• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audeze MM-100

Wavez

Just a thought but the 3k peak could have been a request of MM, as that's an easy range to push too hot when mixing.

AryaStealth

Does anyone know how to convert the graphic measurments to AutoEQ csv frequency response profile?
I had my MM-100 unit measured by Sonarworks, here is the frequency response:
Audeze MM-100 fq.jpg

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Interestingly it has similar dips as the Caldera.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
similar as in what a lot of open planars do.
see: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...a-headphone-review.50016/page-29#post-1809810

The frequency may be slightly different but the overall depth and width of the peaks has more resemblance than most other planar headphones.
Fortunately this headphone is 10x cheaper ...

You need to not look below 200Hz as that's where there are differences in used target. It also appears as though the MM100 did not have a perfect seal on the fixture.
You may assume the 50Hz hump and drop off below that do not exist in reality (unless you wear glasses for instance) but is a straight line down to at least 10Hz.

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
similar as in what a lot of open planars do.
see: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...a-headphone-review.50016/page-29#post-1809810

The frequency may be slightly different but the overall depth and width of the peaks has more resemblance than most other planar headphones.
Fortunately this headphone is 10x cheaper ...

You need to not look below 200Hz as that's where there are differences in used target. It also appears as though the MM100 did not have a perfect seal on the fixture.
You may assume the 50Hz hump and drop off below that do not exist in reality (unless you wear glasses for instance) but is a straight line down to at least 10Hz.
I can not tell if they are indeed similar or just dips and bumps do look alike, but here is a graph from squig.link. Indeed Caldera's response seems to be similar in size and shape to that of other Audeze headphones, especially between 3K and 5K.

1702535611052.png

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Not only Audeze but also some hifiman (HE6, HE400i orig to name just 2)
While both the Caldera and Audeze have square drivers (Fostex does to) the Hifiman have round or egg shaped drivers and they do the same.
They also do something similar to this on my flatbed pinnaless fixture so it isn't a pinna/ear canal thing either but of course above 6kHz or so that starts to play a role.

Imsjry

Can anyone comment on how these actually sound or is that not allowed here?

pk500

Why would such a thing not be allowed here?
Because measurements usually are worshipped and studied around here far more than subjective listening impressions?

I can absolutely see why a newcomer to ASR may think that. I know I did in my early months here. I know better now, but it is kind of the vibe at times, agree or like or not.

poxymoron

Because measurements usually are worshipped and studied around here far more than subjective listening impressions?

I can absolutely see why a newcomer to ASR may think that. I know I did in my early months here. I know better now, but it is kind of the vibe at times, agree or like or not.
Fair enough but we're not talking about a transparent DAC, we're talking about headphones and I think most ASR members acknowledge that every headphone can sound different.

Moonhead

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Considering buying those Audeze mm 100 above, anyone listened to a pair yet?

AryaStealth

Considering buying those Audeze mm 100 above, anyone listened to a pair yet?
Nothing to write home about. Bizarre frequency response and poor sound stage. The driver/magnet speed is great, the pads are poorly/economically designed which resulted in a very uneven frequency response that probably only individual calibration with a couple of binaural microphones in your ears can salvage. Individual calibration by Sonarworks on a dummy head didn't help much in my case. So my pair of MM-100 is gathering dust.

Kane1972

Nothing to write home about. Bizarre frequency response and poor sound stage. The driver/magnet speed is great, the pads are poorly/economically designed which resulted in a very uneven frequency response that probably only individual calibration with a couple of binaural microphones in your ears can salvage. Individual calibration by Sonarworks on a dummy head didn't help much in my case. So my pair of MM-100 is gathering dust.
So why not sell them or trade them?

Somafunk

Major Contributor

Ahh that’s a real bummer, from looking at the frequency response I thought these would sound good?, especially as they’re touted for studio work. There’s a shop 50 miles away that’s getting the next production run in next month so I’ll try and have a listen from my Hiby R6 dap. Where are you in the world?, i guess the states?.

AryaStealth

So why not sell them or trade them?
I waited for Oratory's PEQ settings and afterwards just forgot about them. (I guess it means I have too many headphones). With latest Oratory's PEQ settings they sound OK (have more resolution than even very expensive dynamic headphones) if you listen at high volume about 75db and don't care too much about sound stage. Comfortwise they are also just OK/passable, not as bad as round Sundara, not as good as oval shaped expensive Hifiman headphones. MM in the name is just a clever marketing gimmick. Its frequency response, especially treble, is way too uneven for studio work (you can see it in Oratory's measurments).

Kane1972

I waited for Oratory's PEQ settings and afterwards just forgot about them. (I guess it means I have too many headphones). With latest Oratory's PEQ settings they sound OK (have more resolution than even very expensive dynamic headphones) if you listen at high volume about 75db and don't care too much about sound stage. Comfortwise they are also just OK/passable, not as bad as round Sundara, not as good as oval shaped expensive Hifiman headphones. MM in the name is just a clever marketing gimmick. Its frequency response, especially treble, is way too uneven for studio work (you can see it in Oratory's measurments).
When I'm mixing in headphones, I prefer ones that don't make things sounds too wide, because when panning instruments, as headphones separate left and right so much more than you would hear on speakers in a room (unless using software that tries to emulate that) it means I tend to not pan as wide as I should and thus the mixes will be pretty narrow compared to commercial releases when people listen back on their gear.

As for the high end issues, that does sound problematic and not heard that highlighted before by anyone.

Top Bottom