• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New DAC help please

HAPPY1

Hi Team,

First post so please be kind ;-)

I am looking to update my current dac and have no clue on where to start.

i am currently running:

- apple mac mini as a media server
- into an old beresford dac
- to Naim 5i
- to some classic kef speakers

I really want to change up the dac for something better.

any suggestions please?

thanks so much

OP
H

HAPPY1

ps i dont have a lot of cash to throw at this so probably go some something entry or mid range

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amazon has the SMSL DL200 for $170 and I use one daily and love it. It's a 5 volt DAC and the built in amplifier can handle a lot also. Runs cool and wide for stacking. The Topping E50 is another I use and has RCA and balanced out, but the DL200 is the value for money winner.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At the above link you can filter by device, price and recommended. Depending on the features you should be able to find one for less than $200

OP
H

HAPPY1

silly question but i assume using the dac with the naim amp means that the dac amp isnt necessary?

edit - checked that the 5i is integrated amp so i guess i dont need a pre amp dac?

Last edited:
OP
H

HAPPY1

What do you want the new dac to do that your old dac can't?
its been years since i looked at my setup so i guess i want to make sure im getting the best sound possible.

i wont be using the dac for headphones just for converting digital files on the mac mini.

i dont recall dacs coming with bluetooth capablity when i looked 10 years ago but that might be useful

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I doubt a new dac will bring any audible difference if you're not having issues now....but additional features are nice but also easy to add a bt receiver.....

OP
H

HAPPY1

the beresford is slowly dying hence the replacement. i wouldnt just replace like for like with another one as it appears that there are better options out there accoustically

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
the beresford is slowly dying hence the replacement. i wouldnt just replace like for like with another one as it appears that there are better options out there accoustically
How is it dying, it works intermittently or cuts in/out or something? Acoustically as in audibly? Or?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Any of the budget DACs that are recommended in Amir's reviews (everything in the blue and green section of the chart) will give you the best sound you can ask for.

So choose between them based on :

Price
Features
After sales support
Percieved brand quality
Etc.

OP
H

HAPPY1

Any of the budget DACs that are recommended in Amir's reviews (everything in the blue and green section of the chart) will give you the best sound you can ask for.

So choose between them based on :

Price
Features
After sales support
Percieved brand quality
Etc.
i know i must be missing something but all i can see under the reviews is the ability to search by name? my issue being that im not sure what brands to search on?

definately not seeing the blue & green chart sections

gvl

Major Contributor
im currently connecting via optical digital out from the mac

USB is generally a better way to go but sometimes you may end up with a sticky ground loop. If your amp uses a 2-prong ungrounded wall plug this likely won't be an issue.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
i know i must be missing something but all i can see under the reviews is the ability to search by name? my issue being that im not sure what brands to search on?

definately not seeing the blue & green chart sections
Yeah - I know. It would be helpful if it were provided as a direct link from the review index.

It is available in most dac reveiws such as:

Just below the dashboard. You have to click it twice to zoom in sufficiently.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Click on the little magnifying glass with the a above the search box. Take you to this screen. I would start with
Dac for device
Price between
Recommended > yes
1702163940946.png

Top Bottom