• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are you using a subwoofer/subwoofers?

Are you using a subwoofer in your system?

• Total voters

Adaboy4z

I recently purchased a Kef kube 12b for a 2.1 system. I love deep rumblings for movies and electronica music. I also found a like new Episode Evo6-200 sub for $40 at a local pawn shop. That little 6 inch sub is feature rich and musical. Both connected to my amp I swap back and forth.

gfx_1

I added a sub to my desktop system. I was sometimes missing some bass with some songs. It is a PreSonus Temblor T10 the case is 16mm board a bit thinner than the desktop/bookshelf style speakers. But the sound volume is dialed down pretty low to blend in with the rest which are at ear level so usually not really loud playing. It comes with an external on/off switch useful when youtube car videos add to much rumble.

The surround set by the TV are without sub, the mains go pretty low 10" woofers in a transmission line.

The cats like to use it as step to desk and the windowsill for sunbathing.

carewser

I have 12 subwoofers so I doubt anyone here has more subwoofers than me although "only" 10 of them are hooked up. In fact i'm sure most stereo shops don't have 12 different subwoofers which is why, after posting pictures of my setup on reddit, people have suggested i'm mentally ill

carewser

I use one to relieve the amp and front mains of the heavy lifting but I've never really liked the sound of subs.
They sound boomy to me. So I've got the sub volume turned somewhat down and minimum low end extension.
Wow, bizarre

My experience is exactly the opposite, subs fill out an otherwise sorely incomplete sonic picture

Last edited:

wacomme

I voted no, but I'm thinking about a sub. I've recently gone from AudioEngine A2 desktop speakers from my Mac to adding a dac (SMSL DO100) and a headphone amp (just for headphones - Topping L50), and then to Adam T5V monitors, and now to some decent EQing using REW. It's been a vast improvement in sound, but where do I stop? I really don't want to spend much money right now for even better sound . . . but I'm alway curious. What can I do on the cheap? Can I get by with one subwoofer in the corner of a 11' x 11' room? If so, what's an inexpensive subwoofer for music that would pair well with my Adams? I then I need an amp, I suppose. Since I've had ground noise issues in the past, I'd prefer to keep balanced connections. What's inexpensive and reasonable? I have the room measurements and EQ filtering covered.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I'm running 2 Outlaw Ultra X-13s in extended mode, on the side walls, with Phil3s as Mains (BMR Monitors as Center and Surround). Multipurpose rig but mainly for Music, especially multi-channel music.
(Rears are also Philharmonic Audio, the older Mini Phil design with Raal and Zaph 5." (Some of the DTS discs I have are for Rear Center instead of Front Center which gets parsed to the Stereo Rears.))
I cross at 80. I get a better response in the Mids and Highs than if I cross any lower.

I listen to Pipe Organ and Electronica. Not exclusively. I play every now and again with turning off Audyssey and running Pure Direct. It is surprising the amount of content that a Subwoofer assists with. Even Cowboy Junkies or Buddy Guy.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The question is not if you are using subwoofers, the question should be why aren't you?
Because my speakers go down more than most subwoofers on the market reach.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
The question is not if you are using subwoofers, the question should be why aren't you?
Sadly, I can't like this 71 more times. :p

Which is to say:

THIS!
:)

I was struggling up front when I was putting my rig together because I knew the Phils were solid into the mid 20s. On top of that, the TL Bass is really nice. But there is nothing worse than hearing your Speakers struggle because you are tasking them with extending beyond their range. My Subs can play 16Hz. Not those Revelators.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Because my speakers go down more than most subwoofers on the market reach.
Then use subwoofers that give you subsonics!!! :D

You have the listening area and the knowledge to get one of those washing machine, demolition hammer type subsonic woofers. Your neightbours might hate you, but your system is awesome. ;)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I voted no, but I'm thinking about a sub. I've recently gone from AudioEngine A2 desktop speakers from my Mac to adding a dac (SMSL DO100) and a headphone amp (just for headphones - Topping L50), and then to Adam T5V monitors, and now to some decent EQing using REW. It's been a vast improvement in sound, but where do I stop? I really don't want to spend much money right now for even better sound . . . but I'm alway curious. What can I do on the cheap? Can I get by with one subwoofer in the corner of a 11' x 11' room? If so, what's an inexpensive subwoofer for music that would pair well with my Adams? I then I need an amp, I suppose. Since I've had ground noise issues in the past, I'd prefer to keep balanced connections. What's inexpensive and reasonable? I have the room measurements and EQ filtering covered.

You could try a Presonus Sub8. It has balanced inputs and outputs (you'd connect it in-line, between your DAC and TV5;s), it's working well with my MTMs and is relatively cheap.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
What source has those subsonics?
Films mostly. The start of Edge of Tomorrow has become the standard to test them. Horror is a genre that also includes subsonics very often.

For music, I have listened to some Lord's of Acid music that contains them.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Films mostly. The start of Edge of Tomorrow has become the standard to test them.

For music, I have listened to some Lord's of Acid music that contains them.
I don't care if I miss the room shaking effect in a film (LFE means Low Frequency Effect). If you want to shake the room use shakers.

There are no musical instruments that generate sound below 20Hz.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I don't care if I miss the room shaking effect in a film (LFE means Low Frequency Effect). If you want to shake the room use shakers.

Some do, like certain brass instruments, but the amount is very small. Some pipe organs produce them and the effect in a old gothic building is quite awesome.

Good subsonics do not rattle the room, they rattle you. They have that amazing capacity to generate a sense of a presence that blasts on your chest without anything audible.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

Except for synthesizers and samplers - and of course pipe organs with a 32' rank of pipes.

Last edited:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Except for synthesizers and samplers - and of course pipe organs with a 32' rank of pipes.
In the natural world, infrasonics are the way to check for earthquakes. Reproducing the sound that reaches you before the ground tears apart is a very cool thing to experience.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In the natural world, infrasonics are the way to check for earthquakes. Reproducing the sound that reaches you before the ground tears apart is a very cool thing to experience.
Not necessarily music though...

Top Bottom