• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC speakers / Monitors

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I quite admire their steadfast refusal to innovate, I suppose there is no real reason why they can’t continue to make the exact same design for another fifty years as long as they can sell them.
Keith

YSDR

There are some development even from ATC, like their relative new, own developed tweeter, that replaced the previously used SEAS T25.

goat76

Major Contributor
There was one more issue with posted measurements of SCM100: when they assessed vertical dispersion, they only posted traces when microphone was ABOVE mid-range dome. But it is well known that ATC assumes that listener ears will be on mid-range axis or BELOW. I understand that this tower model is too short for common listener chair height, but I do not believe that ATC tuned tower speaker differently from stand mounted version of SCM100. What seems to be needed - add short speaker stands, similar to what was done for old B&W 800/802 models. I am sure someone like Sound Anchor will be happy to produce them.
For that reason, I have my ATC speakers backward tilted a little bit so that the midrange dome is pointing directly at ear level at the listening position, this is done by leveling the spikes under the speakers and a small adjustment of just about 3 degrees is enough for the job.

The adjustment makes an audible difference for me as my speakers are positioned fairly close at just 2,04 meters from meat the listening position, for longer distances it may not make a huge difference.

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
There are some development even from ATC, like their relative new, own developed tweeter, that replaced the previously used SEAS T25.
Their own tweeter, in fifty years well that’s alright then.
Keith

goat76

Major Contributor
Don't be so harsh, from the reports it's at least not worse than the 20€ one they were using before lol

Do you think ATC should search for more expensive components instead of going for the components that meet their performance target?

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Do you think ATC should search for more expensive components instead of going for the components that meet their performance target?
I don't think ATC should do anything, they do well enough for what they are and there's nothing more they can do for such conservative designs

goat76

Major Contributor
I don't think ATC should do anything, they do well enough for what they are and there's nothing more they can do for such conservative designs

I don't see the "conservative design" approach as a negative thing, quite the opposite actually as that helps with the important factor of being easily serviceable, which is high on the list for their main market.

Berlin

In-room measurements will look different from room to room, how did the gated measurements look like with your ATC speakers?
I just measured different pairs of speakers at the same location in my room...

DSJR

Major Contributor
Their own tweeter, in fifty years well that’s alright then.
Keith
Keith, can you PLEASE take off your 'dealer' hat for a moment? ATC appear to be a far smaller concern than they were 'in my day' and just maybe, the money is no longer there for hugely advanced new product development, no matter what their young designer chap wants. Billy's gone now so it remains to be seen how long they continue as they are. The 'new' 25A version looks interesting as the tweeter's been upgraded and the box is slightly taller when used sideways as intended. I don't know the previous one, so no idea how this new one compares with say, the KH310's which at least one person mentioned weren't too good on piano for some reason...

To @goat76 - Unless you sit a metre or so away, the angle of vertical spread (10 degrees or so?) should allow some reasonable listening height allowance, so no real need for tilting of the speakers - if they're passive 40's it really won't make a huge difference I'd have thought, for reasons discussed long ago. if you can accept the odd look of a speaker tilted back, then that's fine, but 3mm isn't much I have to say.

DSJR

Major Contributor
My pre SL 100A's were measured (one of them twice) in the space of four years or so and came out differently to that, the 'shape' basically flat but with an admitted triple-hump which was no more than 2dB on mine. Got to say I'd have liked mid and tweet level adjustments to help my cramped positioning situation, but like (hopefully) all good monitors, the quality of the bass didn't suffer apart from a slight lift, where overly porty 'BBC' designs boomed like eff in the same spot. The red grilles were fun (previous was red lacquer 20's with black grilles) but I had and subsequently fitted the stock black ones after a few garish months :D Shown are the custom stands which were 1.5" or so taller than the originals they came with, later dumped as nobody wanted them and we were moving and the new owner wanted the stock C type stands they came with :facepalm: :mad: F*CK I miss them!

ATC's 1993.jpg

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The good news is if you get another pair they will sound exactly the same.
Keith

goat76

Major Contributor
To @goat76 - Unless you sit a metre or so away, the angle of vertical spread (10 degrees or so?) should allow some reasonable listening height allowance, so no real need for tilting of the speakers - if they're passive 40's it really won't make a huge difference I'd have thought, for reasons discussed long ago. if you can accept the odd look of a speaker tilted back, then that's fine, but 3mm isn't much I have to say.
Whoops, I meant to write that my speakers are tilted with 3 degrees, not 3mm. I have changed that now in my previous post.

I didn't expect to hear a difference at all but it is clearly audible, believe it or not. The tilt can be seen but not enough to make look odd at all, and the relatively small change with 3 degrees makes a bigger difference at 2 meters away than what someone might initially think, and the midrange dome is now "beaming" at the ears instead of the chest.

I know, it probably seems a bit anal, but remember that I have a short listening distance and the room has some acoustic treatments, so with the high ratio of direct sound I got at the listening position, small changes like that are likely more easily heard. But it's obviously part of the fine-tuning. :)

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
Don't think it offers sufficient control for a smooth blend, to justify the increased C2C.
That's more on the tweeter being flat baffle, it matches it nicely enough down around the woofer/mid cross. On older versions ATC used the Seas T25CF-001 or similar as the tweeter, which has a deeper almost waveguide-like flange.

DSJR

Major Contributor
The good news is if you get another pair they will sound exactly the same.
Keith
No Keith, they'd sound better, as they cope with lower volumes without the sound collapsing into the boxes as they did then (they weren't designed for low level domestic volumes - they do it far better now).

Those days are long gone now and sadly confined to my history in my late single days, some very happy musical memories and a small pile of pictures. Got to deal with it, but after a lifetime, it's damned hard to all but give it up.

YSC

Major Contributor
That's more on the tweeter being flat baffle, it matches it nicely enough down around the woofer/mid cross. On older versions ATC used the Seas T25CF-001 or similar as the tweeter, which has a deeper almost waveguide-like flange.
smooth or not, we will ended up some nice data to support, there are plenty of speakers out there with a waveguide but merge horribly, and some with minimal waveguide/flange like Dyn LYD-5 and KRK PR5 G4 doing okish horizontal directivity, no data on the ATC design though

dfuller

Major Contributor
So, I have been lucky enough to hear ATCs in a Northward room today - when they're integrated correctly, ATCs are truly world class.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think any half decent speaker, even those as wonky as ATC, can sound good in a fully treated room with compensation for their frequency response anomalies... But in that case you're hearing a great room helping out an okay/average speaker.

Curious what measurements would show with an ATC studio vs a Genelec studio vs a Dutch & Dutch setup in a treated room. Maybe the differences would be small?

Doesn't seem like ATC has the engineering to keep up with the state of the art that moved on some time ago.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Curious what measurements would show with an ATC studio vs a Genelec studio vs a Dutch & Dutch setup in a treated room. Maybe the differences would be small?
I'd be curious too but I can say this much, the ATCs I've used do a thing in the mids that the Dutches don't. They're not mid forward, not really - they're just insanely detailed. The Neumanns do something largely similar, I think it has something to do with an exceptionally low distortion mid driver.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd be curious too but I can say this much, the ATCs I've used do a thing in the mids that the Dutches don't. They're not mid forward, not really - they're just insanely detailed. The Neumanns do something largely similar, I think it has something to do with an exceptionally low distortion mid driver.
Could it be that they are straight up boosted in the mids? Do you recall the model? Based on this from ASR for one of their bookshelves, it could be a simple case of boosted mids if their purposeful engineering issues bleed into their larger models.
1000009217.png

Top Bottom