• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Playing Apple Music HiRes

MrBurnside

iOS device + DAC​

Pros​

• Rather cheap hardware near the HiFi system (a second hand iPhone is enough)
  • Changes dynamically the audio resolution (bit perfect)
  • Compatible to DAC at least up to 192kHz/24bits PCM

Cons​

• Can not be controlled remotely from an other iOs/macOS device: you need to stand up from your chair to change tracks

I stumbled into a solution for remotely controlling a dedicated HiFi iPhone - grab one of these CarPlay screens and connect your iPhone to CarPlay on the device. Put the screen wherever you sit and you have control of playback on a hardwired iPhone. The screen has to be plugged in for power, but as long as it's within Bluetooth range of the phone, you can control playback and see album art. Works with any CarPlay-compatible app.

Last edited:

SciencePlatt

I spent hours comparing streaming Apple Music on TVOS to Apple Music on Apple TV 4K previous gen. Hdmi Arc Hdmi extractor coax dac.

What I realized is that Apple Music via tvOS is still only 16 bit. While the Apple TV outputs 24 Bit.

With some newly released material you can actually hear the difference.

if you like Apple Music as do I, you are wise to go there via a computer for pre Loaded high res, but a sold sounding 24/48 from the Apple TV makes it a winner over tvOS. I wish Santa would bring 96 khz streaming.

PS Apple TV syncs with your device and allows itunes on the device to be an illustrated remote control of sorts, Apple TV syncs and originates the signal with its own iTunes.
The original device could be turned off and the Apple TV wold continue to play from an identical playlist etc…

Last edited:
Top Bottom