• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best 100$ IEM? (Hexa??)

Yashiro_R

Looking for a sub 100$ IEM, I already own a DT770 Pro 80 Ohm (using with Oratory1990 EQ)
Recommend me something that will complement my Beyers (& teach me what I'm missing).
This will be my first IEM.
Albums I Love: Close to Edge by Yes, Marquee Moon, Talking Heads, Bowie Radiohead, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Can, Velvet (Mainly Rock Music) -- Beethoven's Symphonies, Mozart's Jupiter, Mahler -- The Black Saint & Lady, etc.
My DT 770s feel really weak on mids, the vocals don't feel too good.

Thanks for you Recommendations in advance. (Detailed recommendations would be great)

I am thinking of Hexa (that's at the end of my budget)

JSmith

Master Contributor

JSmith

OP
Yashiro_R

Yashiro_R

JSmith
I checked Resolves Reviews of Both, leaning towards Hexa (Zero has Bass, but I care more about Treble & Mids...Hexa is said to be more detailed & resolute...I'm new in hobby...have no idea what that means though...sorry). Anything to change my mind?

OP
Yashiro_R

Yashiro_R

Also, just a side question, how much improvement in sound quality (or how much increase in enjoyment will there be with something like HEXA) over DT 770s (which I am aware isn't that good to begin with?

OP
Yashiro_R

Yashiro_R

It means nothing, it's just YouTube reviewer BS heavily under the influence of pricing bias.
Enlighten Me? Look Dude I'll completely be honest, I am new here & have no Idea. What'll you Recommend & Why? (Keeping in Mind I already own DT 770 Pro 80)?

OP
Yashiro_R

Yashiro_R

It means nothing, it's just YouTube reviewer BS heavily under the influence of pricing bias.
I definitely want something like a better/different experience than the beyers. Help me out?

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Welcome @Yashiro_R. This is not a great forum for asking questions about what will sound better to you. You're more likely to get an answer talking about close matching to published preference curves. The answer from @JSmith is a good place to start, since both IEMs are good matches for well known preference curves and are well under $100. If you are patient, someone may be able to chip in and say they also have the DT 770 Pro 80 and that a specific IEM has worked well for them.

OP
Yashiro_R

Yashiro_R

I checked Resolves Reviews of Both, leaning towards Hexa (Zero has Bass, but I care more about Treble & Mids...Hexa is said to be more detailed & resolute...I'm new in hobby...have no idea what that means though...sorry). Anything to change my mind?
So Yeah, Thanks for the great Suggestion, I did a lot (like a lot, didn't knew how deep the rabbit hole can get you, got almost convinced that everything other than 64audio u12t is going to sound like shit...but that's obviously not true) of research. Looked at IEMS such as Wan'er SG, 7hz Zero, Salnotes Zero, Titan S, Tin T3 Plus, I think this hobby is far more confusing & people recommending shit often leaves the consumer more confused than resolute.

At the End, arrived just where I started: Truthear Zero (Red is not available where I live) OR Hexa. Will go with Zero after all? Thanks for the great suggestion again.

OP
Yashiro_R

Yashiro_R

1684740665439.png
Can anyone help me with this graph?

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just had the Hexa and Truthear Zero for a couple of days to compare. I'd get the Zero any day for music. The Hexa was more versatile for gaming without having to EQ down the bass with a filter. The new Truthear Zero red is on preorder and I placed an order sight unseen after hearing how great the Zero blue is.

OP
Yashiro_R

Yashiro_R

I just had the Hexa and Truthear Zero for a couple of days to compare. I'd get the Zero any day for music. The Hexa was more versatile for gaming without having to EQ down the bass with a filter. The new Truthear Zero red is on preorder and I placed an order sight unseen after hearing how great the Zero blue is.
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks! Only thing I want is to listen to music. My Beyers are great for Movies & I don't Game.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 287266Can anyone help me with this graph?
Find a tone generator online- careful with the volume out of your speakers/ headphones before pressing play

Listen to a 50 hz tone- the Zero emphasises that more. Listen to 200-500hz, the Hexa emphasises that more . Listen to a 2500 hz and a 5000 hz tone- Zero has more of those freqs. Of course you would have to evaluate real music to get the best idea of how they actually sound to you, but thats not possible without the IEM to hand.

I'll give you a warning- QC isnt impeccable on either unit- plenty of loose filters for the Zero reported here and elsewhere and I have had issues with my Hexa but suspect that is the case for many budget IEMs. The Hexa is infinitely more comfortable with the right tips (for my ears). The Zero has a far bigger bass thump- for better or worse.

The Hexa is pretty close (on graph at least) to the new Zero Red. Hexa is more compliant with Crinacle's IEF Neutral target 2023 (as shown in graph- if you added a bass boost which most do) but Zero probably closer to Harman IE 2019 (select that on his graph next time and see) so pick your poison on that if you have experience with either target.

Last edited:
OP
Yashiro_R

Yashiro_R

Find a tone generator online- careful with the volume out of your speakers/ headphones before pressing play

Listen to a 50 hz tone- the Zero emphasises that more. Listen to 200-500hz, the Hexa emphasises that more . Listen to a 2500 hz and a 5000 hz tone- Zero has more of those freqs. Of course you would have to evaluate real music to get the best idea of how they actually sound to you, but thats not possible without the IEM to hand.

I'll give you a warning- QC isnt impeccable on either unit- plenty of loose filters for the Zero reported here and elsewhere and I have had issues with my Hexa but suspect that is the case for many budget IEMs. The Hexa is infinitely more comfortable with the right tips (for my ears). The Zero has a far bigger bass thump- for better or worse.

The Hexa is pretty close (on graph at least) to the new Zero Red. Hexa is more compliant with Crinacle's IEF Neutral target 2023 (as shown in graph- if you added a bass boost which most do) but Zero probably closer to Harman IE 2019 (select that on his graph next time and see) so pick your poison on that if you have experience with either target.
Thanks for such a great reply! (I prefer/like my beyers after eq by oratory1990, which I think are according to Harman). I'll look into it.

OP
Yashiro_R

Yashiro_R

The Comfort is surely tempting, but isn't hexa more detailed & of better quality (tonality aside, which can slightly be interfered with eq).

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Comfort is surely tempting, but isn't hexa more detailed & of better quality (tonality aside, which can slightly be interfered with eq).
Not sure I subscribe to that school of thought. For me fit, comfort and tonality are key. Once you move into detail /technicalities I get a bit lost.

Of the 2, assuming no qc issues, I'd rather wear the hexa.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

kysa

Thanks for such a great reply! (I prefer/like my beyers after eq by oratory1990, which I think are according to Harman). I'll look into it.
If you're a big fan of oratory's EQ — give 7hz Zero a try, he made his EQ profile for them. I would advise you not to spend a ton of money on your first and blind purchase, since you have no idea which sound signature you prefer (OE preference curve usually doesn't correspond to IE curve). Be patient and play around with EQ on Salnotes Zero. This skill is truly useful. There's no magic IEM that would hit your preference curve perfectly.

Top Bottom