• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audioengine A5+ Powered Speaker Review

warpdrive

Thank you - a very interesting product

Actually, I'm almost seeing the WiiM as something that could go with the LS50 Meta - basically making your own LS50W (I'm sure there are some compromises) but keeping the complex electronics packaging separated from your expensive passives. I really like the look of this kind of product, will take a closer look at it - thanks.

Absolutely. Passive speakers don't have built-in obsolescence.....they can go on for decades without needing to be replaced. No need to rely on an App to control it or configure it. LS 50 Meta would be awesome choice.

warpdrive

I would go with a Wiim Pro amplifier, and choose some good passive speakers. In terms of ease of use, this is excellent because

1) It has a HDMI ARC port. That means the TV's audio can be routed to the Amp/Speakers. The power and volume of the Amp is controlled by the TV's remote (using HDMI CEC), so it's seamless to use as TV speaker replacement.
2) It handles all the streaming services....and supports casting via Airplay and Chromecast.
3) Supports multiroom audio....just add more units.

Pick a good passive speaker like a Wharfedale 12.1 and you have yourself a great hub for all your music needs and the system acts as a 2.0 or 2.1 music centric system.

Also it has a proper subwoofer output with a user adjustable crossover (a real crossover is missing from most consumer amps until very recently). This is a biggy if you ever want to expand to 2.1. Previously you would have to spend a lot more for either a AVR or something like a Bluesound Powernode for an amp that properly supports a subwoofer.

If you don't want passive speakers, the alterantive would be the ELAC Connex powered speaker. This also has HDMI ARC connection so it is also seamless and your TV will control the speaker's volume and power and can route its audio to the speaker. The Connex has other inputs so you can hook up other audio sources as well if you have a streaming box.

But overall the Wiim Pro is a game changer and seems like the best solution for a one-and-done audio system.

Sorry, I made a mistake in my post.....I was referring to the WiiM Amp....not the WiiM Pro. The Amp has a speaker amp for passive speakers, the WiiM Pro just has line out

Specifically this product https://www.wiimhome.com/wiimamp/overview

Top Bottom