• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

First IEM setup with dac and perhaps mic, UGREEN dongle enough?

cpucpu

I'm doing my first IEM setup (mainly phone music, desktop movies, and light gaming). My previous audio experience resorts to jbl lsr305 monitors (neutral, with nice bass). I got sick and now am hard of hearing, so i need a more direct audio feed to better hear voices/dialog. I recently got jbl live pro 2 (bluetooths), but the shape/size is physicaly painful after a little while. In brief, I like neutral sound with lots of bass where the audio file intends.

I just got these from amazon:
  1. Linsoul 7Hz x Crinacle Zero:2
  2. Fanmusic TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero:RED
  3. Linsoul SIMGOT EM6L
  4. LETSHUOER S12
my impressions:
  1. ok, ok bass but voices are lower quality
  2. good, nice bass, kinda warmer sound
  3. best, neutral, highest volume, most bass
  4. odd, most expensive, like simgots but a bit lower volume and bass
some questions:
  1. Is UGREEN USB C to 3.5mm dongle enough to drive these? is what i use, didnt get the apples since i use android and heard there were issues
  2. Is there there any other iem i should test/buy? (did NOT get timeless, heyday, as was expecting these to be enough)
  3. I'm also considering ditching bluetooth and go full iem (so would need mic support), im currently researching these keysions, Is it a good idea/any good cables with mic?
Thank you so much.

Last edited:

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Apple USB to 3.5mm only $9. Ugreen makes good cables, but for the same price, the Apple DAC is better. The Simgot EA500 (not the LM which has mids too recessed) is better than the EM6L. The 7hz Timeless (not the AE which has a lame dynamic bass driver) is better than the S12. Also the Tanchjim Hannah is an upgrade.
The Zero:2 is wonderful, would keep them as a baseline to judge other IEMs for the price. The Zero Red are excellent and equalizing the bass is fun. The Apple adapter has plenty of power for any IEM, only the Tanchjim Space is a clear upgrade using the 4.4mm side but costs a lot more.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm doing my first IEM setup (mainly phone music, desktop movies, and light gaming). My previous audio experience resorts to jbl lsr305 monitors (neutral, with nice bass). I got sick and now am hard of hearing, so i need a more direct audio feed to better hear voices/dialog. I recently got jbl live pro 2 (bluetooths), but the shape/size is physicaly painful after a little while. In brief, I like neutral sound with lots of bass where the audio file intends.

I just got these from amazon:
  1. Linsoul 7Hz x Crinacle Zero:2
  2. Fanmusic TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero:RED
  3. Linsoul SIMGOT EM6L
  4. LETSHUOER S12
my impressions:
  1. ok, ok bass but voices are lower quality
  2. good, nice bass, kinda warmer sound
  3. best, neutral, highest volume, most bass
  4. odd, most expensive, like simgots but a bit lower volume and bass
some questions:
  1. Is UGREEN USB C to 3.5mm dongle enough to drive these? is what i use, didnt get the apples since i use android and heard there were issues
  2. Is there there any other iem i should test/buy? (did NOT get timeless, heyday, as was expecting these to be enough)
  3. I'm also considering ditching bluetooth and go full iem (so would need mic support), im currently researching these keysions, Is it a good idea/any good cables with mic?
Thank you so much.
If I understand you , you have and are using the ugreen dongle ? If you are listening as loud as you want to go with any of those iem , aren't at max volume and don't hear distortion then yes, it's enough power .

What is the source of your music ? Local files on the phone or one of the streaming services (which one ?)I would strongly urge you to consider using eq to play around with the sound rather than the more laborious and costly route of trying and buying more .

Also , ensure you are getting a good seal with all of those iem . Tip rolling may be required . Try the alternating tone test here https://asiaudio.com/pages/audio-seal-test

OP
C

cpucpu

@Dunring
I'm unsure of less bass than the EM6L, the hannah isnt available on amazon.com, only left is the timeless which is kinda the most expensive im willing to go. I kinda dont like the reds sound, i'll get the apple dongle just to try (did wanted to deal with android issues rooting phone...).

@Jimbob54
Yes im using that ugreen dongle. I can only listen like halve of when i was healthy, so i tend to max out volume (I want to listen as loud of what the iems are intended). I would prefer to stick to my studio monitors because fo the bass BUT I can't hear dialog/higher freq. clearly anymore. As for sources, 320kbps local files for music & 4k BR rips with org audios. No issues buying some stuff as long as i am within the return window. I prefer to plug and play since i dont know much about EQ and to avoid redo it in different devices. I think am sealing ok.

Last edited:
OP
C

cpucpu

BTW my zoom F3 as interface sounds considerably louder than the ugreen.

Top Bottom