• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audyssey Multieq-X, Improved sound quality?

Nwickliff

I don't know if it's because of having to round to the 10ths in decimals when it comes to frequency, Q, and Gain but I have been doing moving mic measurements and adding the EQfilters REW gives me manually and have not gotten great results at all.

REW and mini DSP has created incredibly even frequency responses that I just can't recreate with manually inputting the filters into MultEQ. So have resorted to letting Audyssey do its thing and then add extra EQ on top to flatten things out. Still not as good as REW and miniDSP but closer. Can't wait until we can import REW without manually typing it in.

Am I missing something as far as which EQ device I should use in REW? Been using generic.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know if it's because of having to round to the 10ths in decimals when it comes to frequency, Q, and Gain but I have been doing moving mic measurements and adding the EQfilters REW gives me manually and have not gotten great results at all.

REW and mini DSP has created incredibly even frequency responses that I just can't recreate with manually inputting the filters into MultEQ. So have resorted to letting Audyssey do its thing and then add extra EQ on top to flatten things out. Still not as good as REW and miniDSP but closer. Can't wait until we can import REW without manually typing it in.

Am I missing something as far as which EQ device I should use in REW? Been using generic.

I don't know what you meant by "manually inputting the filters into MuleEQ". In my experience, using the App and Ratbuddyssey, you can get a very flat FR in the lower frequencies, then it is a matter of putting a tilt towards 20 Hz if you prefer the so called Haman curve.

This is what I get with Audyssey that I could not do with minidsp+REW on top or without Audyssey. So to me Audyssey with the App/Rat is a much better way to do it, without all those extra wires.

The first graph took me some time, but when I moved the couch recently I re-run Audyssey. This time I just edit it with the App/Rat and added only a few data points so it took about an hour. The result is in the second graph.

1643828199163.png

1643828477278.jpeg

hmt

Nwickliff

I don't know what you meant by "manually inputting the filters into MuleEQ". In my experience, using the App and Ratbuddyssey, you can get a very flat FR in the lower frequencies, then it is a matter of putting a tilt towards 20 Hz if you prefer the so called Haman curve.

This is what I get with Audyssey that I could not do with minidsp+REW on top or without Audyssey. So to me Audyssey with the App/Rat is a much better way to do it, without all those extra wires.

The first graph took me some time, but when I moved the couch recently I re-run Audyssey. This time I just edit it with the App/Rat and added only a few data points so it took about an hour. The result is in the second graph.

View attachment 183727

View attachment 183728
Glad you go there. This has definitely not been my experience with Audyssey and I prefer to EQ the entire range as I don't prescribe to the Schroder frequency only eq. Audyssey MultEQ let's you input specific frequencies, Q and gain to make adjustments instead of dragging your finger up on an app. The latter works great for lowend general frequencies but no so much the higher up you go.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The latter works great for lowend general frequencies but no so much the higher up you go.

Agreed, that's why I won't use the App with the finger drawing thing, but use the Rat interface instead. With Rat you can even EQ the left and right channels individually, some will argue that it is better to EQ left and right as one but I don't agree with that and even in the video iirc, Jeff seemed to be willing to add that feature via future update but he really didn't say it, just my interpretation. So until then, the App+Rat has the edge in that sense.

Nwickliff

Agreed, that's why I won't use the App with the finger drawing thing, but use the Rat interface instead. With Rat you can even EQ the left and right channels individually, some will argue that it is better to EQ left and right as one but I don't agree with that and even in the video iirc, Jeff seemed to be willing to add that feature via future update but he really didn't say it, just my interpretation. So until then, the App+Rat has the edge in that sense.
What is Rat? excuse my ignorance.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What is Rat? excuse my ignorance.

Sorry, I meant the Ratubuddyssey user interface that is downloader for free. It is very easy to use and you can enter as many data point as you want:

If you spend even a couple of hours tweaking your target curve with the App/Ratbuddyssey, I can guarantee you will get a flatter curve than using minidsp+REW's PEQ/Biquad filters. The thing I don't like using the mini, now that we have the Audyssey App, is the 2 V output limit, and all the extra interconnect cables required. Some people seem to think they are a must if you have more than 2 subwoofers, but in fact Audyssey can do very well with 4 subwoofers as well, if you can place two equi-distance as a group.

OP
T

truwarrior22

We dont even know what "improved clarity, detail, imaging" even means. MultEQ X does the same as the previous version. It just is more easily to costumize.
Yeah, I splurged. I din’t really notice a difference, however, it is easier to use. I did find out moving the center channel all the way to the front edge of the cabinet makes difference in the lower midrange by a few db, so that was useful. Appears moving the TV forward and back doesn’t make of a difference. We’ll see what other new features they add.

Nwickliff

Yeah, I splurged. I din’t really notice a difference, however, it is easier to use. I did find out moving the center channel all the way to the front edge of the cabinet makes difference in the lower midrange by a few db, so that was useful. Appears moving the TV forward and back doesn’t make of a difference. We’ll see what other new features they add.
There’s zero difference in the calculation or algorithm. The difference lies entirely in the ability to manually manipulate the curve and eq yourself.

Top Bottom