• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC speakers / Monitors

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
They are good in the midrange because there is an awful lot of it.
Soffit mounted and in a fully treated room ATCs sound good but in domestic rooms not so much.
Keith

goat76

Major Contributor
Soffit mounted and in a fully treated room ATCs sound good but in domestic rooms not so much.
Keith

The only ATC speaker with an exaggerated midrange is the old model of SCM19, version 1 that Amir tested. Can you show measurements of other ATC speakers that look like that in the midrange?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
It’s not that the mid range is exaggerated it is simply because the bass and treble roll off, it is a pity there are no contemporary anechoic/klippel measurements for any ATC loudspeakers.
I fully understand that It is simply not in ATCs interest to send a pair for measurement, much more profitable to sell off the ‘myth’ than to see the speakers exposed for what they actually are.
Keith

Liya

The only ATC speaker with an exaggerated midrange is the old model of SCM19, version 1 that Amir tested. Can you show measurements of other ATC speakers that look like that in the midrange?
I am an ex onwer of SCM11, 19 (both curved) and SCM40A. I am also ex owner of Avi DM10 and DM12. I don't have measurements of ATCs but I've done some free field tests of Avi DM12. They are massively hyped in the mids, by as much as + 5db in 1kHz to 3kHz.
The SCM11 (with Electrocompaniet ECI-5 integrated and ATC SIA 2 integrated) and Avi 12 sound very similar. I run side by side tests. Then the SCM19 and 40A (next to SCM11) sound very similar in the mids. So I would say all three ATC's are mids heavy.

goat76

Major Contributor
It’s not that the mid range is exaggerated it is simply because the bass and treble roll off, it is a pity there are no contemporary anechoic/klippel measurements for any ATC loudspeakers.
I fully understand that It is simply not in ATCs interest to send a pair for measurement, much more profitable to sell off the ‘myth’ than to see the speakers exposed for what they actually are.
Keith

The good qualities of the ATC midrange remain when subwoofers are added to the system for extended low-end.

Below are the gated measurements of my ATC SCM40s. There are no treble roll-offs from their own manufactured HF driver and they use the same tweeter in all their speakers, well except that they use a higher-grade version of that for their professional studio line, which I doubt has a lesser extension than their consumer version.

1702901202062.jpeg

Liya

The good qualities of the ATC midrange remain when subwoofers are added to the system for extended low-end.
This is also my observation. The ATC benefit from a sub. Mids are just as hyped as without the sub, but with the sub the mids are less of a problem.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Below are the gated measurements of my ATC SCM40s. There are no treble roll-offs from their own manufactured HF driver and they use the same tweeter in all their speakers, well except that they use a higher-grade version of that for their professional studio line, which I doubt has a lesser extension than their consumer version.

View attachment 335147
Interesting can you post an in room measurement from your mlp?
Keith

goat76

Major Contributor
I am an ex onwer of SCM11, 19 (both curved) and SCM40A. I am also ex owner of Avi DM10 and DM12. I don't have measurements of ATCs but I've done some free field tests of Avi DM12. They are massively hyped in the mids, by as much as + 5db in 1kHz to 3kHz.
The SCM11 (with Electrocompaniet ECI-5 integrated and ATC SIA 2 integrated) and Avi 12 sound very similar. I run side by side tests. Then the SCM19 and 40A (next to SCM11) sound very similar in the mids. So I would say all three ATC's are mids heavy.

As you can see in the gated measurements of my SCM40s, they don't have a hyped midrange. As dfuller mentioned earlier, they are just "insanely detailed" in the midrange which may cause some people to think they are mid-forward sounding.
I'd be curious too but I can say this much, the ATCs I've used do a thing in the mids that the Dutches don't. They're not mid forward, not really - they're just insanely detailed. The Neumanns do something largely similar, I think it has something to do with an exceptionally low distortion mid driver.

boxerfan88

I’m even more surprised to see a 500Hz+ chart that some people who claim never draw any conclusions from a room measurement around 500 Hz and up.

Reactions: YSC

DSJR

Major Contributor
Keith
Bigger ones are fine Keith! Not all UK rooms want or need subterranean bass to upset neighbours ;) Interesting how the Neumanns may be closer in 'feel' to the bigger three way active ATCs and KH420s are little more than half the price of 100ASLs...

YSDR

An in-room response of a loudspeaker comes from the speaker plus the room, they are not separable, just need to be treated differently (pun intended) at different frequencies.

goat76

Major Contributor
Interesting can you post an in room measurement from your mlp?
Keith

Not exactly from the listening position, but I can show you the non-gated measurements from the same measurements. They are done at 140 centimeters from the speakers, my usual listening position is 204 centimeters away from the speakers. I don't use any EQ adjustments for this frequency range.

1702902418826.jpeg

Liya

Not exactly from the listening position, but I can show you the non-gated measurements from the same measurements. They are done at 140 centimeters from the speakers, my usual listening position is 204 centimeters away from the speakers. I don't use any EQ adjustments for this frequency range.

View attachment 335149
So around +6db from 800Hz to 1.3kHz

goat76

Major Contributor
So around +6db from 800Hz to 1.3kHz

Are you more interested in what a microphone picks up in-room than what is actually heard listening to the speakers?

From about 500 Hz and up it's the direct sound of the speakers that dominates what is heard by a human being, don’t make too hard conclusions from the in-room measurements, look at the frequency response of the speaker itself (gated or anechoic measurements).

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

View attachment 335149
If possible I would really like to see the measurements from your mlp 20-20kHz.
Keith

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Bigger ones are fine Keith! Not all UK rooms want or need subterranean bass to upset neighbours ;) Interesting how the Neumanns may be closer in 'feel' to the bigger three way active ATCs and KH420s are little more than half the price of 100ASLs...
I have lived with and directly compared their active 50s to both Kii, Dutch&Dutch , Mesanovic, Grimm, GGNTKT, the insanely detailed mid is just a myth, when you listen to other speakers for that supposed detail it is all there, in fact the cardioid designs allow you to hear more into the recording, and as has been mentioned if you are hearing the entire FR then perceptually the mids become less prominent.
Keith

Top Bottom