• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple HomePod Measurement

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

This picture cracks me up:

tt-n500_mv_1200x480_b170567069aed0198f46c06b49bd13ce.jpg

Perfect hipster millennial.

Mono smart speaker (Sonos?) + vinyl

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess it is probably better than those Crossley or Victrola record player things they sell at supermarkets and some record shops. Sonos speakers are very good within their limits.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you dislike the green tubes bolted on to the top like bad breast implants?

MTI100-Angle-landing-P.ashx

Or hate even more the green-lit platter with VU that looks like something from a vintage Frankenstein movie?

MT10-Angle-landing-J.ashx
Both. They scream, our customers are idiots who will buy anything dripping with our brand design language.

On the other hand hi-fi manufacturers selling turntables makes sense, the following I cannot decode at all beyond WTF has a turntable got to do with their product. And notice how they have redesigned their logo to look like an LP.

Screenshot_20190818-161053__01.jpg

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Both. They scream, our customers are idiots who will buy anything dripping with our brand design language.

On the other hand hi-fi manufacturers selling turntables makes sense, the following I cannot decode at all beyond WTF has a turntable got to do with their product. And notice how they have redesigned their logo to look like an LP.

View attachment 31630
Ah , imagery, marketing and their association.

Giving something modern and possibly perceived as flimsy gravity weight and ' legitimacy' .

It's quite clever.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting. But those measurements don't seem to reflect what I heard when I owned Homepods, notably the excessive bass.

Spinorama measurements previously posted here do:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...orama-measurements-of-the-apple-homepod.7417/

I bought a HomePod at release but returned it quickly because it didn't end up fitting our needs and sounded a little muddy to me as well. I bet there have been several firmware updates since then, which may have also altered the spectral balance.

My wife has expressed displeasure a few times now at the large Soundfield Audio Monitor 1's in our bedroom. They sound wonderful even in a sub-optimal install: toppled, atop a built-in cabinet right up against a sloping wall. The problems are their size and I think more so the outdated cherry veneer cabinets. Satin or semi-gloss white would look much nicer. If there was an app to get our Uverse channels or broadcast channels to an AppleTV then a pair of HomePods would be a nice solution. I'm still pushing for updated cabinets for the SAM1's - they are really good speakers! - so maybe I won't mention this thread just yet. :)

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone tested their directivity when used as a stereo pair? They throw a very stable stereo image with a wide soundstage.

Top Bottom