• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AVR best inputs for 2.1 audio

dmoss74

Hi,

I am working on an amp to get for audio only listening, but for now I have a Yamaha TSR 7810 AVR.

I'm just wondering if there are any signal differences between the "Audio" inputs, vs the "AV", which have both RCA and optical inputs in regards to 2.1.

I don't use the pure direct mode either way. I use the straight settings so that I can use the bass management functions.

This AVR has a pretty decent parametric eq built into its DSP, too. Again, decent, not professional level.

Anyway, is the signal processing for 2.1 audio better suited for the "audio" inputs? Or is there no difference between that and the AV inputs?

The audio is sent via Bluesound node 2i and the speakers are KEF Q350s with an older JBL 10" powered sub.

thanks for any help.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I don't use the pure direct mode either way. I use the straight settings so that I can use the bass management functions.

This AVR has a pretty decent parametric eq built into its DSP, too. Again, decent, not professional level.
It's not going to make much difference, but probably best to use the digital inputs (optical/coax) so there is only one DAC involved. When you use the analog inputs and have DSP functions on, the analog will be converted to digital anyway, processed and then converted to analog for output.

JSmith

OP
D

dmoss74

It's not going to make much difference, but probably best to use the digital inputs (optical/coax) so there is only one DAC involved. When you use the analog inputs and have DSP functions on, the analog will be converted to digital anyway, processed and then converted to analog for output.

JSmith
I guess I'm confused. If I plug the RCA outs from the BS into the yamaha RCA inputs (in either situation), the burr-brown dac in the yamaha will still be engaged? That doesn't make sense to me. I still need to wire the BS to the receiver in some way.

Not to say the DAC in the receiver wouldn't be as good--or better--than the one in the BS. I'm assuming it's ok, but I don't really know the spec on it.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I guess I'm confused. If I plug the RCA outs from the BS into the yamaha RCA inputs (in either situation), the burr-brown dac in the yamaha will still be engaged?
Correct. But the extra ADC/DAC likely will not have any audible issue at all. For example a member did a test of circa 20 ADC/DAC conversions and still there was minimal difference.
That doesn't make sense
It does, as if you are using any DSP functions this is done in the digital domain.
I still need to wire the BS to the receiver in some way.
Yes, so use a digital out from the Bluesound Node;

1693546748770.png

Not to say the DAC in the receiver wouldn't be as good--or better--than the one in the BS. I'm assuming it's ok, but I don't really know the spec on it.
Unless it is very poorly implemented (likely not), even if not SOTA any measured difference will probably be well into inaudible territory.

JSmith

OP
D

dmoss74

Correct. But the extra ADC/DAC likely will not have any audible issue at all. For example a member did a test of circa 20 ADC/DAC conversions and still there was minimal difference.

It does, as if you are using any DSP functions this is done in the digital domain.

Yes, so use a digital out from the Bluesound Node;

View attachment 309112

Unless it is very poorly implemented (likely not), even if not SOTA any measured difference will probably be well into inaudible territory.

JSmith
thanks. i'll give that a try.

OP
D

dmoss74

thanks, JSmith. i pushed the coax from the back of the BS to the coax input on the receiver, and it sounds quite nice. Even in pure direct. It sonded muddier if I did that with the RCA inputs from the external DAC. I'm losing the sub doing that, but it actually sounds better than the 2.1 setup, when using the "straight" output. The Kefs get pretty decent bass response on their own, just not anything below 60hz (without extension).

thanks again.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Well as long as DAC and input line go above amplifier performance (SINAD) and you can assure stable connection which doesn't exhibit ground loops or added interface it really doesn't matter. On crowded devices like AVR's it's often better to use integrated DAC if it's not a bad or badly integrated one and with digital network or optical (preferably Toslink) input. Usually when doing re converting bottleneck or problem isn't second DAC but mediocre ADC. There are software/hardware solution's that can do DSP correction and output such corrected digital signal like MiniDSP Flex digital or Studio for example. Yamahas is known for rather very good integration of better old Burr Brown DAC's in their amplifiers and mixsets (Steinberg) so no need to worry there. If you're Yamaha AVR have Loudness (as equal loudness) function please try it out.

Top Bottom