• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AOSHIDA SMSL C200 Review (DAC & Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 58 17.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 260 78.8%

• Total voters

bkjernisted

There is a free trial of the dolby atmos app.

This is coil whine. The same thing happens with PC power supply, or coils in your GPU. With a computer power supply this noise usually occurs with high power load (very high FPS), but this can also happen with low load on the PSU (your case with C200). The noise is totally random, some people will have it very bad, while others will have zero noise. The only thing manufactures can do to reduce (but not emilite) the noise is put some glue on the coils.
This is the downside of internal psu - higher chance of interference.
I just experienced this with my unit. I switch it off completely and the buzzing/whine noise started in the unit, audible about 15cm away. If you switch it on, the noise disappears, or if that doesn't work, changing the input or sample rate also causes it to disappear. Once switched off after doing the aforementioned, the noise disappears.

gmoney

Anyone have issues with this thing constantly clicking based on media playback? You go to youtube to a gif with audio or your media player and it ticks/clicks with each new source from your headphones or speakers. I have my screen set to shut off at idle so when these clicks occur the screen turns itself back on as if its changing audio format every time a new audio stream is played.

Its super annoying and really shouldn't be doing this. Hope they release a firmware update but chances are we'll just get an updated version since they churn out new devices every week.

EDIT: Solution is at the bottom of page 10 of this thread:

I'm not going to rely on a driver to solve something that shouldn't be happening to a plug and play device to begin with. Going to get rid of this thing and avoid SMSL.

Last edited:
Anyone have issues with this thing constantly clicking based on media playback? You go to youtube to a gif with audio or your media player and it ticks/clicks with each new source from your headphones or speakers. I have my screen set to shut off at idle so when these clicks occur the screen turns itself back on as if its changing audio format every time a new audio stream is played.

Its super annoying and really shouldn't be doing this. Hope they release a firmware update but chances are we'll just get an updated version since they churn out new devices every week.

I'm not going to rely on a driver to solve something that shouldn't be happening to a plug and play device to begin with. Going to get rid of this thing and avoid SMSL.
Page 10 fixes the issue. I fixed mine the 1st day I got it and it's been great ever since.

vitalyx

I don’t think it is been mentioned already :
Be sure to use cables with very slim TRS connectors if you plan on using the balanced output of this tiny DAC.

The two TRS outputs are so close to each other, it will not accept my two cables with Hicon TRS connectors at the same time.

I thought Hicon TRS were quite standard connectors but it seems SMSL does not agree.

(Don’t even think about plugging two TRS to XLR adaptors if you wanted to use pre-owned XLR cables with this DAC)

I am pretty disappointed as I bought those TRS to XLR cables specifically for this unit. I am now looking for cables with super slim TRS connectors, if anybody can share a reference of cables that fit on the back of the C200, it would be much appreciated. Thanks
I got these, work great: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07STSTNS2

Pouyoux

I am now looking for cables with super slim TRS connectors, if anybody can share a reference of cables that fit on the back of the C200, it would be much appreciated. Thanks
I bought 2 x TRS to XLR cables from Cordial (CFM1,5MV) for a total cost of 14,5€ : https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B002EKZL4O, no problem to connect them both to the C200.

Last edited:

ironwolf60

this is not a problem with SMSL, its a problem with XMOS; i have a topping that does the same thing, you have to edit the driver xml to disable power saving

gmoney

this is not a problem with SMSL, its a problem with XMOS; i have a topping that does the same thing, you have to edit the driver xml to disable power saving
I have never owned a Topping device that did this. I'm using a E70 right now and also have a MX5 + EX5.

mrjayviper

is the dac section truly balanced? I compared the product page of the Su8v2 vs C200 and the Su8v2 has 2x 9039q2m while this seems it only has 1. It seems it uses some electronic "trickery" to convert the unbalanced signal to balanced?

thanks

staticV3

Master Contributor
is the dac section truly balanced?
Yes.

It seems it uses some electronic "trickery" to convert the unbalanced signal to balanced?
It does not.
A single 9038Q2M chip will output a true differential signal for each channel:
Screenshot_20230122-142217_Drive.png

Veri

Master Contributor
is the dac section truly balanced? I compared the product page of the Su8v2 vs C200 and the Su8v2 has 2x 9039q2m while this seems it only has 1. It seems it uses some electronic "trickery" to convert the unbalanced signal to balanced?
The chip supports a differential output which is in fact balanced, the other one uses two chips 'dual mono' which can increase the specs/SNR a little.

Bleib

Major Contributor

bkjernisted

Bleib, do they have the same clarity of instruments. Is one more vailed or cloudy than the other? Thanks

Bleib

Major Contributor
Bleib, do they have the same clarity of instruments. Is one more vailed or cloudy than the other? Thanks
They are identical. The clarity will depend on amp and even more so the speakers and the recording quality (+mixing / mastering).
I recommend the C200 because for me it's the price-performance king at the moment, I also prefer the SMSL remote as I find it to be more responsive although I'm unsure if newer Topping have improved on this.

bkjernisted

Bleib, so clarity is the same on both the EX5 headphone amp and the C200 headphone amp? I am using Sundaras revised edition (newest) and audio-technica msr7b's. What about audio-technica r70x headphones? I am using the Peace EQ with Equalizer APO 1.3. Do they both have NFCA? Thanks Bleib

Bleib

Major Contributor
Bleib, so clarity is the same on both the EX5 headphone amp and the C200 headphone amp? I am using Sundaras revised edition (newest) and audio-technica msr7b's. What about audio-technica r70x headphones? I am using the Peace EQ with Equalizer APO 1.3. Do they both have NFCA? Thanks Bleib
In that case see how well they work under different loads, and how much power they give.

bkjernisted

I will let you know in a week Bleib. Won't be able to do a comparison till then. Thanks for your input.

Top Bottom