• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best MQA Desktop DAC - preferably ~$500 though up to $1K

wjp007

If you must, I'd recommend the Topping e50 because it's really nice anyway and you can always put the volume down 1 percent on your player to disable the mqa if you want. Also Amazon has had a good sale on them lately. I've had a couple of them and no problems or surprises.
I second that comment. I just sold my e50 since I switched to using Dirac Live Bass Control on my PC which requires a multi-channel dac or AVR. I never thought a DAC could make that much difference, but this was clearly an upgrade of my AVR. For the price, it's hard to beat.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Topping D70 is available in an MQA version, I saved some by buying the non MQA version on sale :)
But it’s a contender if it’s on sale I think the e50 is much better priced as new

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just got another E50 a few minutes ago and I'm keeping it as a daily driver. Even with huge DSF files, skipping through them it never falters. Powering it with a Samsung ETA0U60JBE phone charger, and plugged into a Febsmart 2 USB port controller card located away from the video card, and on the heavy shielded side of the power supply. With the Topping A30Pro I couldn't ask for better in this price range. Going to take it for a spin on the Sabaj A20h amplifier, just 3 filters so it won't take long... $165 used on Amazon from Hificollege. Like new except the Amazon sticker which I'll gingerly remove with a hair dryer later :)

I don't want to get in trouble here. Maybe I'll argue about these things in another topic, IF it's reopened by some renowned member. I have already been informed that this is a "well worn territory, especially in the events of the last few years". I’m fine with that and enjoying the reviews made by Amirm. Even thinking to become a donor. If someone wants to expand their knowledge, there are official scientific sites available talking about hormones and such, as the one below:

The neurochemistry of music, National Library of Medicine

If someone likes the way mqa with some gear distorts sound, there’s nothing you and science can do about that. What science can do is try to understand why this distortion present in many music formats may be sounding more pleasant to some ears. And that's beyond math.
*thumbs up*
Science =/= only charts and numbers
Objectivity = charts and numbers
Science = the grey that is uncomfortable for many users here

Top Bottom