• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Avantone Pro MixCube Monitor Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 169 83.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 15 7.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 15 7.4%

• Total voters

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I gave this one a shot, maybe I'll share it later, but this is a tough tune to mix and it's problems really come down to poor sound choices. The song sounds way better if you take out the organ entirely for instance. It needs some real doubles on the vocals, but you only get one take so it's hard to get convincing doubles for certain parts. If I'd offer a criticism on your mix, the verb on the vox doesn't work, it sounds better dry IMO. I think it's funny that you panned the cowbell to the same side as I did lol.
I really thought the voice was not well recorded. I don't get the feeling we are hearing as nice a voice as she has. All a matter of taste of course. Doubling or delay might have helped, but reverb didn't seem called for to me either. But I'm a lousy mixer.

Hexspa

I am sorry, but this crappy monitor translation check was always wrong-headed. Don't care how common it became.

First off, various TV's, cars and table top radios were all bad in hundreds of different ways. Your mix translating on a Horror Tone in no way insured it would work well on other crappy speakers. My mix sounds good on one crappy speaker it will be fine on all the other ways of being crappy it should be obvious is flawed logic. What might have had some validity was checking mono, and on a reduced bandwidth speaker. So a really good speaker with roll offs on each end would do the trick. Many speakers back in the day likely had response rolling off below 200 hz and rolling off above 4000 hz or even dying quickly above that point. This business about transient goodness and all that is just a bunch of hooey. So if you wanted a secondary speaker maybe LS3/5a's and filtering both ends or some such.

Now the modern version, I'd say some coaxial KEF LS50's with a bit of filtering. OTOH, now you probably want it to work on ear buds. There are thousands of different ear buds and 90 % of them are all horrible in their own unique ways. Some have very unbalanced frequency response, but a lack of general bandwidth cannot be counted upon. It is a fools errand to think one reference bad speaker or earbud could be a good stand in for mix checks. It always was a fool's errand.
Thank you for your contribution. To be clear, my interest is not in supporting the idea that "checking on 'bad' monitors is good practice". What I want to know is, in objective terms, what are the values in a loudspeaker that contribute to translation. The overlap is that some believe a 'bad' speaker is good for this task. Like you said, there's some truth to it.

Band-limiting when mixing is useful. Low distortion might be useful - indeed, higher end speakers exhibit this quality as well. Regarding the storied 'car-check', bass decay in cars is probably more ideal than in rooms due to the sound having no modal boundaries. I have a measurement of a 'lean-to' studio space made of plywood and the bass decay is superb - because it all leaks out.

As far as transient response being 'hooey', well even Floyd Toole disagrees with you. On this very forum, he is quoted as saying that in an otherwise balanced loudspeaker, step response improves depth and imaging. In my experience, I have compared the mixcube to the Yamaha HS50 and noted that the transient information in the Mixcube is sharper. I don't remember if I compared the mono mixcube to the stereo Yamahas or just one. When I get the speaker back, I'll compare 1-against-1 but the locations and levels will be different. This is why I sent the speaker in for spinorama - I know I am unable to do a precision comparison which follow the Toole/Olive guidelines. Having said this, I now have an objective measurement (step response) and the opinion of a widely-respected expert (Floyd Toole) that 'transient goodness' as you call it is not, in fact 'hooey'. This is ASR: please support your claim with objective proof. I have support to my claim, now its your turn. It ain't hooey.

It may be a fool's errand to check on a 'bad' speaker (whatever 'bad' means to you is undefined). Again, that's not what I'm supporting here. Your criticism entirely misses the mark of my points. My search is 'what are the objective qualities of a loudspeaker which contribute most to 'translation'. This is also as yet undefined in objective terms.

Hexspa

@amirm is it possible in klippel to export the impulse response so all can hear how the master equipment for professionals sound with a IR loader ? :cool:. Because rumors tell that you are only a professional mastering engenier if you hear and check your song on avatone and yamaha NS 10. ;)

I find a better FR of this avatone. maybe somebody is broken on your version or it is too loud for this speaker. dont forget when you measure 1 speaker at 90 db on a real world stereo setup it is 96 db loud then. https://www.skippyweb.eu/2021/11/avantone-pro-mixcubes/
Amir's measurement very closely mirrors that contained in the link you posted and my own in-room measurement at sub 86dB listening levels. You are free to propagate rumors but that is the diametrically opposite reason of why I sent this speaker in. For what it's worth, I think that 'rumor' is totally unfounded and I haven't heard it in my travels. On the contrary, like others have said here, mastering engineers tend to use full-range speakers exclusively and more in midfield.

Hexspa

one guy makes mixcubes (supercubes) with dsp and flat response. very popular in east europe
These are interesting but not meant to compete with the mixcube/auratone style speaker. They are specifically full-range and meant to be your main mixing tools. He also makes bigger speakers that are unavailable in the US. Actually I'm keen for someone to send these in. They are reported to have very narrow directivity. Perhaps as narrow as the avantone but their frequency response extends higher and maybe has less of a comb-filtered effect.

Hexspa

Well I had put an EDIT at the end of my post saying "EDIT: to check you mixes on lesser ranged equipment you could just add various Low & High Passes to your flat anechoic speaker to emulate smaller sized speakers that don't have the low end or the high end."
So if I had the audacity to suggest to a music creator what equipment they make their music on then I'd say full range flat anechoic speakers, and then if you want to check the mix's compatiblity on lesser ranged gear then you can just whack in a few different High & Low Passes onto your speaker to take away the bass and the high end. So I don't think there's any necessity to use randomly rubbish speakers with random horrendous frequency response deviations.
What do you mean "randomly rubbish"? Besides the frequency response, what else is rubbish? Do you see no value in this speaker whatsoever? Have you ever used one? Do you see that it has mostly low distortion, fairly smooth directivity and good step response? I'm here to talk metrics not opinions so if you can debate me on the technical merits of the speaker, I will respond. If you continue to use subjective terms to trash the speaker then I'm going to ignore you.

Hexspa

I find no real value in these sort of tools for checking mix translation. Just my experience.

This product is just hilarious to me. So it's like an intentionally crappy speaker, but it has a premium price, because it's a "special" kind of crappy lol. If the goal is to see how the mix translates to other less than good audio devices like a TV or bluetooth speaker, why wouldn't you just use those other devices that you more than likely already have? If you don't have them, go get one for much less than this speaker. Just seems kind of ironic to me.
I listed potential reasons a few posts up.

Hexspa

I disagree, at some level. I don't own a pair of these, or of any grotbox for that matter - but I do see the value in it as a basic sanity check, an attempt to break the circle of confusion somewhat.

Sure. There's no indication that any grotbox was representative of all bad speakers, just that it was a bad speaker. It's a "does this not sound completely broken if it were to be piped into a department store's ceiling speakers or played on a really awful car stereo?" kind of thing.

Sure, and that's something basically any crappy speaker would do comfortably. Could you just have a bandpass set? Sure, but that might not behave exactly the same way. LS3/5a is not exactly in the same level of crappy and high distortion as an Auratone or a Realistic Minimus 7.

Largely, yes. But not entirely. Lots of small ported full range speakers are an absolute mess in the low end.

I mean, yes. It's better than nothing though.

Yep. I don't consider them as anything more than a sanity check. If you were to mix largely on them (or on NS10s, or any shitbox sanity check speaker) your mix would sound terrible.
I agree with most of what you're saying other than that the mixcube is 'bad' and that it's high-distortion. It may be less useful in some scenarios and for people who are purely concerned with listening pleasure but, in my work, I have found it exceedingly useful. For distortion, at lower listening levels that experienced engineers recommend (well below 86dB C-weighted, slow response), this speaker mostly meets the same broadcast standard that Genelec uses so it is not high distortion. But, to be sure, it doesn't actually meet that standard (GRADE) entirely. The usefulness of this speaker is not entirely placebo, which the measurements show. It has numerous qualities which contrast typical full-range ported systems which are enough to at least serve as the sanity check you describe but potentially much more.

Hexspa

The pop music culture that enabled Good Vibrations and Hotel California are mostly dead, but there are still a few "pop" artists like John Mayer who do their own thing (who knew he was a guitar virtuouso??)
He started off wanting to be a guitar virtuoso. He went to Berklee in Boston with the sole intention of becoming the world's greatest guitarist. At some point, he realized the futility of that, perhaps the lack of metrical definition, and switched his focus.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you mean "randomly rubbish"? Besides the frequency response, what else is rubbish? Do you see no value in this speaker whatsoever? Have you ever used one? Do you see that it has mostly low distortion, fairly smooth directivity and good step response? I'm here to talk metrics not opinions so if you can debate me on the technical merits of the speaker, I will respond. If you continue to use subjective terms to trash the speaker then I'm going to ignore you.
Bass response is nearly non-existent. FR is rubbish or there is no sense in the world. Resonances are a bad thing for speakers to have. A whole string of them is not a plus no matter the step response. This has symmetrical directivity, but that isn't a good directivity plot. The opinion cars have no bass modal boundaries is another misconception that is too wrong to let pass. Transient response and FR are intertwined. You don't get good transient response with the FR this speaker has. Don't mistake step response for something else please. I am glad you sent it in, but it is a wrong headed speaker design. There is clearly a market for it unfortunately.

Last edited:

Hexspa

It’s not as if the speaker in question is even remotely close to simulating the overwhelming variety of transducers in use today. Software is clearly the far better solution.
I never said that it was - other people have said that. Software, again, cannot account for all the properties of this speaker. Use software to change directivity, diffraction, off-axis response, distortion characteristics, etc. Software is not the better solution - software is good for some things but not everything. You cannot totally emulate a loudspeaker with software alone. IK Multimedia has tried this in their most recent Precision line and the review I saw said it had mixed results. Of course it did - software can't do everything!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I never said that it was - other people have said that. Software, again, cannot account for all the properties of this speaker. Use software to change directivity, diffraction, off-axis response, distortion characteristics, etc. Software is not the better solution - software is good for some things but not everything. You cannot totally emulate a loudspeaker with software alone. IK Multimedia has tried this in their most recent Precision line and the review I saw said it had mixed results. Of course it did - software can't do everything!
Software cannot do everything, but a speaker this horrid has value?

What this speaker might do usefully is a side effect of its horrid performance. A slight software tailoring to get that without all the other things would be better. The most horrid parts of this are not a benefit.

Hexspa

I don't agree with any of this for the same arguments that were made originally by a few people already and encapsulated very succinctly when @Blumlein 88 said: "My mix sounds good on one crappy speaker it will be fine on all the other ways of being crappy it should be obvious is flawed logic". I mean you can't refute that. Just take an ideal speaker (anechoic flat & full range) for your music creation and then High & Low Pass it to varying degrees to check it's still balanced and including enough "interest" on gear that can't reproduce the lows and the highs. Logically I can't see a more convenient and practical/valid way of doing it.
I agree that the particular argument you refute is unsound. What I dispute is that simple filtering can produce all the useful qualities of speaker like this. Also, regarding 'translation', many mix engineers dispute that an "ideal" speaker (which you define as simply anechoically flat and full range but I think other qualities are perhaps even more important) helps produce the best translation. This is just Ryu vs Ryu - a stalemate is inevitable, all things being equal. What remains undefined is "What are the qualities that contribute most to 'translation' in a loudspeaker when it is used in the nearfield, what are their relative weighting and order, and can that be summed up into a single 'translation score' as Olive and Tool have done for 'preference'?

It's easy to trash this speaker and refute straw man arguments. Maybe you're not replying to me. In that case, I'm with you: using a crappy speaker is pointless. But if you want to be with me, you have to look closer at the individual qualities of various monitors which have been praised for their 'translation' and identify what, in concrete terms, is 'translation'? 'Crappy' is easy to define: it's not flat, it has resonances, etc. That said, some monitors which aid with 'translation' - this Avantone Mix Cube included - have some 'crappy' qualities. Yes, even the ATC SCM25A - practically holy - is not 'ideal' at all.

Hexspa

Bass response is nearly non-existent. FR is rubbish or there is no sense in the world. Resonances are a bad thing for speakers to have. A whole string of them is not a plus no matter the step response. This has symmetrical directivity, but that isn't a good directivity plot. The opinion cars have no bass modal boundaries is another misconception that is too wrong to let pass. Transient response and FR are intertwined. You don't get good transient response with the FR this speaker has. Don't mistake step response for something else please. I am glad you sent it in, but it is a wrong headed speaker design. There is clearly a market for it unfortunately.
Ok, the FR is non-flat. So what? Does a flat FR guarantee translation? For some it does not. Ok, resonance is not good. Perhaps you are right there. It is true for far field and maybe also applies to nearfield. Symmetrical directivity is a plus, some people say it's particularly advantageous in the nearfield. This is something for which software can't correct. Cars, compared to rooms, certainly have less modal ringing below 80Hz than rooms of normal construction. I have shown (look at 'perfect decay' but I will try to post the image here.) that a plywood room will exhibit virtually perfect decay. When you hear a car roll by with a subwoofer banging, all that you hear is not ringing in the car. Are there modes in a car, of course, but not like in rooms and that is exactly one reason why using a speaker like this is useful: its sufficiently different as to give you a new perspective.

I'm here to tell you that, until now, I have perceived the transient response of this speaker to be excellent. For sure, I will be reviewing my subjective perceptions once I get it back. Amir didn't post the impulse response so, if not step response, what is the indicator of good transient response besides low-resonances? And even if resonances impede transient response - which I understand they do due to minimum phase relationship - which frequencies need to ring to produce the most detriment to transients? Transients are high frequency but there are also percussive sound elements which are lower in frequency. This speaker certainly has ringing at many frequencies but it is not 'mushy' to listen to, that I can assure you.

If I am missing something about step response then please fill me in about the specific points you feel that I lack. I understand it to be an alignment of drivers and, assuming otherwise high 'preference' qualities (low-resonance included) it can make an improvement to the image and depth. Depth is related to dynamics which is related to transient response.

This is not entirely a misguided speaker design because it is a tool for mixers and it helps some of them. Your needs are not the market, clearly, but this speaker helps some to achive 'translation'. If you are not mixing then that quality is totally lost for you. Can this speaker genre be improved? Perhaps but first we need to define 'translation'. I have already called for this.

Attachments

• perfect-decay-plywood.png
    perfect-decay-plywood.png
    390.7 KB · Views: 34

Hexspa

Software cannot do everything, but a speaker this horrid has value?

What this speaker might do usefully is a side effect of its horrid performance. A slight software tailoring to get that without all the other things would be better. The most horrid parts of this are not a benefit.
You might be right - this speaker is perhaps not ideal for its intended purpose. That said, despite being as 'flawed' as it is, it is still useful to some people. We have to know which objective components are the most useful for 'translation' and which are the least and prioritize accordingly. Ok, I think that perhaps the resonances have no validity. We would have to compare speakers with resonances and those without in the nearfield and ultimately conduct tests to find which mixes translate the best. Hypotheses are good but are not theories. Translation and preference are not the same thing. This is a speaker with useful qualities and not-useful qualities but, overall I do not take it to be rubbish. At least, at this point, I would not throw it away. Rubbish is literally trash, this speaker has proven itself useful to many people. My only question is as to exactly why.

Hexspa

Auratones and their like were not called 'grot boxes' without a reason - they have never been considered a Hi Fi product. What they are though is a useful auxiliary speaker than can be used in multiple ways in the daily jobs found in an average Music, TV & Film sound studio.
  • The resonances are irrelevant, the speakers are likely to be screwed down to a movable mounting plate on top of the console anyway, not mounted on stands. The resonant frequencies will change amplitude as a consequence.
  • The audio quality is almost irrelevant, if you are listening to your mix on them it's as a 'check' only. You can always try listening to your mix in the corridor outside too. Both techniques useful to get a 'feel' of the sound. Dubbing theatres have the requisite large panel TVs with the speakers wired up in common domestic arrangements too for 'check' purposes.
  • They are useful for Production Gallery to Sound Talkback, Snoop Mics, Reverse Talkback, Sound Boom Talkback, V/O booth Talkback etc.
  • It's cheaper to blow an Auratone cone than your ATC or whatever you have when checking mic rigs or chasing faults pre-fader. Who hasn't remembered not to turn the phantom on/off or try to clean a dirty cable connection with a fader up or PFL engaged to the speakers?
  • Being a 'Professional' product they might be more expensive, but a replacement is more likely to be in stock and available if you do 'pop' one (well they were pre-covid!).
The list goes on. Did once come across a very large S*L console which had a model railway track across the top of the meter bridge. The desk was so wide the Near Field Yamahas and Auratones were automatically motored across the desk from side to side depending on the mixers seating position. The customer was very well known and confidential information.

The Focusrite Virtual Reference Monitoring Box has a very good modelling mode which emulates the Auratone 5C on headphones. Now discontinued, but often still seen for sale, I got mine for £25 six months ago.
Focusrite has inexplicably discontinued a number of their prized products including Liquid Channel. This was before my time but I am aware of their controversial decisions.

Lots of good points, I can't vouch for all of them but there are some unique ones I haven't seen like using them as a talkback speaker or a 'fuse box' speaker.

Hexspa

I play around with mixing sometimes (no pro in any ways). downloaded some multitracks, mixed and when I checked on my TV speakers the kick was gone lol.
I than actually "remixed" on my TV speakers and finished on my mains and now I can hear the kick on any device:
I know that song. Brazil has some amazing music. You mixed this on your TV? lol it really does translate. This is a good mix. I'm tempted to pipe audio into my UHD monitor to try and mix on it.

Hexspa

Sorry, nope. Wrong premises lead to wrong results. Was it used because it was bad or because it was good in midrange centric sound? All you need is a filter on both ends for what you are describing. Truth tellers, no, not telling the truth is not the truth.
In his quote, he didn't use the word 'bad' did he? This is ASR, can we please use more specific technical language to debate precise points? 'Bad', 'crap', 'vampires' are the vocabulary I expect to find on other sites and are fundamentally undebatable terms, being entirely subjective and opinion-based or at least a conception unique to the person who speaks them. Here, we coalesce around a set of data points. Empirical evidence is best used to bolster concrete facts. After all, Bad was a great album.

Top Bottom