• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AOSHIDA SMSL C200 Review (DAC & Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 58 17.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 260 78.8%

• Total voters

DeDovla

Anyone else experiences headphone out just stopping for no apparent reason? The source continues to play, so USB isn't disconnected. Only way to fix is to stop playback, turn off C200 and back on
As someone who has owned this product for almost a year or so, I get this issue as well, but I found a partial fix. I tried applying the firmware that SMSL was providing through the website but it didn't fix the issue.

Turns out it is related to the Electrostatic Discharge problem that was discussed in this thread earlier. My chair would release static electricity every time I would stand up from it and then I would get the issue you described (no sound through HP out even though the device is still turned on and not disconnected, only restart fixes it).

Partial fix for me was that I put a cotton pillow (the pillow cover should be out of cotton and not synthetic materials to be more precise) to make the chair comfier but it also reduces the build-up of static electricity. Why I say it's partial it's because now it happens maybe once a day or once in a few days, however it's still better than any time I stand up from the chair. The issue has something to do with grounding, probably the chair isn't grounded properly because the wheels are plastic, but I even tried placing C200 on wood and further away and I would still get the issue.

Otherwise since this is my first post, thanks to amirm for all the work and measurements he's done so far (still waiting for DT 1990 measurements with both pads and EQ profiles). The C200 is a wonderful product were it not for the DL200 which is slightly newer and basically replaces it, the C200 would still be the king of this price bracket and class of products for me at least (despite this issue). I use filter 6 and honestly even though I can't hear difference between them, I trust the measurements and many facts pointing that Fast Linear is usually the way to go. The AMP in both C200 and DL200 should be a bit better to really round out the product, but the amp is really competent, it can drive many different headphones (K361, DT 770 80 Ohm, DT 1990 all on low gain 65-70 volume (K361 at even lower volume), also runs Sennheiser 660S great), as well as IEMs (Truthear Zero Reds, Simgot EM6L). I even tried running the DT 880 600Ohms, and while it can do so at high gain you had to go really high up on volume. Whoever needs a better amp can add one on top if needed such as the Atom Amp 2, Topping L50/L30II.

hifime

As someone who has owned this product for almost a year or so, I get this issue as well, but I found a partial fix. I tried applying the firmware that SMSL was providing through the website but it didn't fix the issue.

Turns out it is related to the Electrostatic Discharge problem that was discussed in this thread earlier. My chair would release static electricity every time I would stand up from it and then I would get the issue you described (no sound through HP out even though the device is still turned on and not disconnected, only restart fixes it).

Partial fix for me was that I put a cotton pillow (the pillow cover should be out of cotton and not synthetic materials to be more precise) to make the chair comfier but it also reduces the build-up of static electricity. Why I say it's partial it's because now it happens maybe once a day or once in a few days, however it's still better than any time I stand up from the chair. The issue has something to do with grounding, probably the chair isn't grounded properly because the wheels are plastic, but I even tried placing C200 on wood and further away and I would still get the issue.

Otherwise since this is my first post, thanks to amirm for all the work and measurements he's done so far (still waiting for DT 1990 measurements with both pads and EQ profiles). The C200 is a wonderful product were it not for the DL200 which is slightly newer and basically replaces it, the C200 would still be the king of this price bracket and class of products for me at least (despite this issue). I use filter 6 and honestly even though I can't hear difference between them, I trust the measurements and many facts pointing that Fast Linear is usually the way to go. The AMP in both C200 and DL200 should be a bit better to really round out the product, but the amp is really competent, it can drive many different headphones (K361, DT 770 80 Ohm, DT 1990 all on low gain 65-70 volume (K361 at even lower volume), also runs Sennheiser 660S great), as well as IEMs (Truthear Zero Reds, Simgot EM6L). I even tried running the DT 880 600Ohms, and while it can do so at high gain you had to go really high up on volume. Whoever needs a better amp can add one on top if needed such as the Atom Amp 2, Topping L50/L30II.
Thanks. Mine is sitting on wooden desk. It seems to happen more when I move, like bob my head. Thought maybe I disconnected the cable but it's really nowhere hard enough to dislodge or even move it much. I'm now touching the cable, connection, and knob deliberately and can't trigger it. I do have carpeted floor

Got this for $125 used and I'm quite happy, except for this one thing. I'll head over to the DL200 thread and see how the grass is there :)

DarrylG

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for responding. What source are you using? USB, spdif, etc. 6.5mm or 4.4mm connection? (I have the same problem in both, actually).

I searched the thread and seems a couple people have had this problem, but who knows if it's caused by the same thing, or even if it's the same problem as I'm having.

Wonder if it's my setup or I'm just unlucky.
I'm using USB and the 6.5mm headphone jack.

hifime

This may sound dumb but try putting a cable or just an adapter in the headphone jack you are not using. I.e., if you're using balanced HP cable, put an 3.5mm to 6.5mm adapter in the 6.5mm jack. Still testing, but this seems to have fixed the issue for me.

DeDovla

This may sound dumb but try putting a cable or just an adapter in the headphone jack you are not using. I.e., if you're using balanced HP cable, put an 3.5mm to 6.5mm adapter in the 6.5mm jack. Still testing, but this seems to have fixed the issue for me.

Since I exclusively use 6.35mm and have no 4.4mm adapter at hand, I'll test it once I get my hands on it. Did you get the issue again or did it definitely get solved?

hifime

Since I exclusively use 6.35mm and have no 4.4mm adapter at hand, I'll test it once I get my hands on it. Did you get the issue again or did it definitely get solved?
Hmm. I unpluged the other cable and now I haven't seen the bug again. So I don't know, I might've falsely attributed the fix to having something in both jacks when it was something else entirely. Hard to tell since the bug is so intermittent. Sorry, hope I haven't made you waste money

staticV3

Master Contributor
Planning to pair with edition xs. What is the power at 18ohm?
The Edition XS is 14Ω, actually.

At 14Ω, the C200 can output about 2.4W, which is enough to drive the Edition XS to 126dB SPL Peak.

You'll destroy your headphones and your ears, before you can reach the C200's limits.

hifime

The Edition XS is 14Ω, actually.

At 14Ω, the C200 can output about 2.4W, which is enough to drive the Edition XS to 126dB SPL Peak.

You'll destroy your headphones and your ears, before you can reach the C200's limits.
the box and their website both say 18Ω. You have a different source?

hifime

Is anyone else getting some distortion with C200 + edition XS in some lower freq? Using qobuz lossless/hires > audirvana > usb-C. exclusive usb mode, no upsampling, no software volume control.

TheShield

Just received this C-200 DAC today and coming from a Topping DX3 Pro +, I am very impressed and am liking the C-200 a lot more. I am liking the menu UI much better on this over the Topping and I think it looks better too as I prefer the white LED over the orange. So far I believe it sounds better too than the Topping. Got it for the exact same price (both are on sale right now).

I have some questions.

1) My unit didn’t come with a remote (had to email support to send me one). How do you power on and off the unit without the remote?
2) If I don’t plan on using it on the PC at all, does it matter which I select for the USB driver in the units menu? 1.1 or 2.0 shows.
3) Is the 4.4mm output really a 100% true balanced output? I saw a YouTube review on this unit and the guy said it wasn’t balanced. I am using the 6.35mm jack right now because I don’t have 4.4mm yet but has anyone noticed a difference in power and/or sound quality when using one output compared to the other?
4) What’s the overall consensus on SMSL long term reliability? I am a bit nervous because I read that SMSL doesn’t have good reliability long term.
5) The review in this thread mentioned that the C200 lacks power. I am using this on my Momentum 3’s right now and am finding plenty of power in high gain mode. Hovering around 60-70 volume. I am receiving my new HD660s2’s in a few days. I hope the C200 is powerful enough to drive those babies.

TIA

Last edited:

Joffy1780

Just received this C-200 DAC today and coming from a Topping DX3 Pro +, I am very impressed and am liking the C-200 a lot more. I am liking the menu UI much better on this over the Topping and I think it looks better too as I prefer the white LED over the orange. So far I believe it sounds better too than the Topping. Got it for the exact same price (both are on sale right now).

I have some questions.

1) My unit didn’t come with a remote (had to email support to send me one). How do you power on and off the unit without the remote?
2) If I don’t plan on using it on the PC at all, does it matter which I select for the USB driver in the units menu? 1.1 or 2.0 shows.
3) Is the 4.4mm output really a 100% true balanced output? I saw a YouTube review on this unit and the guy said it wasn’t balanced. I am using the 6.35mm jack right now because I don’t have 4.4mm yet but has anyone noticed a difference in power and/or sound quality when using one output compared to the other?
4) What’s the overall consensus on SMSL long term reliability? I am a bit nervous because I read that SMSL doesn’t have good reliability long term.
5) The review in this thread mentioned that the C200 lacks power. I am using this on my Momentum 3’s right now and am finding plenty of power in high gain mode. Hovering around 60-70 volume. I am receiving my new HD660s2’s in a few days. I hope the C200 is powerful enough to drive those babies.

TIA
1) You long press the volume knob to switch the unit on/off

2) If you aren't using the USB input, then it doesn't matter which option you choose.

3) No, the 4.4mm is not a balanced output. There is no difference in power/sound between the two.

4) Difficult to gauge, sometimes, but I've had my C200 for over a year without a single issue and I've had and SMSL DO100 for 18 months without one single issue as well.
I don't recall seeing as many people complaining about their SMSL products 'bricking' on here, but that is purely anecdotal.

5) I'm using mine with Sennheiser HD560s and it drives those to dangerous levels with plenty to spare, it will have no problem driving the 660s.

TheShield

1) You long press the volume knob to switch the unit on/off

2) If you aren't using the USB input, then it doesn't matter which option you choose.

3) No, the 4.4mm is not a balanced output. There is no difference in power/sound between the two.

4) Difficult to gauge, sometimes, but I've had my C200 for over a year without a single issue and I've had and SMSL DO100 for 18 months without one single issue as well.
I don't recall seeing as many people complaining about their SMSL products 'bricking' on here, but that is purely anecdotal.

5) I'm using mine with Sennheiser HD560s and it drives those to dangerous levels with plenty to spare, it will have no problem driving the 660s.

Thanks! It’s helps a lot.

Oh darn, so I ordered a 4.4mm -> 3.5mm balanced cable last night for nothing. I’ll return it. I’ll keep using the 6.3mm jack then.

Good to read your confidence in this brand. I’m really pleased with this unit, enjoying it a lot more than the Topping I had.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thanks! It’s helps a lot.

Oh darn, so I ordered a 4.4mm -> 3.5mm balanced cable last night for nothing. I’ll return it. I’ll keep using the 6.3mm jack then.

Good to read your confidence in this brand. I’m really pleased with this unit, enjoying it a lot more than the Topping I had.
Please, do not use 4.4mm->3.5mm headphone adapters, or any kind of balanced -> unbalanced headphone adapter.

They can damage your amp.

Single-ended -> single-ended is fine, and so are Bal->Bal and SE->Bal.

But if your headphones have a regular 3.5mm or 6.35mm cable, do not adapt them to balanced (differential) Headphone Amps.

TheShield

Please, do not use 4.4mm->3.5mm headphone adapters, or any kind of balanced -> unbalanced headphone adapter.

They can damage your amp.

Single-ended -> single-ended is fine, and so are Bal->Bal and SE->Bal.

But if your headphones have a regular 3.5mm or 6.35mm cable, do not adapt them to balanced (differential) Headphone Amps.

Thanks, good to know this. I have heard things about using adaptors but I didn't know they can damage the amp. I will return it once I receive it. It says included in the box with my 660s2 are a:
6.3mm cable
3.5mm cable
3.5mm to 6.3mm adaptor

I was trying to find a close up pic of these headphones to see the inputs. According to Sennheiser's manual, it says to plug whichever cable directly into the headphones input. But I highly doubt this set has a 3.5mm input, a 4.4mm input AND a 6.3mm input. Never seen any headphones in my life to have all of those jacks for inputs.

If it does then I will use direct 1:1 but if it doesn't, then continuing using the 3.5 female to 6.3mm male adaptor is fine right?

TheShield

I’m looking at this C200 DAC and you know, this is probably a reason why these can fail over time. The unit can get quite warm when used and there is not a single vent on the device. Like really? You would think this is common sense when designing this unit. The heat has nowhere to escape. Heat in electronics is the #1 killer.

Joffy1780

I’m looking at this C200 DAC and you know, this is probably a reason why these can fail over time. The unit can get quite warm when used and there is not a single vent on the device. Like really? You would think this is common sense when designing this unit. The heat has nowhere to escape. Heat in electronics is the #1 killer.
Mine is barely above room temperature now and I've had music playing continuously for about 90 minutes at what I would consider a very loud level (I wasn't listening) so I can't see it being an issue.

TheShield

Mine is barely above room temperature now and I've had music playing continuously for about 90 minutes at what I would consider a very loud level (I wasn't listening) so I can't see it being an issue.

I may put a clip on fan pointed above mine to be safe. Cheap insurance. I can't see this being good long term, all the heat trapped inside. What was SMSL thinking by not putting a vent on it?

Top Bottom