• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple's new M1 Mac Mini as source (misses out on silent operation)

OP
mononoaware

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Headless M1 Mac Mini Setup:
Firstly signed in with Apple ID since this was required for the iOS iTunes remote App, then spent a lot of time un-syncing iCloud and deleting all traces of what was synced.
Just left “Find my” on, then updated to Big Sur (this took longer than I expected, maybe I’m spoiled with the speed of iOS updates).
After the update finished I turned on “automatically update” (under System preferences>Software update) and checked every box (“auto install updates” etc).

Then after configuring some “Apple Music”(previously iTunes) application preferences (disable auto-add/convert to iTunes folder etc), I proceeded with “Migration” using hard-wire Ethernet cable following Apple’s instructions.
On Windows I moved just the audio archive folder to the empty “Videos” user folder so nothing extra was slowing the transfer.
(Migration only gives you the main user folder options, you cannot go into sub folders and select them).
One thing I noticed though was the countdown (around 30 mins) didn’t change at all, but it finished in around 15 mins (80MB per second transfer speed according to Migration).

I thought Migration would save me from having to copy twice (like you would with external drive) but turns out every time you use ”Migration” it creates a new Mac user account and you have to go through the process of “sharing” the files to the main “Apple ID” account and changing the read & write permissions of the folder to “everyone”.
Actually I had to copy 3 times: Windows>Mac(1)>share folder(2)>music folder(3).
Hopefully the last 2 times it just changed the directory instead of actually “copying” the files.
I then deleted what was in the shared folder and deleted the extra account.
After migration was finished I turned on the Security&privacy>built-in Firewall.

After dragging the folder into Apple Music which was quick and painless, I created playlists identical to that I had with iTunes on the windows machine.
This took a few hours, mainly because I create a playlist for every other album with tracks omitted.
Next plugged in the DAC via USB, turned on the DAC and switched it to USB input.
Mac recognised it, then I went into Utilities>Audio MIDI setup and set desired sample rate.
Interestingly 32-bit is greyed out, so that’s the only bit-depth choice with “Core Audio”.
Played back some content to make sure it was working.

Now for the next hurdle: iTunes remote iOS App (Connecting iOS remote to Mac).
Had trouble trying to connect using the “Manual” option which Apple Support website recommends to do for the first time.
After researching and troubleshooting, I got it to work by enabling “Home sharing” (under SystemPreferences>Sharing>media sharing), and tapping on the “Home sharing” connection method of iOS iTunes remote App screen.
This allowed it to connect straight away and control local playback on the Mac.
Before going headless I set the Mac to Users&groups>auto-login, Security&privacy>require password to never and added “Apple Music” as a log-in item (auto-open after login).
I tested it quickly and it works and the HDMI virtual dummy plug is arriving later today.

I think I covered everything, there are a few things I could have done better but this was my first time using a Mac so it required a lot of back and forth to look up “where is _____”, “what is the equivalent of Windows _____ on Mac” etc.

I will give another update after some extended use.

Last edited:

Palamedes

I recently also purchased an M1 to use as a Roon core and Plex server. If you are having problems with greyed out bitrate and sample options in audio midi setup, these can be overcome by attaching an appropriately specced audio interface.

There are, however, further problems with the M1 in this regard, in that, if you use Apple Music, you must manually set in Audio midi setup the appropriate bit/sample rate for each relevant track—the M1 doesn’t do this automatically (!) This problem can be overcome, e.g., by using Roon in exclusive mode.

OP
mononoaware

mononoaware

if you use Apple Music, you must manually set in Audio midi setup the appropriate bit/sample rate for each relevant track—the M1 doesn’t do this automatically (!)

Thanks but my files are relatively simple all 44.1khz, 48khz files.
I just set it to a constant sample rate of 48khz is convenient, also prevents any popping issues due to DAC changing sample rate between audio files.

I understand some users will like to have bit-perfect output everything between 44.1khz-192khz etc, and JRiver Media Center + JRemote iOS App should be able to do that for local files.

Palamedes

Thanks but my files are relatively simple all 44.1khz, 48khz files.
I just set it to a constant sample rate of 48khz is convenient, also prevents any popping issues due to DAC changing sample rate between audio files.

I understand some users will like to have bit-perfect output everything between 44.1khz-192khz etc, and JRiver Media Center + JRemote iOS App should be able to do that for local files.

Ah, ok. I just thought I’d mention this problem as it was one which plagued me for about a week. Enjoy your new M1!

OP
mononoaware

mononoaware

Ah, ok. I just thought I’d mention this problem as it was one which plagued me for about a week. Enjoy your new M1!

Yes I will try to share my experience so those who think similarly to add M1 Mac Mini to their audio system can be informed.

Old Listener

Thank you for your reply.
I will be using it only for playing audio (lossless) and file sharing.
Should be fine then.

I've been using an M1 Mac mini for almost 3 months as my general purpose desktop computer. I have never heard any fan noise from it from a distance of 18 inches. I play audio files, stream video, do large files copies to/from the SSD and run lots of software at the same time.

In comparison, large file copies on Intel NUCs to/from the SSD always caused the fan to get noisy.

Before taking the plunge on using a Mac mini for headless operation, be sure you understand how to set it up for headers operation. I looked briefly and thought that getting past the login step required more knowledge. Using an M1 Mac Air instead of a Mac mini would make things much easier.

I've used headless Intel NUCs running Windows 8.1 for audio playback for several years. (Win 10 is hopeless for headless operation.) I worked out the setup details to get through normal everyday use but when some kind of glitch came up, I had to move the headless PC to my home office and connect it to a monitor, keyboard and mouse to troubleshoot the problem. That gets old.

OP
mononoaware

mononoaware

I looked briefly and thought that getting past the login step required more knowledge.

Yes I mentioned it in some previous posts, but in order for it to function smoothly while headless: File vault must be kept “off”, auto-login enabled, with require password from sleep set to “never”.
This way the iOS iTunes remote App wakes the M1 Mac Mini any time.
Still in early stages of use so I may mention some adjustments in future.

but when some kind of glitch came up, I had to move the headless PC to my home office and connect it to a monitor, keyboard and mouse to troubleshoot the problem. That gets old.

This is how come I decided to go with a Mac, since I assume things are better integrated and the device will automatically maintain itself better than a Windows computer.
1 - was fully automatic updates in the background, 2 - was seamless operation using headless with remote (I thought Apple integration would be more stable than Windows equivalent which may require troubleshooting with peripherals attached once in awhile like you mentioned)

OP
mononoaware

mononoaware

Some Pros and Cons:
Any tips or comments from others using Mac Mini as headless music player are appreciated.

Pros:
- M1 Mac Mini’s fan is silent in operation as mentioned by others
- Extremely reliable responsive operation (audio playback control)
- iTunes remote App is quicker than using AirPlay, just open the App and the library shows, tap it and the playlists appear.
- Also I prefer the remotes playlist view to the “Music” App, each row is shorter (it is a bit bland but more playlists visible at one time on the screen, I prefer more information than flashy appearance).
- “Now playing” screen looks just like the Music App (without the changing background color) shows album art and track info etc.

Cons:
- M1 Mac Mini’s indicator light is always fully on when powered on/sleep/standby and only turns off when shut down.
- force shutdown with power button hold could cause issues (one method for soft shutdown is plug in keyboard then “Control-Option-Command-Power button”)
- It would be nice if they could add more functions to power button (2 quick presses = sleep, 3 quick presses = shutdown etc).
- EQ cannot be controlled from iOS Remote App, not even EQ on or off.
- Occasionally in the iOS iTunes Remote App the album-art shows the previously played album art instead of current file (I think it happens when the “next” file has no album art).
- Also when waking iPhone after screen is “off”, the Remote App glitches for half a second before bringing up the last screen (like it is re-connecting to Music Library, even though the “Stay-connected” App option is on.
(This is not really a issue just observation)

Questions for Mac Mini users:
-
does status light blink when Mac is auto updating?
- if Mac Mini is already in sleep, is it safe to force shutdown by holding power button for 5 seconds?

Last edited:

carlob

Forum Donor
If you have another Mac use screen sharing so you can control the Mini from the other Mac. If you have a pc install a VNC client to do the same.
It does not blick when updating, but if it is installing an OS update it will restart. There is no reason to shut it down, sleep uses very little power and a forced shutdown does no good to the system. You can use a vnc client to remote control it and shut it down.

You can also telnet or ssh into the mini and shut it down.

Last edited:
OP
mononoaware

mononoaware

If you have another Mac use screen sharing so you can control the Mini from the other Mac. If you have a pc install a VNC client to do the same.

This is my first, so only Mac.
I looked into the VNC client option (PC) and it seems like quite a difficult setup just to achieve proper “shutdown”.

I will try the voice activated (Hey Siri + Shortcuts App) shutdown method first.

If only iOS had a built-in “Mac Remote” like it does the “Apple TV Remote” in control center.

carlob

Forum Donor
I looked into the VNC client option (PC) and it seems like quite a difficult setup just to achieve proper “shutdown”.

I would not call it "a quite difficult setup", google a guide to vnc into a mac and follow it, it's a matter of installing a client and a couple of settings nothing difficult. I'm not really a Windows person but maybe win 10 comes with a vnc client preinstalled? Not sure.

OP
mononoaware

mononoaware

I would not call it "a quite difficult setup", google a guide to vnc into a mac and follow it, it's a matter of installing a client and a couple of settings nothing difficult. I'm not really a Windows person but maybe win 10 comes with a vnc client preinstalled? Not sure.

I forgot to mention another method I just discovered, which is to just plug in a keyboard and use the “Control-Option-Command-Power button” shortcut which will “Quit all apps, then shut down your Mac.” which makes more sense to me.

I will only need to shutdown the Mac Mini to update the Music archive, which requires taking it to the main computer room in order to plug it into the monitor.
So if shutting down around every 6 months or so I think the keyboard method will work.

OP
mononoaware

mononoaware

carlob

Forum Donor
why would you plug the thing into a monitor if you can vnc into it and you have the mini desktop on your computer. I have an headless mini (actually I had many headless mini) and never ever had to plug them into anything except for the very first time.

Look at the screenshot, that is my laptop right now I have the mac mini desktop in a window.

Screenshot 2021-06-12 at 18.28.59.png

OP
mononoaware

mononoaware

why would you plug the thing into a monitor if you can vnc into it and you have the mini desktop on your computer. I have an headless mini (actually I had many headless mini) and never ever had to plug them into anything except for the very first time.

View attachment 135226

I would like to keep the Mac’s features activated and processes to a minimum.
I even scrapped the Hey Siri idea now since I would rather not turning Siri on and using the Shortcuts App.
Maybe I am old fashioned and not tech-savvy but physically using the keyboard to shutdown, and physically moving the Mac Mini when updating archive sounds good to me.

Thanks for answering my question though, so force shutdown = not good.

OP
mononoaware

mononoaware

ok I give up

You answered one of my questions though I appreciate it.

“- if Mac Mini is already in sleep, is it safe to force shutdown by holding power button for 5 seconds?”
“a forced shutdown does no good to the system.”

carlob

Forum Donor
The issue is that you don't understand what I am writing. When you remote control your mini (using VNC for example) is the same thing as hooking it to an external monitor and a keyboard. Your monitor is the pc that you are using to control the mini and the keyboard is the pc keyboard. You open a window and in that window you have the mini desktop, as you can see in the screenshot above in which I have my browser open and a mac mini window side by side, you can move the mini cursor using your mouse, you can click apple and turn it off you can launch apps.

carlob

Forum Donor
Maybe this screenshot is easier to understand. This is taken from my macbook pro right now: you see the desktop of my macbook pro and in a window the desktop of my remote mac mini with the usual interface, the menu bar etc. (this particular mac mini is in another apartment in another city by the way). You can resize that window or make it full screen and work with your mac mini as it was hooked to an external monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Screenshot 2021-06-12 at 19.00.48.png

Top Bottom