• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ascend CBM-170 SE Speaker Review

I find that intelligibility in small rooms is typically impacted by nearby reflections, which can be helped with a speaker with narrower dispersion. You may find that an active monitor with a large waveguide like the LSR 308 or 306 or 305 or the Kali LP 6-8 would help more. As you may have noticed, simply increasing treble doesn't help clarity very much.

The 'shape' of the speaker's dispersion has a lot to do with clarity, more than simply how loud the treble and mids and bass are, and the Ascend speakers here are not fundamentally that different from the Snells - maybe a bit better due to the smaller woofer, but a waveguide is best for a small room.
When I said I have a similar HT system using Missions, it's the same AVR etc in a much larger room. Do you have any passive speaker recommendations?
I do like the sound of the Kef LS50 Metas based on YT listening tests of many speakers, if that's a clue to my sound preference.

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning

jsilvela

It sounds "detailed" to be sure but will give you a shave if you let it.
I had been using a CBM 170 as a center channel, vertically placed.
Recently I was doing some A/B tests with other speakers. Only the center channel on. A mono test, as Amir recommends.
Tremendous sibilance in speech with the CBM-170 compared with the others.
That "shave" comment smarted!! Fair.

JonCr

Does that mean you wouldn’t recommend the CBM 170 as a center channel? I had been considering one as a center as a bookshelf fits my setup better than a horizontal center.

jsilvela

Does that mean you wouldn’t recommend the CBM 170 as a center channel? I had been considering one as a center as a bookshelf fits my setup better than a horizontal center.
Well, hard to say. One thing Amir comments is that in a stereo or multi-channel setup, individual speaker shortcomings are less evident.
I used the CBM 170 as center a while, and I guess I got used to it.
Recently I decided to use a bookshelf speaker for a desktop mono setup.
I used the CBM 170 initially. Then I switched to one little Yamaha that came with a mini-hifi system that was my first system, in the 2000's.
And, the Yamaha was significantly less fatiguing... and also more compact and better looking.

But I don't see many bookshelf speakers sold individually.
Have you considered getting a stereo pair and using just one?
Alternatively, using a MTM center speaker and placing it vertically? Amir had this impressive review of a center he recommended to place vertically https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...v123-x-cs-encore-center-speaker-review.40156/

EDIT: no, this one was the MTM with a good review if used vertically https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/jbl-stage-125c-review-center-speaker.28613/

Last edited:

JLGF1

not sure what the woofer is (looks to be a well damped cone of some kind), vifa/peerless sub-20 dollar tweeter.

Original woofer strongly resembles a Hi-Vi variant.
The Audax [ed. not Vifa/Peerless] tweeter was Gen-1 (SEAS for Gen-2/SE).

I replaced both with SB-Acoustics drivers and encountered a remarkable improvement to my ears.

Side note: "made in the USA", in this context, means foreign components, with (presumably) USA made xover, assembled in the USA.

Last edited:

JLGF1

My mistake on the Audax; I keep thinking it was a Vifa/Peerless. I stand corrected and you can calm down now, Dave.

No, I missed your 170 post on AVS where we were discussing the Sierra-1. Thanks for the Sierra-1 Klippel measurements. Are you thinking of measuring the CBM-170?

I'm not clear how you came to the conclusion that I am "disparaging" your company? Because I point out where the Gen-1 drivers might be improved? If that weren't the case there wouldn't have been evolving generations of Ascend speakers would there? Such as a replacement for the "revered" Audax tweeter to produce the 170-SE (SEAS tweeter) and the Sierra-2 SEAS Curve woofers being supplanted by other SEAS models, etc. when the EX appeared?

As far as looking foolish, the 170 received a poor review (ie not recommended) at ASR despite the marketing hype. That has nothing to do with me. That was where the "Made in USA" was mentioned several times by others (see post #1). I'm not allowed to clarify that?

CBM-170 not a benchmark not accurate.jpg
CBM-170 score.jpg

Last edited:

JLGF1

Correct, I did post that I replaced one pair of original CBM-170 tweeters (left) with the SEAS tweeters (right).

With the other 170 pair, I replaced the tweeters with an SB-Acoustics model where the dispersion improvement was much better than I anticipated (as their reviews stated).

Audax vs SEAS.jpg

Beave

Major Contributor
When you're changing tweeters on these speakers, how are you making the necessary crossover changes to accommodate the new part (with different sensitiity, impedance, etc)?

JLGF1

It's been established elsewhere that he isn't....

Actually, it hasn't. When I was swarmed over at AVS by the g-squad (someone else's characterization by PM) I never indicated that. So, please speak for yourself.

xovers.jpg

Last edited:

JLGF1

to accommodate the new part (with different sensitiity, impedance,
Assuming you mean sensitivity, all of those parameters are on the driver's spec sheet.

Are you aware that Madisound will build custom xovers for the drivers they sell? Apparently, TW-2022 is not.

SEAS  twitter specs.jpg

Last edited:

AdamG

Enjoy the Music your way…
Forum Donor
Let’s all put down the Coffee and take a few deep breaths and not be so abrasive with our fellow ASR members.

Please and thank you for your support and cooperation.

Beave

Major Contributor
Assuming you mean sensitivity, all of those parameters are on the driver's spec sheet.

Are you aware that Madisound will build custom xovers for the drivers they sell? Apparently, TW-2022 is not.

View attachment 326171

So you provided them with dimensions of the baffle? What crossover frequency and slope/order did you request, or did they decide that?

Did you also adjust the LPF crossover on the midwoofer to make sure the there aren't any phase problems between the two drivers in the crossover region?

AscendDF

Audio Company
Actually, it hasn't. When I was swarmed over at AVS by the g-squad (someone else's characterization by PM) I never indicated that. So, please speak for yourself.

View attachment 326190

Those crossovers are not from Madisound, those are our Sierra-2EX crossovers. Are you attempting to use these crossovers in your CBM-170? :confused:

AscendDF

Audio Company

View attachment 326171

A crossover can never be designed based on driver specifications. Proper crossover design requires a complete anechoic frequency response measurement of each individual driver within the cabinet they are being used in, as well as full impedance measurement and phase.

JLGF1

Those crossovers are not from Madisound, those are our Sierra-2EX crossovers. Are you attempting to use these crossovers in your CBM-170? :confused:

No, I used those to upgrade my Sierra-1's. There's more than one way to buy crossovers and I didn't acquire those from Madisound (obviously). I just wanted to assuage those losing sleep over my xover issue. The open hostility is not appreciated, not a good look, and hopefully will not be tolerated at ASR like it is other places.

JLGF1

A crossover can never be designed based on driver specifications. Proper crossover design requires a complete anechoic frequency response measurement of each individual driver within the cabinet they are being used in, as well as full impedance measurement and phase.

Thanks, but I really wasn't asking for opinions. And as you can imagine, I'm sorry I even brought it up. AFAIK, no one is being forced to do the same.

Top Bottom