• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are SVS subs over-rated?

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
How do you know about the low-end distortion and group delay? Is this something that you can back up with measurements? I have heard that the DSP in some (mainly the new 'pro' series causes delay.
Group Delay and DSP delay are two entirely different things.

You have a hard situation... Australia is a rough place for good Bass, it seems. ;)

I would have a very difficult time looking at any sub under $1000 as capable of delivering clean and linear Bass output, and that's here in the US. Again, Infrasonic output is an absolute must in my book. :cool:

OP
N

NewbieAudiophileExpert

Audioholics have an very good in-depth test of sealed vs ported svs with extensive measurements.

I haven't heard HSU or seen any detailed measurements for them.

You end up with cancellations and peaks ie uneven in room response. This is reduced with using a high pass filter.

What is your budget and how many subs were you planning on using?
My budget? Mate i spent too much already, although i think that my home theatre sounds fantastic.

I have one SVS SB1000 which i'd paid $650 for with the RRP being $1200.

This sub it totally fine and i enjoy it very much - I just wonder if it's actually worth the $1200 AUD RRP brand new.. to be fair even a 12 inch yamaha costs about $600 brand new.

Where would the high pass filter be placed, anyway? Between the sub and AVR/Amp?

Group Delay and DSP delay are two entirely different things.

You have a hard situation... Australia is a rough place for good Bass, it seems. ;)

I would have a very difficult time looking at any sub under $1000 as capable of delivering clean and linear Bass output, and that's here in the US. Again, Infrasonic output is an absolute must in my book. :cool:
Although the argument is that you can 'feel it', you can't really hear infrasonic bass.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
SVS is a good reliable sub, they may not be the best or the best value at given sizes/price points. Their customer service package in the US at least is awesome, hard to match. They are increasingly available outside the US. All good things for subs. Especially compared to Rel (just don't see any value in Rel offerings, they're not even particularly pleasing aesthetically).

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My budget? Mate i spent too much already, although i think that my home theatre sounds fantastic.

This sub it totally fine and i enjoy it very much - I just wonder if it's actually worth the $1200 AUD RRP brand new.. to be fair even a 12 inch yamaha costs about $600 brand new.

Where would the high pass filter be placed, anyway? Between the sub and AVR/Amp?

Although the argument is that you can 'feel it', you can't really hear infrasonic bass.
Hi pass is just using the avr's rca output and crossing over the output of lower bass in the avr settings... You've got a decent sub, don't let yourself get talked down the rabbit hole... Ryno is just pointing out that entry level subs aren't up to his standards.. He's got a bigger budget than some of us...

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
SVS subs are widely available in many sizes, work well, and have OK pricing. Those 3 things are important. Rythmik subs are great for example, but they're not widely available, so you can't even recommend them without checking that the person is in the US first.

Same reason you see Neumann and Genelec recommended widely, but not M.E. Geithain or other niche brands with weak distribution.

The idea that there is some huge quality difference between subs is also inaccurate. Most sealed subs or larger ported subs from any known manufacturer are going to perform similarly within the same size class. The differences are smaller than speakers because subs are honestly just simpler to build. Because low bass is omnidirectional and easily played by a single driver.
Exactly right. Properly designed 12" sealed subs with plate amps and low pass filters are all going to sound extremely similar if properly designed and executed. SVS differentiates itself on customer service, freight cost, and price. They are a great value with great customer support, extremely important considerations when buying something that costs over $700 and weighs over 50 lbs apiece.

DamianW

In that case for your budget and at $650 the SB1000 is unbeatable in terms of value for money.

I was going to suggest a Richter Thor MKV or M&K X12 as an alternative depending on your budget.

tw 2022

SVS is a good reliable sub, they may not be the best or the best value at given sizes/price points. Their customer service package in the US at least is awesome, hard to match. They are increasingly available outside the US. All good things for subs. Especially compared to Rel (just don't see any value in Rel offerings, they're not even particularly pleasing aesthetically).
You nailed it.. Svs entry level stuff is plenty good vs other entry level stuff...

DamianW

Exactly right. Properly designed 12" sealed subs with plate amps and low pass filters are all going to sound extremely similar if properly designed and executed. SVS differentiates itself on customer service, freight cost, and price. They are a great value with great customer support, extremely important considerations when buying something that costs over $700 and weighs over 50 lbs apiece.

Add SVS famous very high reliability as well.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Add SVS famous very high reliability as well.
And even when not, they're quick to fix at the most convenience to the consumer....at least in the US, suspect overseas it doesn't quite work that way.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In that case for your budget and at $650 the SB1000 is unbeatable in terms of value for money.

I was going to suggest a Richter Thor MKV or M&K X12 as an alternative depending on your budget.
But why just get the SB? Specific reasons?

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Hi pass is just using the avr's rca output and crossing over the output of lower bass in the avr settings... You've got a decent sub, don't let yourself get talked down the rabbit hole... Ryno is just pointing out that entry level subs aren't up to his standards.. He's got a bigger budget than some of us...
Ha.
I don't have a bigger budget, per se.
But I am willing to put money where it needs to be spent to meet my goal.
Where some may have loot for the RELs and Magicos, I sure as hell do not, and I would never even recommending spending that for a Sub unless you know d@mn good and well what you are getting. I'd rather save up and buy a couple SI HS24s or comparable from Harbottle to get that bass itch scratched for good!

Mind, my Outlaw X-13s do very well and I have no complaints there.

tw 2022

Ha.
I don't have a bigger budget, per se.
But I am willing to put money where it needs to be spent to meet my goal.
Where some may have loot for the RELs and Magicos, I sure as hell do not, and I would never even recommending spending that for a Sub unless you know d@mn good and well what you are getting. I'd rather save up and buy a couple SI HS24s or comparable from Harbottle to get that bass itch scratched for good!

Mind, my Outlaw X-13s do very well and I have no complaints there.
Lol.. Your budget is outta my league..but in all seriousness, you are correct.. Imo it's about putting resources in the right places.. Bmr's and a good sub is money well spent...

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
NAE said he already has the SB1000 and paid a bargin price of just over half the RRP.

I would struggle to build a sub DIY that would be as good for $650 AUD.
Not familiar with the acronym NAE....

If he already has the same sub then two makes more sense....thanks. I've built subs for far less that destroy those SVS entry level subs.....but time isn't free and my finishing skills aren't particularly WAF friendly :)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They replaced my plate amp about as quickly as i reported it to them...
Yeah that kind of stuff tends to go over well.... FWIW there have been a fair number of such failures, so they're not exempt from the issue....didn't put them out of business like it did Epik, eh?

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Lol.. Your budget is outta my league..but in all seriousness, you are correct.. Imo it's about putting resources in the right places.. Bmr's and a good sub is money well spent...
That's where I started... BMRs and two good Subs. X-13s on Black Friday sale, $1K, each, shipped.

I've added since starting with BMRs at mains. And I'm working on building some new Subs with SI SQL15s.

DamianW

Not familiar with the acronym NAE....

If he already has the same sub then two makes more sense....thanks. I've built subs for far less that destroy those SVS entry level subs.....but time isn't free and my finishing skills aren't particularly WAF friendly :)
NAE = NewbieAudiophileExpert

That is impressive I wouldn't be able to buy a good driver, amp and the materials to make the enclosure in one offs for $650AUD that would destroy a SB1000.

For the rrp of $1200 certainly but not at $650 AUD.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
NAE = NewbieAudiophileExpert

That is impressive I wouldn't be able to buy a good driver, amp and the materials to make the enclosure in one offs for $650AUD that would destroy a SB1000.

For the rrp of $1200 certainly but not at $650 AUD.

LOL that would take me almost forever to decode! You guys down under seem to be particularly strapped audio wise. You need to start a good one!

Reactions: SMc
Top Bottom