• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC speakers / Monitors

dfuller

Major Contributor

Zaireeka

They seem to compare quite well against more modern measurement based speakers. Sorry if the link has been posted already...

In a nutshell less accurate more comfy.

Scholl

$4500 for a sub with an F6 of 22hz. That said, 110dB continuous isn't too bad. I'd like to see CTA-2010 results.
According to ATC spec sheet, it has an F6 of 22hz in half space. So +6dB of output compared to free field.

Since it is a sealed sub, it should have a -12dB/octave slope below the driver resonance frequency. The free field F6 should therefore be around half an octave above 22hz, which should be around 31hz (22hz *1.41). That is if we exclude the use of some form of a Linkwitz transform, which this sub probably uses like most sealed subs.

It is quite big for a 12" sealed sub (118L external enclosure volume), and quite expensive of course.

Last edited:

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like it performs like a REL subwoofer...

DSJR

Major Contributor
I'm going back decades now, but a chat with Billy Woodman was interesting (ATC launched a sub back then I remember). The US studios wanted more bass extension and also, a non audio project wanted it flat to 20Hz or so (if memory serves) and the good thing about the bass drivers ATC made is that they could be usefully eq'd for this at these frequencies without drastic distortion levels.

REL used to make two kinds of sub-woofer. the top models really did work well at low organ notes and venue 'atmosphere' but the cheap un-veneered ones were basically one-note LOUD thumpers for film explosions and so on. Perhaps these cheaper models are better now?

goat76

Major Contributor
They seem to compare quite well against more modern measurement based speakers. Sorry if the link has been posted already...

In a nutshell less accurate more comfy.
When watching that video the reaction from all three of them is like: “Okay, both the Grim and the Dutch and Dutch speakers got studio-like detailed sound”, and therefore they both got the pass of being more “accurate”, but they have obviously too much details.

To me, it’s obvious that they prefer the sound of the ATC’s, and that those speakers reproduce a more natural sound.

It’s just a ”tall tale” that you need to hear extreme details when mixing music. The speakers that sound more real and natural will also give you the more real and natural end-result, you simply don't need to hear more than that. :)

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
It really isn’t a question of extra ‘details’ although having said that the 8Cs ( cardioid.constant directivity etc) are clearer the ATCs are just a bit more coloured and their bass rolls off a lot more quickly than the other two which obviously emphasises the midrange.
Keith

Zaireeka

When watching that video the reaction from all three of them is like: “Okay, both the Grim and the Dutch and Dutch speakers got studio-like detailed sound”, and therefore they both got the pass of being more “accurate”, but they have obviously too much details.

To me, it’s obvious that they prefer the sound of the ATC’s, and that those speakers reproduce a more natural sound.

It’s just a ”tall tale” that you need to hear extreme details when mixing music. The speakers that sound more real and natural will also give you the more real and natural end-result, you simply don't need to hear more than that. :)
I personnally enjoy that my speakers let me hear a maximum of those details. To me that's a real and natural sound.

goat76

Major Contributor
I personnally enjoy that my speakers let me hear a maximum of those details. To me that's a real and natural sound.
I can assure you there’s no lack of details from ATC SCM40. If these speakers had more details it would be over the top, there's nothing more you need to hear if you use them for mixing.

lherrm

What is "too much details" ? Does the speaker create by itself informations that are not in the recording ?
Or is it that the speaker reproduces more details (by not "hiding" them) than the other, and for what reason wouldn't it be good ?

YSC

Major Contributor
I can assure you there’s no lack of details from ATC SCM40. If these speakers had more details it would be over the top, there's nothing more you need to hear if you use them for mixing.
when it rolls off the highs, it's lacking the highs detail as in it's not true to what is recorded. Sure the details are still there but in a fainted way, but that's not what is meant by not lacking.

It mutes the highs and lows for quite a bit, so if one do mixing with it will boost those frequencies, so in anything that is true to the source will sound harsh and too bright.

goat76

Major Contributor
What is "too much details" ? Does the speaker create by itself informations that are not in the recording ?
Or is it that the speaker reproduces more details (by not "hiding" them) than the other, and for what reason wouldn't it be good ?
No, a speaker can’t create more details but it can give you too much energy in the upper frequencies in the listening position.

The ATC SCM40 are not hiding any details, they are highly revealing speakers.

YSC

Major Contributor
No, a speaker can’t create more details but it can give you too much energy in the upper frequencies in the listening position.

The ATC SCM40 are not hiding any details, they are highly revealing speakers.

well, the Dutch and Dutch are found to have in room listening position measurements being textbook perfect as of natural/real as in the recording itself, so how would it be "give you too much energy in the upper frequencies in the listening position"??

the ATC might be neutral or maybe not where I don't have a definitive answer, but from the available few measurements they don't really looked like they are flat anechoically nor really even handed, so in my understanding it's producing too much energy in here and there by itself, and there's no such thing as "it's magically tuned to fix the room reflection defects so your listening position will be perfect but not the real flat speakers", everybody's room or even studio won't have exact same reflection etc, so by no way the ATC could magically design a non DSP or having something like DIRAC to fix the room issue just by magical natural tuning signature

Zaireeka

I think treble level and amount of detail shouldn't be confused. I love hearing a lot of things all over the stereo panorama but I also use GLM to reduce the high frequency content with an high-shelf filter.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
well, the Dutch and Dutch are found to have in room listening position measurements being textbook perfect as of natural/real as in the recording itself, so how would it be "give you too much energy in the upper frequencies in the listening position"??

the ATC might be neutral or maybe not where I don't have a definitive answer, but from the available few measurements they don't really looked like they are flat anechoically nor really even handed, so in my understanding it's producing too much energy in here and there by itself, and there's no such thing as "it's magically tuned to fix the room reflection defects so your listening position will be perfect but not the real flat speakers", everybody's room or even studio won't have exact same reflection etc, so by no way the ATC could magically design a non DSP or having something like DIRAC to fix the room issue just by magical natural tuning signature
Not really Erins in room measurements show there is higher energy in the highs vs the mids.

goat76

Major Contributor
when it rolls off the highs, it's lacking the highs detail as in it's not true to what is recorded. Sure the details are still there but in a fainted way, but that's not what is meant by not lacking.

It mutes the highs and lows for quite a bit, so if one do mixing with it will boost those frequencies, so in anything that is true to the source will sound harsh and too bright.
I don't know if you have experience with music production, but I can tell you that ATC speakers works very well for that application.

The most important aspects is that the mixer feel comfortable with the sound and have a good knowledge of how good reference recordings sound on the speakers. No matter how extremely detailed the sound is from the system/speakers, it’s a risk that the mix will end up having a wacky balance if no reference material is used now and then for re-calibrating what is heard.

In short: If the mixing engineer finds his speaker has a good balance (no matter of balanced) listening to good reference material, the result will also be a well-balanced mix.

Top Bottom