• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audeze MM-100

Soharu

In a good or bad way? Any comps to other headphones? Thanks.

These were done by a user at Headfi - not exactly a professional but he has some equipment for it - I have the MM-100 myself and like them so far.

EDIT: These must be off as M50x doesn't measure like that so I deleted the graph

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The M50X measures nothing like that so the MM100 measurement says nothing.

isostasy

@Soharu Original post:

Here is a quick and dirty measurement using a Sonarworks measurement mic. I played pink noise through each ear cup, one at a time, and I had the headphones suspended in free air away from any surfaces. I moved the microphone around each ear cup, varying X/Y position and depth. These curves are a result of 200 averages each. The curves would surely change if the earcups could be sealed. I would ignore the accuracy below about 20Hz. Even below 100Hz gets iffy, since there is definitely handling noise from moving the mic. I also adjusted the overall curve Y positions to be 0dB at 1kHz as a reference point.

The driver similarity between Audeze L and R is very good! I was surprised to get a consistently odd result from the Audio Technicas, because they never sounded imbalanced to me. That peak between 100-300 Hz on the Audeze measurements matches the warm lower mid description I mentioned in my previous post. If I was a user scrolling this post, I might think that peak looks kind of offensive. While it's certainly present, It sounds more gentle than it looks.
(emphasis mine)

I can't think of a more useless way to measure a headphone :facepalm:. I cringe that they spent the time taking 400 total measurements when they could have made a half-decent flat-plate measurement in 2 minutes by sticking their sonarworks mic in a cardboard box.

I would kindly suggest you edit your post to remove the graph, I wouldn't usually say that but in this case it is so poorly done as to be completely misleading. No judgement on you, thank you for sharing what you initially thought was useful.

Kane1972

Seeing a couple of responses on other sites that these planars are very mid-centric. I got a pair and do definitely feel them being mid centric
Makes sense as it's the most important region to get right when mixing.

Soharu

@Soharu Original post:

(emphasis mine)

I can't think of a more useless way to measure a headphone :facepalm:. I cringe that they spent the time taking 400 total measurements when they could have made a half-decent flat-plate measurement in 2 minutes by sticking their sonarworks mic in a cardboard box.

I would kindly suggest you edit your post to remove the graph, I wouldn't usually say that but in this case it is so poorly done as to be completely misleading. No judgement on you, thank you for sharing what you initially thought was useful.

Graph removed!

squibble

Hey everyone, I'm coming from the Head-Fi forums. I see many people didn't appreciate my measurement method! Understandable - It was a quick/repeatable way for me to see the relative driver response compared to the ATH-M50X driver response. It was not meant to be an absolute frequency response using standardized measurement methods. (The 200-measurement average part is pretty fast. It was an FFT average with pink noise in Room EQ Wizard - not sine sweep after sine sweep. Haha)
I see how people could find my measurements misleading if my disclaimers were not taken into consideration.

THIS is a sine sweep measurement on a CrySound device that is meant for headphone production line testing. Again, it's likely not going to produce the same measurements as a calibrated GRAS/AP system, so I can't say if it's any more useful than the comparative pink noise test I did. Can anyone confirm if planar magnetic driver polarity is typically negative? That seems odd to me.

12169491.png

The flat-plate measurement thing sounds interesting. Wouldn't that be just as useless as a free air measurement without having some baseline reference of how most flat plate measurements look though? It seems to be adding in more variables whereas I saw the free air measurement as a way to remove as many variables as possible.

What is the typical flat plate mic depth? Flush with the plate surface? What about angle of the mic? What about the plate material's acoustic properties? What about the clamping force of the headphones? These are genuine questions so I could make something that will be useful to people.

Here are links to my original measurement posts for context.

Last edited:

Kane1972

This guy has done a series of MM100 reviews now, comparing them to other headphones he has.

Just subjective opinions but still pretty encouraging to me.

Here is the first one he did.

Joramun

Hey everyone, I'm coming from the Head-Fi forums. I see many people didn't appreciate my measurement method! Understandable - It was a quick/repeatable way for me to see the relative driver response compared to the ATH-M50X driver response. It was not meant to be an absolute frequency response using standardized measurement methods. (The 200-measurement average part is pretty fast. It was an FFT average with pink noise in Room EQ Wizard - not sine sweep after sine sweep. Haha)
I see how people could find my measurements misleading if my disclaimers were not taken into consideration.

THIS is a sine sweep measurement on a CrySound device that is meant for headphone production line testing. Again, it's likely not going to produce the same measurements as a calibrated GRAS/AP system, so I can't say if it's any more useful than the comparative pink noise test I did. Can anyone confirm if planar magnetic driver polarity is typically negative? That seems odd to me.

12169491.png

The flat-plate measurement thing sounds interesting. Wouldn't that be just as useless as a free air measurement without having some baseline reference of how most flat plate measurements look though? It seems to be adding in more variables whereas I saw the free air measurement as a way to remove as many variables as possible.

What is the typical flat plate mic depth? Flush with the plate surface? What about angle of the mic? What about the plate material's acoustic properties? What about the clamping force of the headphones? These are genuine questions so I could make something that will be useful to people.

Here are links to my original measurement posts for context.

Waiting on a reply to this post from someone more knowledgeable than me

squibble

Waiting on a reply to this post from someone more knowledgeable than me
Well, I forged ahead anyway. I had to send my previous Audeze MM-100s back to Audeze. There was some issue with the right driver intermittently dropping out.
I got the replacement pair today and tried the flat-plate measurement.

Maybe these measurements will be more useful to people. The free-air measurement matched my last pair very closely, and the new pair sounds similar to the old pair from what I can remember. Consistent manufacturing is nice! :D

MM-100 Average Flat Plate Response.png

ATH-M50X vs MM-100 Average Flat Plate Response.png

The image above is referenced to 1kHz. It's kind of hard to compare though, since so much more of the ATH-M50X curve is above the MM-100s. The one below is compensated a bit so the curves are matched at 1.6kHz. It's arbitrary, but I wanted to see the ATH-M50X curve dance around the MM-100 curve where possible.

ATH-M50X vs MM-100 Average Flat Plate Response 1,6kHz.png

Last edited:
OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I forged ahead anyway. I had to send my previous Audeze MM-100s back to Audeze. There was some issue with the right driver intermittently dropping out.
I got the replacement pair today and tried the flat-plate measurement.

Maybe these measurements will be more useful to people. The free-air measurement matched my last pair very closely, and the new pair sounds similar to the old pair from what I can remember. Consistent manufacturing is nice! :D

View attachment 318144

View attachment 318145
Would you happen have any other headphone references to compare to MM-100 measurements maybe? HD600 or 6XX?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Looks like a typical Audeze.

One driver being faulty already is a bad omen though.

squibble

Please send your new pair to Amir! :D
May I have at least a week with a functioning pair?! Lol

I'd love to see proper measurements of these! I tried some of Tyll's 30/300Hz square wave tests too, but it's hard to hold a mic, a block of foam, and headphones all at once. Maybe I'll rig something up at some point.

squibble

Looks like a typical Audeze.

One driver being faulty already is a bad omen though.
Yeah, that was a bummer. It seemed like a wire wasn't making full contact, or maybe there was an intermittent short somewhere. I could kind of squeeze the hinges on the ear cup and change the signal volume in that ear cup. Hopefully this pair doesn't crap out on me either, because I was sitting very still when the first pair got cranky.

squibble

Would you happen have any other headphone references to compare to MM-100 measurements maybe? HD600 or 6XX?
I only have HD280 Pros or HD380 Pros at my disposal, but the studio I'm going to this weekend has a pair of LCD-X and HD650S. I think I saw some Beyerdynamic DT something-or-others there too if that's of interest.

Last edited:

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It is like a much more affordable LCD5 that is mid centric. But Audeze drivers are very welcoming to EQ.

Soria Moria

As long as they are good for EQing (minimal resonances and low distortion) then they are good enough for me.

squibble

It is like a much more affordable LCD5 that is mid centric. But Audeze drivers are very welcoming to EQ.
As long as they are good for EQing (minimal resonances and low distortion) then they are good enough for me.
I tried some EQing today, and found the headphones to take the curve quite well! It's not too crazy with resonances, so a wide 4-6 dB dip in the mids plus some tiny 2 dB cuts here and there made them really pleasing to listen to.

Speaking of low distortion, I can't even get a proper distortion reading because the noise floor in my environment is too high. My hunch is that the THD is low enough.

Last edited:
Top Bottom