• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are Magnetically Attracted Banana Plug Tips Undesirable?

DACslut

The tips themselves aren't magnetic, however they're definitely attracted to one. The rest of the banana plug where the wire is secured is NOT ferromagnetic. The plugs were also marketed as being "gold plated" and I acquired them off the 'zon a year or two ago. They also still look shiny and brand new. I did a quick google on the subject but didn't really find an answer. Sorry for the crappy enlarged pic.Thanks.

1627683474368.png

Last edited:

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The tips themselves aren't magnetic, however they're definitely attracted to one. The rest of the banana plug where the wire is secured is NOT ferromagnetic. The plugs were also marketed as being "gold plated" and I acquired them off the 'zon a year or two ago. They also still look shiny and brand new. I did a quick google on the subject but didn't really find an answer. Thanks.
Maybe they have some nickel? I wouldn't worry if they seem OK otherwise.

OP
D

DACslut

Maybe they have some nickel? I wouldn't worry if they seem OK otherwise.

Thanks for replying. I swear I read on some other audio-related forum to avoid those type of plugs after I'd already bought them. Can't recall the reason(s) why, however. Probably some "snake oil" rationale anyway.

After looking at them more closely, I wasn't too fond of how the wire gets secured to the plug and just ordered a better looking type of banana. I had some Micca brand speaker cables with a faulty banana plug connection and waited too long to return them. I'm just gonna cut the old plugs off and put on new ones, but not the ones I already had laying around. Love their RB42 speakers but can't recommend their speaker cables.

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The tips themselves aren't magnetic, however they're definitely attracted to one. The rest of the banana plug where the wire is secured is NOT ferromagnetic. The plugs were also marketed as being "gold plated" and I acquired them off the 'zon a year or two ago. They also still look shiny and brand new. I did a quick google on the subject but didn't really find an answer. Sorry for the crappy enlarged pic.Thanks.

View attachment 144556

Those spring petals are usually made of steel. Its needed for tension and durability. The degradation to sound is extremely minor, you can try screwing wires directly to you amp and speaker. You would be hard pressed to hear any differences.

OP
D

DACslut

Those spring petals are usually made of steel. Its needed for tension and durability. The degradation to sound is extremely minor, you can try screwing wires directly to you amp and speaker. You would be hard pressed to hear any differences.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I've got other retail speaker cables with no banana plug magnetic properies whatsoever. After briefly considering things, I've decided to move on from any magnetic concerns. I would go the bare wire route, but that's not practical for me because I'm always playing musical chairs with my equipment, pun intended.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
My favorite is the people who fret about magnetic connectors or leads or whatever, but use tubes (full of magnetic materials) and transformers (even moreso). It's all superstition as I think you've figured out.

OP
D

DACslut

You give the impression of being a general skeptic, "proof is in the pudding" type of individual. That's really fine by me, I just don't like being told something is bullshit that I believe to be otherwise, based on my own actual experiences, whether perceived or not. I don't think I'm alone in that respect. To each his own (opinion wise) is a good practice for me, and hopefully others, to abide by. I'm not trying to get preachy here or otherwise philosophical on anybody, just trying to explain things from my perspective.

I've had a Sabaj D5 DAC + headphone amplifier in my audio arsenal for a while now, at the moment it's boxed up while I figure out some things like equipment evaluations, placements, etc. There's a couple of curious things about that DAC that I'm sure have a simple scientific explanation. The first one is the mfg recommends a ten or twenty minute (can't remember exactly which) warm-up period before listening. I think when Amir reviewed it, he mentioned something about it also. I've heard of that obligatory warm-up procedure with tubes but not solid states. The other thing is when I use my 10 AWG power cord it runs cool. When I use an 18 or 16 AWG cord, it's runs at least 3 to maybe 5 degrees warmer. You wouldn't think a power cord's AWG would cause a DAC to fluctuate it's operating temperature like that, would you?

Raindog123

Major Contributor
The other thing is when I use my 10 AWG power cord it runs cool. When I use an 18 or 16 AWG cord, it's runs at least 3 to maybe 5 degrees warmer. You wouldn't think a power cord's AWG would cause a DAC to fluctuate it's operating temperature like that, would you?

If the gauge of your 6’ power cord affects the temperature of your DAC by 5 degrees, you’re certainly in trouble. I would call the ghostbusters immediately, as your DAC is most definitely possessed!

As for the subject question, magnetic - most probably steel - banana connectors, gold plated, are absolutely fine. And will not affect the electrical signal‘s waveform and thus the resulting sound quality at all.

Last edited:
OP
D

DACslut

If the gauge of your 6’ power cord affects the temperature of your DAC by 5 degrees, you’re certainly in trouble. I would call the ghostbusters immediately, as your DAC is most definitely possessed!

Ya, there's something goofy going on there with the power cord's AWG having an effect on it's operating temperatures. That's why I only use the 10 AWG cord on it now. Keeps it cool and God forbid it might even sound a little better with it, lol. ;) :facepalm:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
You give the impression of being a general skeptic, "proof is in the pudding" type of individual. That's really fine by me, I just don't like being told something is bullshit that I believe to be otherwise, based on my own actual experiences, whether perceived or not. I don't think I'm alone in that respect.

This is a science forum. If you don't like being told your evidence-free extraordinary claims are bullshit, this is probably not the place to make them.

Scientists (at least good scientists!) are interested in knowing what actually IS true, not what they feel ought to be true. Here's a delightful essay from arguably the best scientist of the 20th century which nicely explains things.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Ya, there's something goofy going on there with the power cord's AWG having an effect on it's operating temperatures.

Or your ability to conduct a valid experiment. When you're ready to actually do it right, you'll find plenty of help.

egellings

Major Contributor
The tips need to be made of a springy material to insure a tight fit in the receptacle. Be-Cu is expensive and of course Be is poisonous, so spring steel makes sense. The tiny path length makes any added resistance from spring steel too microscopic to worry about.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've never been tempted to test magnetic properties of banana plugs....personally, seems a waste of time/effort/concern.

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
Bit late, but is the thread title a euphemism?

Top Bottom