• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophoolery humour thread

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Floor-standing?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
More like squat. :oops: (ducking)
:D Kal, do you play around with tube gear, or are you focused on effective reproduction of sound?

The Heresys do play better with my tubes than more modern and advanced speakes here due to relatively high minimum impedance and relatively high sensitivity.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Output impedance of most tube amps is somewhat higher than for most SS amps and may make a difference.

FWIW: Some old timers recommend adding one to three ohm of series resistance to speaker cables when using an SS amplifier' with classic' tube era loudspeakers to get a similar performance.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That actually is important. I had plain screws and then I upgraded to gold plated, made a Manhattan, turned the volume up a bit, concentrated more than normal and viola, best sound I have ever gotten from my system. They complete the look too.

Wait, the screws turned your system into a (beautiful sounding) viola?

JSmith

Master Contributor
1613956474630.png

JSmith

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There's one every day.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/purifi-class-d-junk

As usual, the teo_audio contribution is offensively empty snobbery. I'm just gobsmacked at his gumption to make crap up out of whole cloth and sell it as his hard-earned expertise and exceptional talents:

It is a fact that the middle of the herd is not the top of the mountain or the peak of endeavor.

No matter how much the middle of the herd may look around and try to convince itself of that by looking at those (others) which may be similar and comfortable.

Hearing is one of those things that is not perfected in measurement or meaning, not by a long shot. Therefore we have no perfect correlation in measurement that can fit what we hear. Hearing is a thign that is a massive variable in quality and capacity tied to the brain, in discernment, a variance a great as the variances in human intelligence. And human intelligence can span a difference as large as a million to one, in cognitive speed differences. Seriously. that huge a range. (add 5 IQ points, halve the cognition rate or speed). Hearing is tied to this, and is similar. not the same, bit similar. connected to it. Thus hearing has a IQ connection or quotient of a sort. Not all ear/brains are the same. There is a range, of capacity, for discernment. differences between individuals.
To add, part of our hearing is self trained, self created.

I really don't care about the people who love their kilobuck class A amps, think hockey pucks help the sound and are having fun with the differences they imagine. But his kind of pretending - that's despicable.

and look at the logic - hearing skill is massively variable (false)->it is as variable as intelligence (false/unproven)->asserting a decibel scale of cognitive speed that is directly correlated to IQ (false.https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0160289604000479)->hearing and IQ are connected (entirely unsupported). This is some serious excrement, folks, with more than a hint of "I hear better because I'm smarter".

Last edited:
Top Bottom