• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best DAC/amp combo for under $1000?

tusing

If you had $1k, what amp/DAC combo would you get for maximum transparency and objective performance?

edit: looks like the correct answer is to save another $100 and grab the ADI-2

Last edited:

darker

Obviously this will be very subjective. If there would be an obvious answer, there would not be so many DACs and AMPs out there, would they?

I decided to go with new NAD 356BEE. I could get a used NAD c352 for ~200€, but having no warranty, and unknown usage conditions (theese A/AB class amps get HOT +15 years old...) might require recapping, which does not make sense as i found 356BEE on idealo.de for 388€ new, with 5 years warranty! (msrp 700-800€).

For DAC, I would recommend to go with latest stuff: newer DAC chips, aptx hd bluetooth support, optical input, etc. I went with this and so far I do not regret: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...of-topping-dx3pro-dac-and-headphone-amp.4967/

Total price for combo: ~190USD for DX3PRO + 388€ for NAD + shipping fees. Superb setup for the buck.

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Objectively, based on combined SINAD numbers, within $1000 US total

March Audio DAC1 + THX AAA 789

This assumes you are looking for transparent sound, which may be an unfounded assumption.

jasonq997

Forum Donor
The answer is to get the THX AAA 789 and a transparent DAC that has features and aesthetics you like. A balanced output on the DAC would be a good feature to have with the THX.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd go with the Adi-2 DAC. Although it doesn't measure quite as well as various DAC/amp combos might, it comes very close, and has piles of features that you may find very useful over time.

PS: any objective (measured) advantage you might gain from various other combos will not be audible. The Adi-2 DAC's level of noise and distortion is already far far below anything that could be heard.

Last edited:

darker

If you had $1k, what amp/DAC combo would you get for maximum transparency and objective performance?

edit: looks like the correct answer is to save another $100 and grab the ADI-2
Maybe aproach the problem also by googling what headphones are you using: Best AMP/DAC for... Also, bring your headphones to the shop and try different combos. Try also tube amps. You cant really say which amp is the best unless you try it with your specific headphones. If you are buying 1000$ dac/amp, I assume u will use headphones like HD-800 or better?

Headphonaholic

Maybe aproach the problem also by googling what headphones are you using: Best AMP/DAC for... Also, bring your headphones to the shop and try different combos. Try also tube amps. You cant really say which amp is the best unless you try it with your specific headphones. If you are buying 1000$ dac/amp, I assume u will use headphones like HD-800 or better?
Or you could just buy the Khadas Tone board and JDS Atom and spend the rest of the money on good headphones since that is where you'll get the most benefit. As far as the concept of "pairing" headphones with various amps, it's really only applicable in the event that the amp has high output impedance or not enough power. If you are looking at a properly designed headphone amp it'll just work. Going to a store and trying stuff you might as well play Russian roulette on Amazon. Sighted listening is highly biased and is unreliable. Same with basically all of the subjective reviews/musings you'll find on the internet. Read the measurements and reviews Amir has on this site, that is all you need to do.

Top Bottom