• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Research 100.2 Power Amplifier Review

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Yes, but they were using subjective qualitative judgement. Even the gear was and is a component of that. For example, one famously successful studio had a Pultec EQ wired into every channel.
Your talking a circular argument, there's creation and there's reproduction.
When creating the object is to make art, the creator has the choice in the sound of everything used.
In High Fidelity the reproduction goal first to maintain the sound of the source.

Nothing sounds the same. Everything comes in it's own flavor.
BS, close your eyes and you may finally learn what you think your hearing is a expectation bias.

Variance in human perception. Momentary and long term. Also that the variances are due to poorly understood relationships between different neurological components that we collectively call hearing.
More magic dust BS. A transparent system will sound like the source to everyone, a distorted one will do the same. Variances in perception have nothing to do with it, only preferences change.

I have tube gear that has relatively high distortion specs, but I hear spatial qualities from those units that not reproduced in better measuring solid state gear.
Just the result of distortions, not a clearer view of the source.

There comes a point when the players are all in the same measurement ball park.
Depending on the "ball parks" success in getting below a reasonable detection level, then those components do sound the same.

You are back to the subjective. The art of crafting euphony.
Crafting euphony is not the goal of High Fidelity and never has been.
Crafting accuracy is.

They'd bring their wives and girlfriends. All subjective. Then they would make circuit and design adjustments.They would do this till they agreed they had met their goals of achievement. It was a very subjective and scientific process. And expensive.
No science was involved there after the initial measurements since absolutely no bias controls were put in place during listening, only subjective impressions were taken into account. Completely without any value if HiFi is your goal.
And again, just a system tweaked to sound pleasant, not accurate. Everyone's opinion of what's pleasant is their own. That's what tone controls are for, to play with to your hearts content until your happy.
Don't you ever tire of confusing HiFi and "Euphonic distortions", or are you here just to pull serious peoples chains with your continued misguided postings? Since you refuse to try and understand even the most simple basic concepts, IMO you are simple here to troll.
Bye.

Last edited:

Isotonic

Well, thank to this review, the used market price on this great amp has dropped like a rock. So I was able to get one at a great price. Changed a few caps and added it to the main system today. It sounds even better than I remember. The sound stage opened up widely with increased inner detail. Very three dimensional. In a word, Gorgeous! Thanks for trashing this great amp. Keep up the good work!

I've always wanted to try one of the XA series Pass Labs amplifiers. Maybe you can review one of those without listening to it too! :cool:

gvl

Major Contributor
the used market price on this great amp has dropped like a rock

It is somewhat doubtful the majority of those who are shopping for this amp are reading ASR. On the contrary, massive bashing of certain products here didn't make a dent in their resale values, Schiit Yggdrasil is still going strong in the used market for example. Congrats on a good deal anyway.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Well, thank to this review, the used market price on this great amp has dropped like a rock.
Glad to hear prices are getting down where they belong and that we are doing a service for everyone.
Enjoy your new distortion control, it should sound very tubey and close to a 1959 Dynaco ST-70. This I believe was ARC's design goal from the start.
Happy Holidays.. ;)

Last edited:

Isotonic

It is somewhat doubtful the majority of those who are shopping for this amp are reading ASR. On the contrary, massive bashing of certain products here didn't make a dent in their resale values, Schiit Yggdrasil is still going strong in the used market for example. Congrats on a good deal anyway.
Quite the contrary. It is the most popular solid state amplifier ARC has ever made. Previously very robust market value with many fans. I bought it because I had heard it before and it immediately became one of my favorites. It is a phenomenal amp. Strong and musical.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Quite the contrary. It is the most popular solid state amplifier ARC has ever made. Previously very robust market value with many fans. I bought it because I had heard it before and it immediately became one of my favorites. It is a phenomenal amp. Strong and musical.

STRONG LIKE BULL!

Isotonic

Glad to hear prices are getting down where they belong and that we are doing a service for everyone.
Enjoy your new distortion control, it should sound very tubey and close to a 1959 Dynaco ST-70. This I believe was ARC's design goal from the start.
Happy Holidays.. ;)
Showing your ignorance again. The ARC house sound is the antithesis of "tubey warm" sound. I don't think you have an iota of understanding about what you talk about.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Showing your ignorance again. The ARC house sound is the antithesis of "tubey warm" sound. I don't think you have an iota of understanding about what you talk about.

Any actual evidence of the existence of "ARC house sound" beyond anecdote and PR? The amps of theirs I've tested sounded pretty much the same as any other amp as long as they weren't clipping.

Isotonic

They all sound different. The definition of a house sound is pretty self explanatory. It's obvious that you have never heard anything you have tested. I have heard many Audio Research amplifiers. Some I like, some not so much, but they still have a house sound.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
They all sound different. The definition of a house sound is pretty self explanatory. It's obvious that you have never heard anything you have tested. I have heard many Audio Research amplifiers. Some I like, some not so much, but they still have a house sound.

OK, so that would be a, "No, I have zero evidence," then.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Go back to the beginning and relive the measurements.
There is so much distortion and noise in the output of this amp that you don't get much power if you set your goal at 0.1% THD (likely threshold of audibility for some people).
The sins of low feedback factor stare at you in the face with our 4 ohm load:
They show the "voicing" that the design team worked on to give the 100.2 it's particular ARC house sound.
Yes, and not a good one. In the decade (1990s) that this amp was built, good amplifer design had alreay matured to the point that "most" decent solid state designs should and did sound alike. But for you to deny that the ARC sound isn't a tube sound is to ignore their output since William Z started out mod'ing ST 70s.
Your lying.
Let's remain civil please, stooping to name calling will do nothing to strengthen your case.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Your lying.

Your ignorance is now on full display. That kind of nonsense can stop now, or you can find another forum to troll.
Thanks.

D

Deleted member 2944

Gents, whether you believe it's valid or not, you can't question somebody else's subjective evaluation of product(s). Subjective evaluation is beyond discussion, by definition.
He may or may not be trolling you here, but you're responding with the ASR form of trolling.
This is where ASR gets off track on a tangent there's no need to go on.

Dave.

Last edited by a moderator:

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Gents, whether you believe it's valid or not, you can't question somebody else's subjective evaluation of product(s). Subjective evaluation is beyond discussion, by definition.
He may or may not be trolling you here, but you're responding with the ASR form of trolling.
This is where ASR gets off track on a tangent there's no need to go on.

Dave.

Damn. I come here to avoid this subjective, magical nonsense. Labeling something "beyond discussion" is arrogant and wrong. Indulging tommyrot is frankly cruel.

Top Bottom