• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audioengine A5 replacement

AdieSonic74

Hi to everyone here at ASR,
First time poster and enthusiastic noob alert: I'm new to the forums and fresh out of the wrapper. I'd love to hear some opinions and advice that can help me with my upcoming A5 replacement.
I'm a "bedroom" DJ (or more accurately a living room DJ) mixing and mashing up various genres of house music for my own amusement, with a Pioneer DDJ1000 controller.
The speakers are pretty close to my decks and the room I'm in is approx 3m x 4m. I don't have any pretensions about playing to parties and I'm not producing music.
I do like to play at a volume I can feel (sorry neighbours) and like most people I absolutely loathe distortion and mushy sounds. I think I like a fuller sound than some people, and find what some people would describe as "good" sound a little bit thin. Not sure if that's very helpful? I live a long way from audio stores so "try before I buy" listening is quite challenging. I'm trying to narrow down a selection of active speakers with a max budget of GBP £600. I'm not unhappy with the A5's (they're damaged). What are good (better?) alternatives or stick with what I know?

I have a QAcoustics QB12 sub which was a bit of a mad choice (got an amazing deal on it) so an output for a sub is a requirement and bass frequencies can be well handled by that monster.
Really grateful for advice / opinions / pointers to relevant reviews / discussions I've missed.

Thanks in advance!

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi @AdieSonic74! Welcome to ASR.

Since the DDJ 1000 has both XLR and RCA Line out, I'd just connect the QB12 to it via RCA and the monitors via XLR.
That way, you won't be limited to monitors with built-in Sub output.

Speaking of, I'd take a look at active Nearfield monitors from Adam, Kali, and JBL. Here's a list within your budget: Link

OP
A

AdieSonic74

Since the DDJ 1000 has both XLR and RCA Line out, I'd just connect the QB12 to it via RCA and the monitors via XLR.
That way, you won't be limited to monitors with built-in Sub output.
Thanks @staticV3 that's a good point about the line out options, now why didn't I think of that it increases the choice by a whole magnitude.

Top Bottom