• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple dongle alternative?

wizzie

I can't buy the good apple dong in the EU so i need something else around that price point to get cleaner audio for my IEMs (Final E1000 and QKZ VK4). I can buy from aliexpress too. Thanks!

Edit: My motherboard has ALC1220 audio, but i can always hear static with the VK4 and sometimes with the E1000. I saw the CS43131 and ALC5686 dongles but they are too many and i have no idea which one to get.

Last edited:

Saidera

I understand. There are simply too many right now. Last year when I got my first dongle, an ALC4042, it was on Archimago's advice. I disliked that dongle. Then I got Sonata HD Pro for its DSD and because the S8 variant measured well on ASR. Then I got the Apple dongle because Sonata HD Pro was held up for 4 months.

ALC5686 is a hit or miss. You can look at these subjective views here on JCALLY dongles: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/40-...ted-and-ranked-subjective-impressions.958216/

CS43131 is cheapest and objectively verified on Meizu Hifi or Tempotec Sonata HD Pro. The current dual dac descendants haven't been measured much, nor have the chips inside them been exposed after a tear-down. Plus, they're more expensive.

Anyone interested in seeing dozens of dongles side by side? See the pics here.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/usb-c-to-3-5mm-adapters-dac-lets-find-the-best.908839/page-167

I will stick to the trusty Apple/Meizu/Sonata HD Pro trio, for there's no real reason for these ultra expensive, latest late-comers with unnecessary dual dacs to steal the show.

There is no Apple dongle alternative - the Microsoft Surface dongle is just not good enough. Meizu Hifi is probably gone now.

3125b

Major Contributor
You can get the European A2155 dongle. Puts out only 0.5Vrms, but that is more than enough for your IEMs and I measured the 50mV SINAD at a very good 89dB.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't buy the good apple dong in the EU so i need something else around that price point to get cleaner audio for my IEMs (Final E1000 and QKZ VK4). I can buy from aliexpress too. Thanks!

Edit: My motherboard has ALC1220 audio, but i can always hear static with the VK4 and sometimes with the E1000. I saw the CS43131 and ALC5686 dongles but they are too many and i have no idea which one to get.

I have the S1220 in my gaming motherboard, and have a Soundblaster Play!3 from a few years ago and I'd put them exactly even in performance if you just install it, then turn on high gain and disable software enhancements in Windows since the Command that comes with it is pretty lame. Also you can set it to stereo and normal gain and just use it as a DAC. It's about the same as a cell phone output, but if it's available cheap it's not bad.

alterbridg3

Moondrop just released their budget dongle, anyone bought it or plan on buying it? If so please care to tell how it fares with Apple dongle, thanks in advance. Heres the listing:

stephen4567

I've ordered one on Oct 1 from Moondrop's AliExpress store.
Will post measurements on ASR once it's here.
Could take a while though as Oct 1-7 is a national holiday during which no packages get shipped out.
Did you end up getting this? Thinking about picking one up but wanted to see some 3rd party measurements first.

mc.god

There is also a new 7hz 71 dongle dac for $35. AK4377, 32/384, DSD128(DoP), 1V, 3.5mm SE, LED format light.
Can order from Amazon US.
Does anyone know if the 7Hz 71 can deliver full 2V output when connected at high impedance load as a pure dac?
Can't find any measurement and specs everywhere say just about 1V @ 32ohm load but hothing at high impedance.
Don't know if the AK4377 has autosense of the load just like CS43131 or ESS 9219 used in other dongles and limits the volts at low ohms, at ak site says "2Vrms Line Driver" but is not clear since the line is blank, not saying "yes" as for other features.

Top Bottom