• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AVR buying advice NAD T58 vs ARCAM AVR390

jameson71

Hello All,

Long time reader, first time poster etc. etc.. I'm slowly building my sound system/small home theatre. I'm currently using an old Sony BTE-885 I got from a thrift store as my AVR/AMP. My speakers are FR/FL JBL590 C: JBL 520C and Surrounds are Polk OWM3. I also have a PB2000 sub and am contemplating a second before they end production. My biggest problem right now is that it will not decode DD+ from Netflix. I'm around 60% music and 40% HT. The ancient Sony allows me to specify different crossovers for FR/FL/C/surround which I like considering my speaker choices, which I read the Arcam may not support?

So I am looking for an AVR upgrade I think. I'd live to go with an HTP-1 and seperate amp, but this is out of budget for how much use it will get. I'm currently considering a refurbished NAD T758 for about $900 but discouraged by how poorly it tested. This has led me to considering an Arcam AVR390 as well that I can pick up for $1400 new unless I find a similar deal. The Arcam seems to have a one of the better DACs for an AVR. As far as I can see these both have support for all current surround formats and Dirac but rather weak amplifiers, especially the arcam. I also read that possibly the bass management in the Arcam is bad? I do love excessive bass in my music, but not in my HT. I am the type of person who feels the need to adjust the Surround speaker db response and subwoofer level for each movie and each different song. I'm hoping Dirac might help me stop that habit but not betting on it :)

I am strongly considering my next purchase after an AVR may be a Nord or KJF Ncore amplifier NC252MPx4, so in the future I may be using this AVR as a pre pro. I'll admit I am the type of person who tends to be dazzled a bit by numbers and measurements so I'm hoping some folks on this forum can also help me with a sanity check on my plans. Some folks say the terrible DAC measurements of the T758 would be inaudible, others say at least 80 db of DAC dynamic range is necessary.

I would consider myself the opposite of a "golden ear" in that as long as there is no background hiss and the (often times excessive) bass isn't bottoming out I'm usually pretty happy with the sound. Never noticed "increased airiness" or an "expanded soundstage" from one setup to another. My only complaint with the sound of my current system is maybe a small lack of mid-bass "punch" which i think is because all of my woofer/subs are ported. Using the port plugs on the 590's seems to help with that a bit while the sub fills the low-low end very well.

Am I right to be leaning toward the AVR390 for its good DAC numbers or would I be just as happy with the T758 for $500 less? Would it be worth it to stretch to the AVR10? I wish I could find a cheapish pre pro to pair with the amp I plan to buy, but all the pre-pros seem to cost more than an AVR with an integrated amp that I can use until I decide to pony up for the dedicated amp.

Thank you for reading and thank you for any advice or ideas you may have!

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello All,

Long time reader, first time poster etc. etc.. I'm slowly building my sound system/small home theatre. I'm currently using an old Sony BTE-885 I got from a thrift store as my AVR/AMP. My speakers are FR/FL JBL590 C: JBL 520C and Surrounds are Polk OWM3. I also have a PB2000 sub and am contemplating a second before they end production. My biggest problem right now is that it will not decode DD+ from Netflix. I'm around 60% music and 40% HT. The ancient Sony allows me to specify different crossovers for FR/FL/C/surround which I like considering my speaker choices, which I read the Arcam may not support?

So I am looking for an AVR upgrade I think. I'd live to go with an HTP-1 and seperate amp, but this is out of budget for how much use it will get. I'm currently considering a refurbished NAD T758 for about $900 but discouraged by how poorly it tested. This has led me to considering an Arcam AVR390 as well that I can pick up for $1400 new unless I find a similar deal. The Arcam seems to have a one of the better DACs for an AVR. As far as I can see these both have support for all current surround formats and Dirac but rather weak amplifiers, especially the arcam. I also read that possibly the bass management in the Arcam is bad? I do love excessive bass in my music, but not in my HT. I am the type of person who feels the need to adjust the Surround speaker db response and subwoofer level for each movie and each different song. I'm hoping Dirac might help me stop that habit but not betting on it :)

I am strongly considering my next purchase after an AVR may be a Nord or KJF Ncore amplifier NC252MPx4, so in the future I may be using this AVR as a pre pro. I'll admit I am the type of person who tends to be dazzled a bit by numbers and measurements so I'm hoping some folks on this forum can also help me with a sanity check on my plans. Some folks say the terrible DAC measurements of the T758 would be inaudible, others say at least 80 db of DAC dynamic range is necessary.

I would consider myself the opposite of a "golden ear" in that as long as there is no background hiss and the (often times excessive) bass isn't bottoming out I'm usually pretty happy with the sound. Never noticed "increased airiness" or an "expanded soundstage" from one setup to another. My only complaint with the sound of my current system is maybe a small lack of mid-bass "punch" which i think is because all of my woofer/subs are ported. Using the port plugs on the 590's seems to help with that a bit while the sub fills the low-low end very well.

Am I right to be leaning toward the AVR390 for its good DAC numbers or would I be just as happy with the T758 for $500 less? Would it be worth it to stretch to the AVR10? I wish I could find a cheapish pre pro to pair with the amp I plan to buy, but all the pre-pros seem to cost more than an AVR with an integrated amp that I can use until I decide to pony up for the dedicated amp.

The solution: Buy the Arcam AVR390 and have it drop shipped to Amir (PM him to arrange). :) Then we would all know.
I had the NAD in my theater and dirac works great. I am the one that sent it in to Amir to measure. Feature wise it is really good but as the measurements show, it obviously doesn’t measure well. I decided to move on from the T758 because I thought I didn’t think it sounded good played at loud volume in my setup (-10 and louder in particular). If you listen at reference volume the DAC measurements are an issue. Also concerning though are the amp measurements. Some external amps like outlaw or emotiva I thought would help for the L/C/R channels.
In regards to the Arcam, if I read correctly they fixed their bass management so that dirac is applied after bass management (if my memory is correct). I don’t think either of these units do independent dual sub eq (if you wanted that you might need a minidsp 2x4). I ended up getting a Denon X8500 with audyssey xt32. It does a very good job with dual subs and correcting below 500hz which sounds best in my room. If I wanted or needed to eq the full frequency range, Dirac would be a better tool for that I would think.
If it were me, in your position, I would get the Arcam, have it drop shipped to Amir to measure. As long as you weren’t listening at too loudly, the NAD would probably be fine too. But for me the measurements of both amps/dac’s were just too poor for me to keep. I was also put off by NAD’s total lack of response and lack of meaningful specs they list on their products.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer

So is this your AVR390 that you sent in to Amir?
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/arcam-avr390-avr-review.13071/

Top Bottom