• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Barrel Crimp Tool Recommendation

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I finally found a source for J4 and J6 connectors for purchasing in large bulk for my Hypex builds. However the company doesn't have a proprietary/specific crimping tool. Instead they said any handheld crimping tool meant for 24-28awg barrel crimping would work.

Doing a search and found a few that might work. However thought I'd see if anyone here has experience with a crimping tool for barrel connectors that works well.

Thanks!

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have a large collection of Knipex pliers and I agree that they are very high quality. However in looking at the above link I noticed on the left their style 97-2 wire plier which is a pattern that has been around for a long time. NEVER EVER buy one of these. The wire stripper will bite your thumb muscle. I had a japanese made pair of these ages ago and threw it away after this happened.

Neddy

Agree on thumb biters!
Not sure about crimpers - generally we used whatever tools the crimp manufacturer, or sales guy, recommended...back in the day when we had 'reps' for everything.

BTW, meant to reply to your earlier query about wire strippers.
I have 3 pairs of these, 1 going back to my HEP days in the 70s and still works fine.
https://knipex-tools.com/index.php?id=1023&page=group_detail&parentID=1363&groupID=1380
I suggested these at several different production shops, and all adopted them as prod standard tools immediately.
I gather there are cheaper knock-offs out there now....no idea on those.
Best wishes!!

mansr

Major Contributor
I have a large collection of Knipex pliers and I agree that they are very high quality. However in looking at the above link I noticed on the left their style 97-2 wire plier which is a pattern that has been around for a long time. NEVER EVER buy one of these. The wire stripper will bite your thumb muscle. I had a japanese made pair of these ages ago and threw it away after this happened.
Thumb biting or not, that design just doesn't work for any of the functions. Even if a Knipex-made one is presumably less flimsy than some incarnations I've seen, it's just not physically possible for it work well.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Depends on how much you want to spend, but Rennsteig (the crimp tool division of the aforementioned Knipex) has a nice series called Crimp System that’s widely used and oft rebranded. Neutrik’s crimp frame is a Crimp System with handles in Neutrik’s colorway. That’s several hundred dollars though. Another brand to look for is Pressmaster. They also make a great wire stripper.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thumb biting or not, that design just doesn't work for any of the functions. Even if a Knipex-made one is presumably less flimsy than some incarnations I've seen, it's just not physically possible for it work well.

Huh? I have used this one, which is similar in design to the above except for the cutter location, forever and it works extremely well.

https://www.tme.eu/en/details/wiha.24672sb/strippers-for-wire-cable/wiha/33847/

the blue (PTFE) blade cartridge (v-shaped blades) is what I use for pretty much everything.

There’s a cheaper one with no replacable cartridge by a German company named Jokari that I’ve used before that seems equivalent. That one is sold under Jokari brand and most of the German tool companies rebrand it. Looking at KC Tool’s website (KC Tool is pretty much the best source for good tools in the US) it looks like that one is available in Felo, Wiha, Knipex, and Gedore brands.
https://www.kctoolco.com/automatic-wire-strippers/
They also list mine as Gedore brand. $200 for tool and blue cartridge, ouch! I think I paid $25 or $30 for the blue cartridge in Phoenix Contact brand. So much of this specialty stuff is made by one company and rebranded by 50 that often you can mix and match brands based on price.

mansr

Major Contributor
Huh? I have used this one, which is similar in design to the above except for the cutter location, forever and it works extremely well.

https://www.tme.eu/en/details/wiha.24672sb/strippers-for-wire-cable/wiha/33847/

the blue (PTFE) blade cartridge (v-shaped blades) is what I use for pretty much everything.

There’s a cheaper one with no replacable cartridge by a German company named Jokari that I’ve used before that seems equivalent. That one is sold under Jokari brand and most of the German tool companies rebrand it. Looking at KC Tool’s website (KC Tool is pretty much the best source for good tools in the US) it looks like that one is available in Felo, Wiha, Knipex, and Gedore brands.
https://www.kctoolco.com/automatic-wire-strippers/
They also list mine as Gedore brand. $200 for tool and blue cartridge, ouch! I think I paid $25 or $30 for the blue cartridge in Phoenix Contact brand. So much of this specialty stuff is made by one company and rebranded by 50 that often you can mix and match brands based on price.
I was referring to this one:
97212154k.jpg

The type of stripper in your link can be very good. I've also encountered some (presumably cheap) variants of that design that didn't work at all, either doing nothing or cutting the wire.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was referring to this one:
97212154k.jpg

The type of stripper in your link can be very good. I've also encountered some (presumably cheap) variants of that design that didn't work at all, either doing nothing or cutting the wire.

Understood and agreed. Those are terrible and I’ve never understood why they’re so popular in the US. No ability to adjust for thickness (a given gage can be thicker or thinner based on stranding and layout), no depth stop, and so on.

Interestingly, per KC Tool that one is made in Japan.
https://www.kctoolco.com/knipex-97-...lated-open-plug-type-connectors-plastic-grip/

I guess they rebranded something as a sop to the US market, where that style dominates. You can’t even find typical Euro-style manual wire strippers in our box home improvement stores or most hardware stores.

mansr

Major Contributor
Understood and agreed. Those are terrible and I’ve never understood why they’re so popular in the US. No ability to adjust for thickness (a given gage can be thicker or thinner based on stranding and layout), no depth stop, and so on.

Interestingly, per KC Tool that one is made in Japan.
https://www.kctoolco.com/knipex-97-...lated-open-plug-type-connectors-plastic-grip/

I guess they rebranded something as a sop to the US market, where that style dominates. You can’t even find typical Euro-style manual wire strippers in our box home improvement stores or most hardware stores.
The style is ubiquitous in Europe too, and I can't fathom why.

mansr

Major Contributor
Wiha (Willi Hahn) tools are some of my favorites. ESPECIALLY small screw driver sets and hex and torx keys. Very hard steel and precision manufacture.
Wera is my go-to for screwdrivers and such. This is my favourite:
flaschenoeffner___bottleopener.jpg

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
The cheap ones on Amazon I ordered work perfectly! Will save me a lot of time and frustration with the J4 and J6 connectors.

Neddy

I like the Wiha stuff too, but also Klein:
1613872400425.png
:rolleyes:

Top Bottom