• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ask me questions.

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
It's not a competitive product and we struggle to make it that. MX3s is something more balanced. We have some thoughts on all in one amps but it's simply difficult and hard to make it truly great.
Tnanks for your answer. I'll consider MX3s instead of MX5.

abc1234

1, 정말 아무것도. 고객이 구매할 수 있도록 케이블로 제공하는 것입니다. 그들은 좋은 품질의 케이블이지만 확실히 필요하지는 않습니다.
2, U90에 내장되어 있습니다. 그러나 대부분의 상황에서는 필요하지 않습니다. 또한 무엇을 하든(또는 USB 아이솔레이터 또는 컨디셔너) 어떤 식으로든 신호를 저하시킵니다. 단일 종단 시스템에서 접지 루프 문제가 있는 매우 특정한 문제를 해결합니다. 접지 루프가 없고 균형 잡힌 연결을 사용하는 경우에는 필요하지 않습니다. 또한 비용이 많이 들고 칩을 조달하기가 어렵습니다. 특정 제품이 100달러 상승하면 경쟁 우위를 잃게 됩니다.
3, 어떤 식으로든 편리합니다. 나는 개인적으로 pa7의 팟을 내가 듣고 싶은 가장 큰 소리(예: 10시)로 설정했습니다. 필요한 경우 DAC 또는 전화를 사용하여 볼륨을 더 낮추십시오.
이렇게 하면 팝, 클릭, 노이즈가 줄어들고 실수로 dac 등에서 볼륨을 최대로 올렸을 때 손상될 가능성이 없어집니다. L70을 프리앰프로 사용하는 것은 좋고 유익하지만 반드시 필요한 것은 아닙니다. 결국 어떤 식으로든 편리함을 느낍니다.
4, 예. 끝까지 돌리지 마십시오. 그러면 모두 좋습니다.

1, Nothing really. It's just what we provide as cables for customers to buy. They are good quality cables but definitely not needed.
2, It's built in U90. But it's not needed in majority of situations. Also no matter what you do it(or any usb isolator or conditioner) degrades signal in some way. It solves a very specific problem where you have ground loop issue with single ended system. It's not needed if you don't have ground loop and you use balanced connections. It's also costly and chips are hard to source. If it drives up a certain product 100 dollars it loses some competitive benefit.
3, Any way that's convenient. I personally set the pot on pa7 to the loudest that I want to listen to(eg 10 o'clock). And use dac or phone to attenuate volume further if needed.
This way it reduces pops, clicks, noise, and eliminates the chance of damaging anything when accidentally max the volume on dac or anything. Using L70 as preamp is good and beneficial but not necessary. In the end any way you feel convenient.
4, Yes. Just don't turn all the way up then it's all good.
@JohnYang1997
Thank you for reply. I have more questions.

1. What DAC digital filters(ex. fast linear roll off...)are provided by default with the product? Is it recommended by the chip manufacturer? Or is it a topping recommendation?

2.What is your personal favorite digital filter?

3.When I use the L70 as a preamplifier, if the volume value difference between the headphone output and the preamplifier is large (for example, the headphone volume value is -50db, but the preamplifier is -0db), the headphone makes a popping sound when switching the output. So my ears hurt.
Is this normal in terms of product structure?

Will Toppping develop a usb digital interface ('U90 II') with volume knob, for monitors with digital inputs such as genelec, neumann, hedd, dynaudio ?

unpluggged

Will Toppping develop a usb digital interface ('U90 II') with volume knob, for monitors with digital inputs such as genelec, neumann, hedd, dynaudio ?
You need DSP for that.

ferite

Hi @JohnYang1997 . All in all, would you recommend purchasing a LA90 discrete, and return it if there is a problem, or I better wait for a LA90 Discrete Mk2 with fixes?

Trell

Major Contributor
Hi @JohnYang1997 . All in all, would you recommend purchasing a LA90 discrete, and return it if there is a problem, or I better wait for a LA90 Discrete Mk2 with fixes?
What kind of answer do you expect with such a general question to any manufacturer? Most manufacturers are quite tight lipped about any new versions until they release it.

Given a more specific issue some manufacturers might very well recommend to wait for a new version, depending.

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi @JohnYang1997,

Thank you for taking the time to answer questions here!
Two questions if I may, sorry if these were already addressed.

Has there been a shift in focus towards reliability and durability over pure measured performance now that (1) good (enough) performance is now a given for both DACs and amps, and (2) bad experience from previous designs have been reported? I ask this because I am very tempted by your new TP power amp, for both mid/high duties in an active system and small stereo systems. I'd love to know extra care has been taken to ensure that it does not destroy my speakers and drivers in case of failure, or if its volume setting get reset.

Second question, maybe a bit far fetched: do you have any plan for a current loudspeaker amp (transconductance, high output impedance)?
I bet people running full-range driver would love such a product (even if a bit of EQ would probably serve them better there), but for me the most interesting use is in active systems, as current drive does drastically reduce the distortion measured at the driver (which is orders of magnitude higher than the one measured at the amp, let alone the dac).
Having a variable/tunable output impedance would be even better in order to be able to damp the driver at Fs with a low impedance, and then go high impedance for the rest of the range.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Thank you for answering our myriad questions. I have but one request. Your remote controls put out a weak IR signal and are highly directional. My extensive Topping stack, sits across the room from my main listening position. There may be unknown benefits from contorting my frame to activate various features, using the included RC, but I'm not as flexible as I once was. Please consider improving them.

It's not rocket science and Topping could do it if they cared.

High output IR LEDs, several of them and driven hard (so a full sized remote with decent AAA or AA batteries, not just a CR20xx), along with sensibly placed, good quality IR receivers- not buried too deep or poorly aligned behind a front panel.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Remember to take care of yourself and enjoy your free time. I loved servicing mechatronics and I became a workaholic As a example I worked 74 hours per week one year and the next year I worked 72 hours per week on average. At the end I was burnt out for sure. I'll never do that again. It's very unhealthy. I still have the scar on my forehead where I fainted from over-exertion and hit my head on a bathroom sink. So don't repeat that if you can and take time off regularly. :D You only get to be young once and burning up all that energy on work is not the optimum situation I think.
+100!

In my 30ies I worked up to 16h per day over several months to develop software for our first totally digital controlled NMR spectrometer (it was illegal according to the law which limits workhours to 10 per day, but I didn't knew it). When the job was done I requested a week off for free (meaning payed). My boss looked estranged and mumbled something like "this is a first" but when I mentioned that if I would request the full time of overwork it would be much more he agreed instantly :cool:.

I used this week to recover and "refill the depleted storages" of body and mind.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
+100!

In my 30ies I worked up to 16h per day over several months to develop software for our first totally digital controlled NMR spectrometer (it was illegal according to the law which limits workhours to 10 per day, but I didn't knew it). When the job was done I requested a week off for free (meaning payed). My boss looked estranged and mumbled something like "this is a first" but when I mentioned that if I would request the full time of overwork it would be much more he agreed instantly :cool:.

I used this week to recover and "refill the depleted storages" of body and mind.
Yes, extended work days can go against the labor laws. I had a signed agreement that I could work extended hours. I simply had nothing else that I wanted to be doing at the time and banked nearly 4 years of work in 2 years. :D My boss (A close friend.) was concerned about my mental health and shut it down...LoL.

Last edited:

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
+100!

Depends, were you awarded a bonus that compensated those intense weeks? If not, then you should of told your manager, you are not a non-for-profit charity.

DACslut

Mr. Yang,

Thank you for answering our myriad questions. I have but one request. Your remote controls put out a weak IR signal and are highly directional. My extensive Topping stack, sits across the room from my main listening position. There may be unknown benefits from contorting my frame to activate various features, using the included RC, but I'm not as flexible as I once was. Please consider improving them.
I will NEVER buy another Topping product that has a remote. I bought a TOPPING E70 Velvet DAC and the remote absolutely sucks! My old SABAJ D5's remote works great. Also, the D5 actually sounds much better than the E70V too. I did a clean swap to the E70V and it sounds cold/lifeless compared to the D5. Worst remote controlled DAC purchase I ever made.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I will NEVER buy another Topping product that has a remote. I bought a TOPPING E70 Velvet DAC and the remote absolutely sucks! My old SABAJ D5's remote works great. Also, the D5 actually sounds much better than the E70V too. I did a clean swap to the E70V and it sounds cold/lifeless compared to the D5. Worst remote controlled DAC purchase I ever made.
For the price of how much Topping costs, I think it's not a big deal when you can just buy a WiFi phone remote for $25 and control everything in your rack.

This is what I have, after I got this I put all of my remotes in a box and in storage: https://a.co/d/72LcSVD

Edit: and welcome to the 21st century.

Trell

Major Contributor
For the price of how much Topping costs, I think it's not a big deal when you can just buy a WiFi phone remote for $25 and control everything in your rack.

This is what I have, after I got this I put all of my remotes in a box and in storage: https://a.co/d/72LcSVD

Edit: and welcome to the 21st century.

The phone remotes are awful compared to a real remote.

Trell

Major Contributor
The one in the link that I shared works flawlessly for me. I have two of them. One for my system up stairs and one for my main system. I controll all of my components with one app on my phone.
It’s the lack of physical buttons that’s my problem with a mobile phone as a remote.

I do have a Logitech universal remote but physical buttons are needed for common usage. Too bad that Logitech exited the remote business.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s the lack of physical buttons that’s my problem with a mobile phone as a remote.

I do have a Logitech universal remote but physical buttons are needed for common usage. Too bad that Logitech exited the remote business.
Gotcha. I'm sure there's plenty of other universal remotes out there that will suffice.

Btw, Logitech got out precisely because of these really cheap phone remote solutions.

PaperBoat

I don't like HQplayer. Difficult to use, -3db at least full scale. Jriver is honestly better in all practical sense. And even foobar itself is good enough.
So I mostly just use files generated by Jriver or directly use Foobar to convert dsd on the fly.
As I've been suggested by some knowledgeable that I should give up my DSD (DSD = *Don't Submit Dat* in ASR) concerns and stick to the PCM (PCM= *Post it Countless and Meaningless* in ASR) instead. But if you have the time, I would like to ask something related to PCM to DSD Upsampling. I'm currently using JRiver to upsample my huge PCM collection to Native 4xDSD on the fly to feed my IFI Zen V2 DAC which is hooked up with a pair of JBL 305p MKii monitors sitting in my lounge. Is there any good reason to upgrade to the HQPlayer for its various quality PCM to DSD Upsample filters/modulators? Is JRiver DSD encoding that bad?

Top Bottom