• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AudioQuest JitterBug USB Filter Review

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

LPaudio

I cant help but read these reviews, and the following commentary, and think about how some people smell a distinct odour when urinating after eating asparagus while others do not. Is it conceivable that this is similar to how people perceive differences in auditory signals even when the source is technically (and perhaps measurably) similar?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I cant help but read these reviews, and the following commentary, and think about how some people smell a distinct odour when urinating after eating asparagus while others do not. Is it conceivable that this is similar to how people perceive differences in auditory signals even when the source is technically (and perhaps measurably) similar?
erm... That's a biggg stretch of a analogy. I think you are reaching a bit far.
Black Cat Analogy.jpg

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Some of us certainly get an unpleasant whiff emanating from a lot of AQ stuff.

Sics

In my opinion Jitterbug can make sense (if any) only with USB-powered devices like AQ Dragonfly or iBasso DC04 or lots of external USB audio interfaces. As far as I know the tested devices, each of them has external power supply.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Maybe if their PSRR is appalling enough. In that case, it's still just an hemostatic agent and not really an "enhancement". Speaks more to the quality of the DAC than the virtues of the Jitterbug. It's seriously just a simple filter. "Page 1" kinda stuff in any electronics educational literature.

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is it that the odour always changes but only some people can smell it?
Or does the odour only change for some people?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

It's a shame that HFN, who usually publishes at least basic measurements, "forgot" to do some for this review...:facepalm:

Katji

Major Contributor
Why are they doing this shit now - it's 2022, the Jitterbug was hardly useful in 2015^^^when they reviewed it.
.....It lives on, a mental jitter bug.

EkNad

The name notwithstanding, USB is not a bus. The data connections are point-to-point, so plugging something into one port will not affect the signal of others. Vbus is likely supplied from a single regulator, so a load could have some effect on other ports, though since they should have individual bypass caps, it will be limited. A series filter on an unused port will do nothing, at least nothing useful. Dangling wires may pick up noise and inject it into the system, including the used ports, or they may increase radiated emissions. All considered, plugging these things into unused USB ports is more likely to do harm than good, though in a reasonably well designed system, it will have no effect whatsoever.
Old post, but I can confirm that Fmj Jitterbug disturbing the Signal from laptop to iFI Zen DAC V2 as a Tidal Decoder with Mqa and a long Supra usb cable.

Glitches and stuttering....... When I Disconnect Jitterbug, bliss and happy music.

No problems with local MP3, Flacs cd or hirez or Cd quality Tidal tho. No problems with Tidal on the Dragonfly either.

But people should know the issue with Tidal Mqa and jitterbug.

Amir please don't feed Gadgets to your dog, it's waste of climate, and could be dangerous for your pet, like a visit to the Vet.. Better for the Climate to offer it free to an Audiophile on ASR.

I have no idea however jet if the Jitterbug do a "positive" difference, but it Shure don't like to transfer MQA to a Decoder.

EkNad

Amir demonstrated the device does not change what is coming out of the DAC. If I put this between a computer and a printer, and the images from the printer are the same, then we know this is not improving anything. Same goes for a computer and a DAC. The printer and the DAC outputs are not being effected by RF/EMI, so it doesn't matter.
Nope Music digital is not related to printers, the printers is not timing critical, other that when it's empty of INk and you should have sent the documents the same day by mail or office...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I have no idea however jet if the Jitterbug do a "positive" difference, but it Shure don't like to transfer MQA to a Decoder.
I'd consider that one positive effect. :p

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Old post, but I can confirm that Fmj Jitterbug disturbing the Signal from laptop to iFI Zen DAC V2 as a Tidal Decoder with Mqa and a long Supra usb cable.

Glitches and stuttering....... When I Disconnect Jitterbug, bliss and happy music.

No problems with local MP3, Flacs cd or hirez or Cd quality Tidal tho. No problems with Tidal on the Dragonfly either.

But people should know the issue with Tidal Mqa and jitterbug.

Amir please don't feed Gadgets to your dog, it's waste of climate, and could be dangerous for your pet, like a visit to the Vet.. Better for the Climate to offer it free to an Audiophile on ASR.

Wow, an issue that affects MQA specifically! Maybe it should be a new test.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Lol not for me, that subscribed to Tidal, but I know MQA is debated....
I agree. I would also be upset if mqa was broken... Even if there aren't that many mqa high res tracks I haven't listened to yet.

Top Bottom