• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Battle of RCA Cables: Mogami, Amazon, Monoprice

NHL99

I don't need Furutech NFC Booster cable stands?

NFC Booster.png

Labjr

Major Contributor
I like Mogami and don't really consider it to be an audiophile brand. It's good wire with high quality connectors. If you're handy with a soldering iron, you can usually save by buying the cable in bulk, your connectors of choice and assemble your own.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I really like the IXCC interconnect for 3.5mm stereo plug to dual RCA plugs. Flexible and very well terminated. Just looked them up, seems like they're unavailable right now, but mine were around $12, as I recall.

61LODt45OhL.jpg

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have bought a pair of RCA cables from World Best Cables on Amazon and retuned them because the polarity was inverted compared to any of my balanced cables. Is it common for RCA cables to have inverted polarity?
What is your preamp? Sometimes pres will have inverted polarity out of the RCA and non-inverted over balanced. That may be your situation.

ezra_s

Forum Donor
I have the amazon basics one to go from RME ADI-2 to the Subwoofer. Feels great to the touch and no issues at all.

sam_adams

Major Contributor
So how many of you OGs remember Belkin Synapse cables?:

jL_0ECTMW8jx2Row_YL7U-2cH3_UyyBFzQfK4sNWYwXYkmRQzDJC5vll_-egPqoQqF1RoP1vm30CzD4CYUAnoa_-orOTBYnOACO-HTOSyhx3oPOy_SaSjsxtgC-8kSW0y75FIKob0kYHwzTrQjo0WDy4pZevjtAulUHyIQ

Folks were literally sporting wood over these when they were available. They can still be found on Amazon, but I doubt they are original Belkin product.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
- 100% mesh and foil shield can be found on $10 cables, double shields for not a lot more. There goes that RF and electrostatic argument

Fantastic post. You beat me to it. So many tests that have nothing to do with an actual audible sound that were not done. Anyone posting here would know that you always need to factor in 10 useless tests that show a picovolt of difference. Just so others can argue that it makes the product bad/different or junk compared to others. Can you name some companies that have inexpensive stuff that has the 100% mesh and or double shielding? Others may want to know to buy some. Thanks!

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
What is your preamp? Sometimes pres will have inverted polarity out of the RCA and non-inverted over balanced. That may be your situation.
I was using the MOTU M2's TRS output on the mains and RCA output on the SVS subs. I noticed that the frequency response was different from using MOTU UltraLite mk5's all TRS output or SVS's own XLR passthough. I inverted the SVS sub's polarity and then frequency response went back to normal. The RCA to RCA cable from WORLD BEST CABLE gave a inverted response. I have another RCA to XLR cable which gave normal response. Assuming the RCA input on SVS doesn't invert the polarity (according to SVS's response), either the RCA cable from WORLD BEST CABLE was inverted, both the RCA output of MOTU M2 and the RCA to XLR cable were inverted, or all of my TRS to XLR cable were inverted.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I also wanted to jump in that I have all Amazon Basics stuff and it all works. But my disclaimer is mine is all for home audio, I plug it in and then don't mess with the connections except for maybe once every 3 years. So it will never break under my almost non-physical touching after installation. YMMV,IMHO and other things. :)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I was using the MOTU M2's TRS output on the mains and RCA output on the SVS subs. I noticed that the frequency response was different from using MOTU UltraLite mk5's all TRS output or SVS's own XLR passthough. I inverted the SVS sub's polarity and then frequency response went back to normal. The RCA to RCA cable from WORLD BEST CABLE gave a inverted response. I have another RCA to XLR cable which gave normal response. Assuming the RCA input on SVS doesn't invert the polarity (according to SVS's response), either the RCA cable from WORLD BEST CABLE was inverted, both the RCA output of MOTU M2 and the RCA to XLR cable were inverted, or all of my TRS to XLR cable were inverted.
If you have a multi-meter, check if center pin goes to center pin on the other end. And ground goes to ground. IF so, and it mostly wouldn't work otherwise unless as you say RCA to XLR. Worst it could be is the wrong pin connected if you are using XLR to RCA WBC or using RCA to RCA with an adapter to XLR on one end.

If you cross connect the ends of the RCA cables they don't invert, they would ground out the signal and you would get nothing.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I also wanted to jump in that I have all Amazon Basics stuff and it all works. But my disclaimer is mine is all for home audio, I plug it in and then don't mess with the connections except for maybe once every 3 years.
My Amazon Basics cables have a harsh life with tons of connection/disconnections. They have held up completely under that load.

However, my cheaper XLR cables I bought (not Amazon Basics) have all lost their tight connections and are now useless after a few dozen insertions. :( Will have to do an article/video on them. The only one that has survived that kind of work and then some are the Mogami Golds.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So not sure If the APx input is Referenced to ground for this test or not?
APx555 leaves that to the user to ground or not ground. As to what you quoted, I have not found that to be true. There simply is no rules of thumb for when ground loops are created and how to get rid of them. I go through a complete matrix of grounding one end, the other end, cross grounding, chassis grounding, etc. and each works in a different situation. Sometimes nothing works.

The other day I was testing the JL audio car amp. I was getting massive mains spikes in the measurements. The amp was floating and powered from a battery bank. Measurement computer was a laptop running on battery. Inputs on AP were floating yet I was getting extreme amount of mains and harmonics. I grounded the negative battery terminal to the AP ground and it all vanished.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

iraweiss

I have a bunch of Monoprice cables and my experience has been sound is fine but they are heavy, stiff and either are difficult to insert and unplug (sometimes inserting the second channel wire pulls the first channel out of the jack) or tend to pull off the jacks due to their weight. The plugs are also so thick that they won't fit in the stereo jacks of older equipment. Many times I have just substituted the generic RCA cables that came with tape decks and other equipment many years ago. On the other hand they cost 1/10 what a Mogami costs. It would be great if you could test those generic cables that came with equipment from Denon, Pioneer, Sony, Yamaha etc. to see if they are any different measurement or sound wise from even the cheap Amazon or Monoprice cables.

BostonJack

Editor
Absolutely - Mogami are a great company. I have gone through literally kilometres of their console hookup cable (2944 I think) which is amazing quality. One time it was only supposed to be voltage sense to a 2kW amplifier but due to a fault it ended up taking the current. It did catch fire but it was still working when we pulled the plug because of the smoke. Plus it's tiny, flexible and comes in loads of colours - I think it's the same as the cores in their pro snakes.

Then again - the Amazon's will be just as good for an interconnect and there's no soldering to do.
Is the console hookup cable suitable for line-level interconnects inside, say, a DIY preamp? If not, do you have any recomendations?

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
About the discussion on Starquad cables, they are generally great for noise rejection but have been said to have higher capacitance. Also, I don't think they are the ideal match for RCA cables. That said, I'm using them for all my balanced interconnects. Not all Starquads are equal, but most are good enough

Top Bottom