• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AOSHIDA SMSL C200 Review (DAC & Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 58 17.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 260 78.8%

• Total voters

JJFUSA

They are identical. The clarity will depend on amp and even more so the speakers and the recording quality (+mixing / mastering).
I recommend the C200 because for me it's the price-performance king at the moment, I also prefer the SMSL remote as I find it to be more responsive although I'm unsure if newer Topping have improved on this.
After doing some research, I think C200 is the best DAC/AMP I can get for ~$200 right now, prior to that I was aiming at DX3 Pro+, but some reviewers put C200 on higher rank in terms of "fullness" of the sound in the midrange especially.

Question to you, since I'm looking for the most neutral/uncolored/linear/flat/pure/reference level of the frequency response completely faithful to the original sound, and I essentially don't want any so-called warm/velvet and similar source altered devices, does C200 fits me better than DX3 Pro+?

Bleib

Major Contributor
After doing some research, I think C200 is the best DAC/AMP I can get for ~$200 right now, prior to that I was aiming at DX3 Pro+, but some reviewers put C200 on higher rank in terms of "fullness" of the sound in the midrange especially.

Question to you, since I'm looking for the most neutral/uncolored/linear/flat/pure/reference level of the frequency response completely faithful to the original sound, and I essentially don't want any so-called warm/velvet and similar source altered devices, does C200 fits me better than DX3 Pro+?
I've had the DX3 as well and I couldn't hear any difference. The reason SMSL has a higher recommendation because it has balanced out, a more responsive remote and runs cooler.
Your headphones, loudspeakers will have a lot more to say about the final sound, you can't really go wrong with either.

And I will add that I haven't done quick A vs B tests. It's very difficult to decibel match and be without biases. Both of these DACs are better than most recordings, let's just put it that way too.

Last edited:

JJFUSA

I've had the DX3 as well and I couldn't hear any difference. The reason SMSL has a higher recommendation is because it is has balanced out, a more responsive remote and runs cooler.
Your headphones, loudspeakers will have a lot more to say about the final sound, you can't really go wrong with either.

And I will add that I haven't done quick A vs B tests. It's very difficult to decibel match and be without biases. Both of these DACs are better than most recordings, let's just put it that way too.
Thanks a lot.

Interesting, perhaps it's biased visions or intentionally applied marketing of some reviewers.

MrOtto

Would this be a good audio interface for use with PC and JBL LSR310S and JBL 305P MKII? Maybe one of the cheapest balanced DAC/AMP combos with manual volume knob. Does it adjust the level on the TRS balanced ouput? Also considering Topping EX5.

Last edited:

unfit327

I have had the C200 since Christmas. The sound is amazing but I have one small issue that I fixed and one major issue that I need some suggestions for. The small issue was the clicking when starting and stopping audio. The fix for this was installing the driver software and modifying a cxl file to allow always on streaming to be turned on instead of on demand.

My major issue is only when uskng headphones. Often when I'm wearing headphones for no matter how long, I will take them off to do something and walk away and when I come back I have no audio? The only way to fix it is to power the DAC off and on again. Anyone have any ideas what might cause this?

Allank

Allank

And...in over 50 years of personal & professional experience with audio gear...inserting a jack into the headphone input always automatically muted the speaker outputs and allowed the volume control to adjust headphone volume. This included the iFi DAC that the C200 replaced.

Now about that display default...

It's a strange new world we live in!

:)
Professional monitor controllers and monitor control sections of mixers have separate controls for headphones sand monitors and definitely don't switch in and out by plugging in headphones.

My 3000 dollar (at the time) A&H mixer has separate controls, as does my 600 dollar Behringer X18.

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
So I'm using this behind this automatic SPDIF switch, and I occasionally get issues where it won't actually play the signal unless/until I power cycle. Odd. I like this thing from a sound quality point of view, but the usability is a bit clunky for me.

Allank

So I'm using this behind this automatic SPDIF switch, and I occasionally get issues where it won't actually play the signal unless/until I power cycle. Odd. I like this thing from a sound quality point of view, but the usability is a bit clunky for me.
It's probably losing the clock when that switch kicks in.
Maybe try loosening up the pll settings (set to a higher number)

Good chance that switch is adding jitter too.

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
It's probably losing the clock when that switch kicks in.
Maybe try loosening up the pll settings (set to a higher number)

Good chance that switch is adding jitter too.
Ooh good call on the PLL Settings, I have it pretty low right now.

And I'd need to dig up the forum thread, but this thing actually cleans up SPDIF signals. Like a big wig at RME did measurements on it and the jitter levels from this thing were like...comically low.

Edit: Found it! https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?pid=149763#p149763

Allank

Ooh good call on the PLL Settings, I have it pretty low right now.

And I'd need to dig up the forum thread, but this thing actually cleans up SPDIF signals. Like a big wig at RME did measurements on it and the jitter levels from this thing were like...comically low.

Edit: Found it! https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?pid=149763#p149763
Interesting.. it might just be at that moment when the switch is occuring that a change in clock signal confuses the SMSL.... That post actually makes me think of getting one for myself.

BTW - I can't seem to get confirmation, does the C200 unit drive both the RCA and XLR outputs simultaneously?

Last edited:

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
Interesting.. it might just be at that moment when the switch is occuring that a change in clock signal confuses the SMSL.... That post actually makes me think of getting one for myself.

BTW - I can't seem to get confirmation, does the C200 unit drive both the RCA and XLR outputs simultaneously?
Yeah, that's my guess. I do recommend it, it's been a core part of my desk setup for years now.

I haven't tested simultaneous output, but unlike the Topping EX5 there's no option between RCA and XLR output so I'd assume it's both simultaneously.

Claudex

Hi everyone, I've been reading along ASR for quite some time and now I've just registered to post this here.
I do have some issues with my c200.
I bought it as an alternative to the DX3Pro+, because the former showed the DPLL related dropouts when playing from an HDMI audio extractor digital signal. So I bought the c200 on Aoshida's recommendation (I also exchanged the HDMI extractor, nevertheless :D ). Although IMHO c200's display and usability and the flat volume knob are ridiculous, and it's the only device in my home that picks up (close by) mobile phone connection interference in 2023, I do enjoy the overall quality and also the 6.35mm "balanced" jack e.g. for my Hifiman HE400se.

Within few days of only a couple hours of listening, I experienced three malfunctions (or unintended behavior):
  1. One time I plugged in the 6.35mm jack of my beyerdynamic 880, but not yet completely, about 0.5 cm were missing, before I pushed it in completely. The music was distorted for a second (fair enough) then the c200 system apparently shut down and restarted.
  2. One time I sat back on my sofa forgetting the short cord of the Hifiman, pulling just a little on the cord and c200. The music stopped and could not be reactivated by any means through the menu (changing inputs back and forth), but only by turning the device off an on.
  3. One time while changing inputs (still new to the system and testing out the sound) the music also stopped, same procedure as in #2.
I must say that all of the above was very gently, I am cautious and caring with all devices. As an engineer and computer scientist, it seems to me this shouldn't happen except with a faulty design or a faulty unit. Also, I am back to the question what device to get with a 6.35mm jack DAC/headphone amp with BT <200 EUR.

Any similar experiences or ideas about the root cause? Thanks.

Allank

Hi everyone, I've been reading along ASR for quite some time and now I've just registered to post this here.
I do have some issues with my c200.
I bought it as an alternative to the DX3Pro+, because the former showed the DPLL related dropouts when playing from an HDMI audio extractor digital signal. So I bought the c200 on Aoshida's recommendation (I also exchanged the HDMI extractor, nevertheless :D ). Although IMHO c200's display and usability and the flat volume knob are ridiculous, and it's the only device in my home that picks up (close by) mobile phone connection interference in 2023, I do enjoy the overall quality and also the 6.35mm "balanced" jack e.g. for my Hifiman HE400se.

Within few days of only a couple hours of listening, I experienced three malfunctions (or unintended behavior):
  1. One time I plugged in the 6.35mm jack of my beyerdynamic 880, but not yet completely, about 0.5 cm were missing, before I pushed it in completely. The music was distorted for a second (fair enough) then the c200 system apparently shut down and restarted.
  2. One time I sat back on my sofa forgetting the short cord of the Hifiman, pulling just a little on the cord and c200. The music stopped and could not be reactivated by any means through the menu (changing inputs back and forth), but only by turning the device off an on.
  3. One time while changing inputs (still new to the system and testing out the sound) the music also stopped, same procedure as in #2.
I must say that all of the above was very gently, I am cautious and caring with all devices. As an engineer and computer scientist, it seems to me this shouldn't happen except with a faulty design or a faulty unit. Also, I am back to the question what device to get with a 6.35mm jack DAC/headphone amp with BT <200 EUR.

Any similar experiences or ideas about the root cause? Thanks.
Are you using proper TRS to XLR balanced cables.
If you are using TS cables and the C200 doesn't switch to unbalanced signal that could be picking up the mobile noise.

You are plugging in your headphones to the front 6.35mm jack? The back ones are balanced line level for plugging into amps/active speakers

Claudex

You are plugging in your headphones to the front 6.35mm jack? The back ones are balanced line level for plugging into amps/active speakers
Thanks for your answer. Yes, I plug in the headphones to the front jack and the quality is excellent.

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
Would this be a good audio interface for use with PC and JBL LSR310S and JBL 305P MKII? Maybe one of the cheapest balanced DAC/AMP combos with manual volume knob. Does it adjust the level on the TRS balanced ouput? Also considering Topping EX5.

So what's funny is that I have everything there except for the LSR310S and have the original 305P – and yes, you can use these with those speakers just fine.

If you're just trying to choose between the two, I'd say this:

1) The SMSL's USB and Bluetooth only turn on when you select the inputs. This might be an advantage or disadvantage based on your use case. It also has the UAC 1.1 mode that works with the PS5, might work with the Switch but I can't get it working. SMSL says it should work with the Switch though. YMMV. I've also had some issues mentioned in the thread with it locking onto my PC's SPDIF output but this could be due to special hardware that I'm using too.

2) The Topping lets you choose between RCA, XLR, or both outputs. It also has a nifty auto on feature. Also the Bluetooth and USB inputs always being active might work well for your use case!

Both are perfectly transparent, drive my most demanding headphone (ATH-R70X) and I'm happy with them. The EX5 is at my TV setup, my C200 at my desk. So you're choosing based on those other usability factors. But either will work with your setup!

Allank

2) The Topping lets you choose between RCA, XLR, or both outputs. It also has a nifty auto on feature. Also the Bluetooth and USB inputs always being active might work well for your use case!
Hey @WondrousHippo
Does this imply the SMSL sends to both outputs simultaneously?

Top Bottom