• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ASR MEMBERS: What System Would YOU Choose To Blow Away Non-Audiophiles?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wasn't sure how to phrase the thread title but...

I was re-visiting a couple ASR threads discussing some articles about audiophiles and high end audio. I'm sure many remember the discussions of this article:

Audiophilia and its discontents

And

The New York Times visit Ojas:

I think the main annoyance with such articles is this: Here we are with some big magazines deigning to write articles about high end audio, and what do we get? A focus on all sorts of goofy retro gear, tube amps and the like. Another missed opportunity to describe where audio actually is now, the advances available, e.g. powered speakers, DSP etc.

So my question is:

If you had the power to have an article written, in which the author and other non-audiophiles were introduced to high end audio, AND were given listening experiences to see what it's all about, to impress them: what type of gear would you talk about and want to demonstrate?

Cost is no object, dream up whatever system you'd think would wow the subjects and demonstrate what can be done. So it's your chance to represent High End Audio in an article, what do you choose?

8bits

I would bring them to a SOTA Atmos/Spatial audio mixing studio
or
Anechoic chamber with 2 systems, one pair of SOTA speakers and a normie big chain big name pair of speakers for comparison

Keith_W

Major Contributor
For non-audiophiles, I would emphasize volume (lots of it), surround sound, and bass ... because all that is impressive.

I think they have a different set of priorities to us. We want low distortion, good spatial reproduction, even frequency response with no peaks and as few dips as possible. Untrained listeners don't know how to listen for this. A setup with panel speakers won't impress, even if they possess all the characteristics we value.

MarkS

Major Contributor
I don't think there is a one-size-fits-all answer here. I would want to interview the person I was trying to impress, find out what kind of music they like, what's important to them (if anything) if the sound they currently get, etc etc etc.

And the vast majority of people are perfectly happy with sound thet we would all think is awful, and hance are essentially unimpressable.

Waxx

Major Contributor
Big JBL's always work for that. They are impressive looking, powerfull and good sounding in any way. Maybe add a few subs for deep bass and better room integration and dsp to tune everything, and you're done.

A JBL 4367 or M2 based setup with a few subs, MiniDSP and Purifi based amps in nice cases would be perfect.

OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
i have not met a casual music listener who would appreciate the qualitative difference between dutch 8c and bose boozpods or whatever. i think it’s because they listen to music, not equipment. actually, I fault myself for sometimes losing sight of that.

Really? Every casual music listener, or “non-audiophile” who has listened to my systems over the years has been blown away. Even the typical “oh I don t know anything about this stuff and probably won’t be able to hear a difference” types. I know I’m far from alone.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My system combined with room correction works fine in that aspect. Some of them (non audiophiles) are looking behind the speakers wondering were the sound comes from.
But none of them where eager to buy such equipment.:facepalm:

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top end Genelecs with dual sub, and all the room EQ they can dish out.

Combined with a Wiim pro connected digitally.

Same (just more of it) if you want multichannel, but then apple music and apple TV as the delivery into surround processor.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I would bring them to a SOTA Atmos/Spatial audio mixing studio
Ditto
A JBL 4367 or M2 based setup with a few subs, MiniDSP and Purifi based amps in nice cases would be perfect.
Or a well configured home based Atmos/Spatial system built around above speaker systems

Waxx

Major Contributor
Ditto

Or a well configured home based Atmos/Spatial system built around above speaker systems
I would not, as many find it for music very artificial sounding. People are not used to that kind of sound for music. And second, the atmos music libary is very limited in titles, lacking a lot of music i and my friends would like...

For HT, Atmos is great, but not for music. At least not in my and many opinions...

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Something full-range and room corrected that everyone could easily use and enjoy that switched at the touch of a button between music and TV.
Keith

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi
in a typical hotel room say 6 x 4 x 3 meters. (LxWxH)

At the risk of tooting my own horn ...

1 x Denon AVR-X3800
2 x JBL LSR 308
2 X SVS PB-1000
1 x Audyssey MultEQ-X software
That could be less than $3000.... total..

Throw in almost anything this side of what we can identify as High-End,
say a pair of LS3/5A or HEA-equivalent or which there are several (and equally bad sounding :)), Price for speakers, must be $3000.oo,
Some typical (read expensive) HEA integrated amplifier with, at least , again, $3000... but, up to $10K,
Typical "entry-level" audiophile DAC/streamer, something >$2000, say a BS Audio...
Get the cables, again "entry level" HEA, Say some Audioquest or Synergistic research..
Make sure the total equipment expenditure is at least $20,000.oo,...

For the audition, Dim the lights so that the equipment are not seen. Invite audiophiles and non-audiophiles alike and ...

Peace....

P.S

jools

Forum Donor
Really? Every casual music listener, or “non-audiophile” who has listened to my systems over the years has been blown away. Even the typical “oh I don t know anything about this stuff and probably won’t be able to hear a difference” types. I know I’m far from alone.
Maybe I've never had a good enough system but I've generally found people to like what they're used to and resistant to change - whether what they're used to is an all-in-one system, earpods or (bit more controversially) vinyl.

DavidEdwinAston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Get off Matt! They've only said that to be polite! And you know it. :cool:

Top Bottom