• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Coffee, photography , other hobbies and the Audiophile mindset

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
ok, I don't understand why you would dilute a nice espresso with water?
Well that is what is done in Italy (and coffee shops here since a lot of them use Espresso machines too) to make the" long" coffee expected in the US.

Very few Italian coffee shops that I have been in have a filter machine so anybody wanting more liquid will get hot water put in a double Espresso to create it, same in my local coffee shop, milk will probably be offered to put in it as well. This is called anm Americano.
In Italy typically one would get a glass of cold water with the espresso for thirst quenching purposes.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And now this, I fitted a bafang mid drive motor and crankset to my cove hummer along with battery and thumb throttle as my legs are useless for anything more than standing up very briefly,
So sorry to hear about your MS, we have friends and family afflicted and it must be awful for someone active like yourself :(

jensgk

Forum Donor
It's the same thing for men across hobbies. I've seen it in synthesizers, hobby computing, bikes and now audiophiles:
The Gear Acquisition Syndrome ;) and The Feinschmecker Syndrome :cool:
We just can't help it..:D

nerdstrike

I propose that turkish coffee is analogous to tube amps.

Unlike audio, caffeine dependency further biases the consumer. I think you need to get into the 110+dB range before you get physiological effects in people, which I suppose is a bit like eating the whole bag of beans?

By the way, if anybody is interested, my company "BeanQuest" can ship high purity steam generators and creamers with real cream at a modest premium appropriate to the prestige of BeanQuest. ;)

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Scotland? And are you affiliated with the label Soma?

Yes Scotland, galloway to be precise and I know Stuart and Orde of Slam amongst others, possibly my fav record label, we used to put on dance/electronic events and festivals. really miss clubbing and dancing like a loon for hours at a time.

So sorry to hear about your MS

Cheers Frank, yeah its a bitch, I had so many plans but hey-ho......no point dwelling on what might have been (but I do have my raging moments for sure), also had to sell my mk2 golf track car as it became unsafe to drive with my condition which really pained me - now have a VW Tiguan dsg which is the most depressing vehicle to drive, quite how VW managed to make it so dull and uninspiring/uninvolving is quite an achievement considering its power.

It's the same thing for men across hobbies. I've seen it in synthesizers, hobby computing, bikes and now audiophiles:
The Gear Acquisition Syndrome ;) and The Feinschmecker Syndrome :cool:
We just can't help it..:D

Yeah, show me something to pique my interest and I'm all in

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Wow, I have been in Italy 40 or 50 times over the last 50 years (mostly north and central) and only ever had a glass of water served with an Espresso, never any milk.
Speaking of Italy, here's my 2006 Piaggio Fly 150. A bit of a collectors item since it was the last year they were made in Italy, after that they went to various Asian factories. :mad:
Can't depend on anything staying where it belongs any more. :(
IMG_2824.JPG

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I’m into coffee too. My wife got me a Jura machine a few years ago and I’ve been very happy with it. Before I used to make it using a French press mostly, or Turkish style.

I also love cars, and driving.

Freeway

I propose that turkish coffee is analogous to tube amps.
Unlike audio, caffeine dependency further biases the consumer. I think you need to get into the 110+dB range before you get physiological effects in people, which I suppose is a bit like eating the whole bag of beans?
;)

Came upon my brother-in-law standing over the stove stirring up a pot of coffee grounds at a good boil. He is from Turkey.
110+db for sure.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Came upon my brother-in-law standing over the stove stirring up a pot of coffee grounds at a good boil. He is from Turkey.
110+db for sure.
Precursor to a Meth lab. LOL

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
110+db for sure.
Not surprising.
There is a huge difference around the globe on what is considered the "right" way to make a "good" cup of coffee!
Travelling, it is one of the interesting experiences in different countries.
It seems to me people prefer what they have grown up with, though, so theirs is "real and best" wherever you go ;)

symphara

Not surprising.
There is a huge difference around the globe on what is considered the "right" way to make a "good" cup of coffee!
Travelling, it is one of the interesting experiences in different countries.
It seems to me people prefer what they have grown up with, though, so theirs is "real and best" wherever you go ;)
The best coffee I ever had was slowly brewed in a little pot, in a tray of hot sand. Hard to replicate at home

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
4 cup Mr Coffee machine, 4 tablespoons Folgers Classic Blend, 3 1/2 cups water.
Add Half & Half for light Boston Style brew. ;)

Pennyless Audiophile

Well that is what is done in Italy (and coffee shops here since a lot of them use Espresso machines too) to make the" long" coffee expected in the US.

Very few Italian coffee shops that I have been in have a filter machine so anybody wanting more liquid will get hot water put in a double Espresso to create it, same in my local coffee shop, milk will probably be offered to put in it as well. This is called anm Americano.
In Italy typically one would get a glass of cold water with the espresso for thirst quenching purposes.

It is definitely not an American coffee, even because the coffee being used is radically different, less green. It is a sort of compromise to quickly make something vaguely similar because few people in Italy ask for it. An American coffee machine will sit unused most of the time just using power.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is definitely not an American coffee, even because the coffee being used is radically different, less green. It is a sort of compromise to quickly make something vaguely similar because few people in Italy ask for it. An American coffee machine will sit unused most of the time just using power.
Exactly.
It is a bit split here between filter coffee likely to be offered in a restaurant, which will often have an Espresso maker as well nowadays, and a complete plethora of Espresso based drinks in coffee bars.

I actually don't like coffee very much and probably American coffee least - FWIW.

Pennyless Audiophile

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In Italy, when you are at home, often you do not use Espresso. Many have a home machine too, but the classic way is with a Caffettiera.
like this in the north https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bialetti-E...1&keywords=caffettiera&qid=1620989209&sr=8-13

or like this in the south https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ilsa-Neapo...=caffettiera+napoletana&qid=1620989254&sr=8-5

They work with different principles
I have a couple like north Italy one but rarely use them.
I drank a lot of coffee in my 20s less and less over the years unless abroad. Mainly tea at home.

symphara

In Italy, when you are at home, often you do not use Espresso. Many have a home machine too, but the classic way is with a Caffettiera.
like this in the north https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bialetti-E...1&keywords=caffettiera&qid=1620989209&sr=8-13

or like this in the south https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ilsa-Neapo...=caffettiera+napoletana&qid=1620989254&sr=8-5

They work with different principles

Edit: a video explaining the difference between the two (Italian with subtitles)
I had a friend who had one of these, made me a coffee, it was amazing. I fully endorse it.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
4 cup Mr Coffee machine, 4 tablespoons Folgers Classic Blend, 3 1/2 cups water.
Add Half & Half for light Boston Style brew. ;)

you left out the scrod

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom