• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audyssey sub level all the way down, inverted polarity and a REW question

XpanD

Forum Donor
A quick run-down of my setup:

PC over HDMI (set to 5.1) > Marantz SR6013 (XT32) > Genelec 8341A speakers + a 12" sealed BK Electronics XXLS400 subwoofer + passive surrounds.

The Genelecs are calibrated using the GLM kit, and Audyssey is set to bypass on front L/R -- the receiver just manages the crossovers and LFE side of things, as well as correcting my surrounds.

During measurements, Audyssey complains that my front speakers have their polarity inverted. I can confirm this in REW; the impulse peak is negative. They are connected to the receiver's pre-outs using RCA to XLR adapters, Procab VC102 I believe? Nothing else in the chain.

The second issue is subwoofer levels. When I run Audyssey (via the phone app), it tells me to change my subwoofer volume so the output lands in the green bar, like so:

audyssey-07-adjust-sub-level.png

I do this, run through the sweeps, submit my profile to the receiver... and the level will be at -12dB, which is as low as it can go. Measuring one of the front speakers in REW with crossovers active also shows the level is way low. Raising the level to ~-2dB corrects it.

What's going on here? Is it safe to raise the level like this, or will this cause issues with surround material like games and movies? What could be causing the polarity switch for my fronts?

Also, a question for the REW buffs... Is the LFE channel supposed to be 10dB hot when measured on its own, or should it be at the same level as other speakers? (tested with left channel as reference, right channel routed to LFE via EqualizerAPO)

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Not an answer to your questions, but have you considered taking matters fully into your own hands?

OP
XpanD

XpanD

Forum Donor
Interesting, missed that one. I've messed with Ratbuddyssey before, but this looks even more flexible.

Might poke around with that later if I can get these issues fixed up, thanks for the pointer!

Last edited:
Top Bottom