kHz though (in the audible band).
There is no roll-off at 88.2 and 96kHz and higher.
Just a bunch of ultrasonic garbage that is not removed. You can't hear that but some amps and transducers could have issues with that.

In any case... there are many people liking it. Not everyone wants perfect as possible signal fidelity. Some prefer worse signal fidelity.

Whether or not there is a 'best' NOS DAC I have no idea.

Also DS DACs that have a NOS filter feature is just an 'approximation' of a sample-hold signal but a relatively accurate one that may well be better than an actual R2R DAC.

OP
K

KehaDNb

Not entirely, the roll-off is sample time dependent. so one moment the amplitude of say 15kHz would have no roll-off and a ms later it could be down -5dB where it would always have been 0dB in a properly filtered DAC.
But... on average (what one sees in FR sweeps) there is a roll-off.
That effect only happens with 44.1 and 48kHz though (in the audible band).
There is no roll-off at 88.2 and 96kHz and higher.
Just a bunch of ultrasonic garbage that is not removed. You can't hear that but some amps and transducers could have issues with that.

In any case... there are many people liking it. Not everyone wants perfect as possible signal fidelity. Some prefer worse signal fidelity.

Whether or not there is a 'best' NOS DAC I have no idea.

Also DS DACs that have a NOS filter feature is just an 'approximation' of a sample-hold signal but a relatively accurate one that may well be better than an actual R2R DAC.
Ok recommendation on that???

Top Bottom