• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC speakers / Monitors

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
12" and -6dB at 22Hz, No DSP, no high pass for the speakers, 300W all for $6k? Wow

Last edited:

YSDR

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Is that good or bad ?
Bad!

1704979319971.png

1704979234375.png

$4,000.00

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
That ATC sub is to augment SCM40 speakers. For that purpose it is sufficient. If you need full range at 22Hz fundamental, even 18" driver can be too small. We are talking about different things here.
I just picked that one because I was familiar with it, and on price and specification, it's a clear winner.

I'm not knocking ATC, they clearly have a loyal following and I've no doubt they are very well built and long lasting. They've always been an expensive brand and they clearly aren't trying to compete on price.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
According to Dynaudio my 18s dual opposed sealed sub is only -3db at 16hz, dunno quite how true that is as I’ve not seen it reviewed/verified anywhere but I can confirm my large double glazed window can visibly vibrate rather alarmingly in the frame when playing music or movies with really low frequencies.

Last edited:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
According to Dynaudio my 18s dual opposed sealed sub is only -3db at 16hz, dunno quite how true that is
I wish we would stop quoting this effectively meaningless spec, it just propogating the companies marketing, without proper qualification it does not tell you how loud or low a sub will go.

(Not picking on you @Somafunk, we all do it)

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
According to Dynaudio my 18s dual opposed sealed sub is only -3db at 16hz, dunno quite how true that is as I’ve not seen it reviewed/verified anywhere but I can confirm my large double glazed window can visibly vibrate rather alarmingly in the frame when playing music or movies with really low frequencies.

This is my in room measurements, Dynaudio 18s + Neumann KH 150:

1704993467563.png

Seems to have no trouble getting down below 20Hz; although I don't know how accurate the UMIK-1 and REW are that low. Also, this is near-field, < 1.5m, in a fairly small room, so I don't have to push it that hard to get plenty of volume for me; performance may drop off considerably if it were in a larger room at higher volume.

goat76

Major Contributor

View attachment 341233

Seems to have no trouble getting down below 20Hz; although I don't know how accurate the UMIK-1 and REW are that low. Also, this is near-field, < 1.5m, in a fairly small room, so I don't have to push it that hard to get plenty of volume for me; performance may drop off considerably if it were in a larger room at higher volume.

I don't think you would see any change in that measurement if you swapped out your Dynaudio for the ATC subwoofer, as room gain most likely kicks in more or less depending on the placement of the subwoofer.

In my system, I have two old and relatively small REL subwoofers which I don't expect to have a very low extension if they were measured without any room gain, but still, they reach down to 20Hz before they lose a bit of energy in my room.

goat76

Major Contributor
I would love to listen to the ATC C4 subwoofer, I bet it sounds great and I wouldn't be surprised if it has very low distortion levels vs a lot of other subwoofers as that is something ATC sees as an important thing.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Any measurements to substantiate the very low distortion and group delay?
Keith

DSJR

Major Contributor
I just picked that one because I was familiar with it, and on price and specification, it's a clear winner.

I'm not knocking ATC, they clearly have a loyal following and I've no doubt they are very well built and long lasting. They've always been an expensive brand and they clearly aren't trying to compete on price.
You know, before the noughties, they weren't so expensive in the higher end domestic market at least. Not sure if they make them still, but the 20SL passive 'classic finish version' finished up 50% more expensive than inflation alone and without properly checking, I think the 50ASL and 100ASL are similarly hobbled pricewise on the domestic market. The need for huge studio monitors apparently started to shrink twenty odd years ago and this may have had something to do with it, as ATC contracted (but modernised) their manufacturing premises, the original factory as I knew it is now a garden centre last I looked.. It's marketing really i think, selling for the maximum the market will pay - and sadly, they're not alone in this either as I can thin of another speaker brand with a very healthy far eastern market also around 50% more expensive!!!

YSC

Major Contributor
You know, before the noughties, they weren't so expensive in the higher end domestic market at least. Not sure if they make them still, but the 20SL passive 'classic finish version' finished up 50% more expensive than inflation alone and without properly checking, I think the 50ASL and 100ASL are similarly hobbled pricewise on the domestic market. The need for huge studio monitors apparently started to shrink twenty odd years ago and this may have had something to do with it, as ATC contracted (but modernised) their manufacturing premises, the original factory as I knew it is now a garden centre last I looked.. It's marketing really i think, selling for the maximum the market will pay - and sadly, they're not alone in this either as I can thin of another speaker brand with a very healthy far eastern market also around 50% more expensive!!!
This really says a lot, I am not sure if studio demands a lot less main monitors since music industry seems to have grown in size throughout the decades. But personally, I don’t mind they are selling expensive if they are still SOTA with unmatched performance, and still, curious on how their sub measures in terms of distortion and group delay

dfuller

Major Contributor
I am not sure if studio demands a lot less main monitors
It does. There are fewer and fewer large commercial facilities, the kind that need big mains. No, most people aren't going bigger than KH420s or PMC 6-2s or ATC 50s these days - smaller spaces dictate more compact speakers.

YSC

Major Contributor
I don't think you would see any change in that measurement if you swapped out your Dynaudio for the ATC subwoofer, as room gain most likely kicks in more or less depending on the placement of the subwoofer.

In my system, I have two old and relatively small REL subwoofers which I don't expect to have a very low extension if they were measured without any room gain, but still, they reach down to 20Hz before they lose a bit of energy in my room.
It all depends on the roll off curve, when it differs in anechoic data, in room will differ also, and the dynaudio is a lot cheaper also.

View attachment 341233

interestingly it seems like you've correct the response up to 1.5khz, wouldn't EQing that high affect imaging center?

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
interestingly it seems like you've correct the response up to 1.5khz, wouldn't EQing that high affect imaging center?
Doesn't seem to. I'm measuring and applying EQ in stereo. The imaging seems really solid and well defined.

Top Bottom